Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've found that .18 AP is a real step backwards from 15.12
Found the same as others on NOA - I can't use it for my commute, it keeps making too many odd/unneeded lane changes, usually in stop/go traffic.
Since .18, NoA doesn't take my home exit from the freeway. It sees it, turns on the blinker, keeps driving straight.

It also is very confused on the carpool lane a lot of places... gets out then right back in, is already in the carpool lane and puts the blinker on to change into a non-existent lane to the left, puts on the blinker to exit the lane when not possible turns it off, right back on, etc.

Where are the videos or photos of the phantom braking for trucks and bridges/shadows people are reporting?

I made a quick trip home on 101N just now and passed by a few trucks and under a few bridges. Nothing to report. MY w/4.18 and AP is working like normal. It's been like this since I got my Tesla about 11 months ago.

MY_not_phantom_braking.jpg

Where are the videos or photos of the phantom braking for trucks and bridges/shadows people are reporting?

I made a quick trip home on 101N just now and passed by a few trucks and under a few bridges. Nothing to report. MY w/4.18 and AP is working like normal. It's been like this since I got my Tesla about 11 months ago.

View attachment 669604
I've been the same. There has been the occasional slow down, but not the slamming on the brakes that others are reporting.
Most of what I've seen isn't phantom braking, it just been an incorrect speed limit where its dropped from 65 to 35 (or really 68 down to 40). It slows down but its not braking and easily corrected - its just not very comfortable.

Not many people have phones ready in hand to capture. It's random in most places, but there are spots that happens all the time because of outdated maps especially in carpool lanes that once was a shoulder. There are many spots like this in LA and OC.

I-5 South to Irvine. Here it used to be 2 lanes becoming 1 as of last year (picture on Google map as of today), but for a whole year now, this is a 2 lane car pool lane. The car will reduce speed here and then slam the brakes at the next over pass. Cars are usually doing 80-85 mph here. Going from 85 to 50 is not fun when cars are tailgating you. I love changing lanes to the right and watch other Teslas slam on their brakes in the left lane. Now I don't see this as often because people are used of it and they power out.

1622850791712.png

Virtually all Teslas have a built-in dashcam. It's easy enough to save the clip after a phantom braking event.

That merge lane is a completely different issue.

Not many people have phones ready in hand to capture. It's random in most places, but there are spots that happens all the time because of outdated maps especially in carpool lanes that once was a shoulder. There are many spots like this in LA and OC.

I-5 South to Irvine. Here it used to be 2 lanes becoming 1 as of last year (picture on Google map as of today), but for a whole year now, this is a 2 lane car pool lane. The car will reduce speed here and then slam the brakes at the next over pass. Cars are usually doing 80-85 mph here. Going from 85 to 50 is not fun when cars are tailgating you. I love changing lanes to the right and watch other Teslas slam on their brakes in the left lane. Now I don't see this as often because people are used of it and they power out.

View attachment 669680

And there’s a voice command to save dash cam footage: Tesla voice command: Save Dashcam

I have saved a lot of footage, but by the time my USB is full, and I go back to look, I forgot why I saved them. I wish each clip could be set to 1 min or 2min. Plus the built in sentry cam doesn't show the speed.

Also, wish this site allows video uploads then I would probably review more of my clips and post them here.

View attachment 669604
So what is it about your car that is better? If there is some combination of settings, location, calibration etc that works better then why can't this be replicated everywhere? Some people have problems, others don't.

I find that interesting. What's the difference?

All Teslas in North America are currently built in the same plant by the same workers by the same company. We're talking about the same 4.18 firmware as well.

Roads are roads and trucks are trucks. There isn't a whole lot of variation.

I live in Silicon Valley aka Tesla-central. Teslas are everywhere and you can get amazing engagement with any Tesla-related issues, even if they're completely benign. We don't see that happening with phantom braking for some reason.

So what is it about your car that is better? If there is some combination of settings, location, calibration etc that works better then why can't this be replicated everywhere? Some people have problems, others don't.

I find that interesting. What's the difference?

• Helpful
Reactions: Dan D.
I was able to get a good Navigate on Autopilot test with this build yesterday.

If you are familiar with Las Vegas, you’ll recognize the spaghetti bowl freeway exchange. I only did minor speed adjustments, no disengagements.

In the UK, I've actually found a significant regression in regular Autopilot if you own EAP or any variant of NoA.

I upgraded and a perfectly functional "dumb" Autopilot suddenly became unusable. I refunded and it went back to being usable... I think all the NoA logic is tuned for America; in the UK you're far better off with plain-Jane Autopilot.

That said, I wish it read and remembered speed limits. Everytime I change lanes and re-engage AP it reverts to 70 in an average speed check "temporary" (for 3 years) 50 zone.

I did the reverse trip back home and saw some new behavior from Navigate on Autopilot or Regular FSD Autopilot.

I'm not sure if it is from an older build or from this 2021.4.18 build, but it seems to turn right onto city streets if the turn is curved, well marked, and has a designated traffic light.

This was the first time I have experienced this and was very impressed!

Virtually all Teslas have a built-in dashcam. It's easy enough to save the clip after a phantom braking event.

That merge lane is a completely different issue.
Happens here all the time because this lane was a shoulder last year. Finally no one behind me this weekend, but I wasn't comfortable waiting for it to stop. Usually people would tail gate me here as they try to do 80-85 while AP would only do 65 - 70 here.

20210620_174753.gif

Reactions: Chrushev