Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.4.21.3 AP nagging to put hands on wheel every 0.5 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vision Only Model Y (May 2021 build)

Autopilot has been working great until the recent software upgrade and now Autosteer will ask for hands on the wheel every 0.1 miles in the city and 0.6 miles on the freeway.

Has anyone else experienced this in the latest update? I was comfortable with not having to touch the wheel until every 2-3 miles or so on the freeway but now it’s really annoying and has me contemplating a hardware based workaround 🤔

you are supposed to touch the wheel at all times, you wouldn't as many nags if you did. The times I have removed my hands from the wheel (while continuing to pay attention where I'm going) I have had regular nags all the time. I don't think I've ever gone much longer than 30-40 seconds before it would prompt. That is, whatever the software version.

Autopilot has been working great until the recent software upgrade and now Autosteer will ask for hands on the wheel every 0.1 miles in the city and 0.6 miles on the freeway.

Has anyone else experienced this in the latest update? I was comfortable with not having to touch the wheel until every 2-3 miles or so on the freeway but now it’s really annoying and has me contemplating a hardware based workaround 🤔
I don‘t know how you got away with it that long. It has always been exactly 0.6 miles since I have gotten my Model Y last November. Same with my model S AP1 for at least the last few years before that.

1629258867605.jpeg

Reactions: techlogik and AquaY
Well, it seems like Autopilot is working as designed based on the replies here. What is the best way to arrange my seat/steering wheel positions so that my hand rests comfortably on the steering wheel to avoid the nags. I'm finding that just having my hand on the wheel isn't enough sometimes.

The counterweight idea was just a thought, I won't be following through with it at this time.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Well, it seems like Autopilot is working as designed based on the replies here. What is the best way to arrange my seat/steering wheel positions so that my hand rests comfortably on the steering wheel to avoid the nags. I'm finding that just having my hand on the wheel isn't enough sometimes.

The counterweight idea was just a thought, I won't be following through with it at this time.
For me, right elbow on the console and right hand at the bottom of the wheel is the least naggy. I could fall asleep in that position and wake up two counties away without a flash or beep. If I put both hands on the wheel, 2-and-10 or 3-and-9 and pay maximum attention, like driving through an unfamiliar city at rush hour, it'll nag (distract) me because my steering is matching its steering and it doesn't detect any torque. That's my honest-to-God experience with AP1, at least. Others report very different experiences. Good luck!

Why does it make it a stupid system? Because you only prefer to touch?

Because the nominal point of the system is to make sure my hand is on the wheel. Because they were overzealous and hubristic, thinking they'd be at L5 in a year or two and didn't plan properly for what happens if they weren't, we need to sit in some special hand placement position to put just the right amount of weight on the wheel to please the sensor, which isn't great when it's not a position that is comfortable. I like to drive with my left elbow on the window sill, and my left hand on the 9oclock position, which is reasonably comfortable but doesn't register with the car so I very frequently need to give a bit more of a downward push, and I KNOW that every time I have to do that, it's logged as "no hand on the wheel", not "our dumb system can't tell if a hand is on the wheel".

I for one love the system. I always keep my hand/hands on the wheel and the few times I do need to take them off it seems to be plenty long before the warning comes. But on trips it sure takes the load off of me and allows me to look around some. I feel much more rested when I get to where I am going.

Because the nominal point of the system is to make sure my hand is on the wheel.
The nominal point of the system is to make sure you are paying attention to the road.

I do agree that measuring steering wheel torque is a poor substitute for that, but Tesla is looking for more than just a simple hand on the steering wheel.

The nominal point of the system is to make sure you are paying attention to the road.

I do agree that measuring steering wheel torque is a poor substitute for that, but Tesla is looking for more than just a simple hand on the steering wheel.
Well, distracting me with alerts in the screen because their system is stupid isn't gonna help me pay attention to the road.

Just hang one hand on the wheel so the natural weight applies sufficient torque. experiment until you figure.it out. Its easy.
I guess it's just something for people who don't find it, they can't find it. It was easy for me too. Just my natural position on the steering wheel providing some resistance is enough for it to tell my hands are on the wheel. Keep in mind that it detects the torque (rotational) resistance to its movements. Just have your hand resisting some of its turning a bit and it knows.

I have seen people that want to apply pressure in the direction of the horn (like as if they are pushing on the horn but instead pushing on the wheel) and that does almost nothing to help, given the detection doesn't work in that direction.

Reactions: AlexHung