Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.4.3 shows Bluetooth music time remaining—sometimes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
It's a little thing, but I've wanted it for 2.5 years: time remaining in a song played via Bluetooth.

My most common music source is iTunes on my iPhone via a Bluetooth connection to the car. My $99 decade-old stereo in my old car could show track time on a Bluetooth song, but the Tesla couldn't. And then Saturday on my way to Costco with my spiffy new 2021.4.3, I noticed this:
IMG_1318.JPG

See that little "-6:20" under the song title? Cool! And it counted down nicely to zero at the end of the cut.

I would like it even better if it were a little progress bar, giving a feel for relative position within the song overall, but I'll take this.

Now here's the weird part. The timer only showed up for some songs, but not all. Let's say maybe half, though my errand wasn't long enough to have a very large sample space.

Next up: some way of showing what's behind the ellipsis after "Even in the Quietest..."

Has anyone worked out what's going on with this *Bluetooth progress bar*?

I've finally (after 227 days!!) updated from 2020.48.12.1 to 2021.12.25.7 after Netflix had stopped working and wanting a few bugs squashed. One of the things I was looking forward to was the progress bar when playing media back from my phone (a slight evolution from the 'time remaining' bit the OP had noticed and posted about above) - it seemed to appear initially but then after a reboot (as I always do after a new update) but then it vanished and has only intermittently returned since. I've tried restarting my phone and tried different tracks. Sometimes when changing track it reappears but not consistently. It can appear and not appear for the same track (e.g., working, then I park, get out, come back and it has disappeared again!). Spoke to a friend running iOS rather than Android and he noticed the same issue.

(As an aside - I've noticed Autopilot seems more surefooted and I like the next navigation direction showing up if something else is on screen but I'm still a bit surprised how much of the screen is lost to the empty visualisation area!)

Bluetooth - no progress bar.jpg

Bluetooth - with progress bar.jpg

Has anyone worked out what's going on with this *Bluetooth progress bar*?

I've finally (after 227 days!!) updated from 2020.48.12.1 to 2021.12.25.7 after Netflix had stopped working and wanting a few bugs squashed. One of the things I was looking forward to was the progress bar when playing media back from my phone (a slight evolution from the 'time remaining' bit the OP had noticed and posted about above) - it seemed to appear initially but then after a reboot (as I always do after a new update) but then it vanished and has only intermittently returned since. I've tried restarting my phone and tried different tracks. Sometimes when changing track it reappears but not consistently. It can appear and not appear for the same track (e.g., working, then I park, get out, come back and it has disappeared again!). Spoke to a friend running iOS rather than Android and he noticed the same issue.

(As an aside - I've noticed Autopilot seems more surefooted and I like the next navigation direction showing up if something else is on screen but I'm still a bit surprised how much of the screen is lost to the empty visualisation area!)

View attachment 693797
View attachment 693798
I’ve noticed if I stop a song or a podcast at a rest area, and resume where I left off, the progress (and often the cover art) is gone.

I’ve noticed if I stop a song or a podcast at a rest area, and resume where I left off, the progress (and often the cover art) is gone.
Thanks for confirming. If you get a second it might be worth filing a service request to log it - I've sent in photos of it there and not there and they're escalating it to the engineers, but more people logging it might help :)

Reactions: CharleyBC
So I opened a service request re this and logged bug reports a few times at their request. Had a call back from the Edinburgh technical team today to confirm they've tested a few times and managed to replicate the issue (with the same inconsistency we noticed). They escalated it and that person could also replicate but couldn't solve it either so have escalated again to the software team. No timeframe but at least they can see the bug too!

• Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC
So I opened a service request re this and logged bug reports a few times at their request. Had a call back from the Edinburgh technical team today to confirm they've tested a few times and managed to replicate the issue (with the same inconsistency we noticed). They escalated it and that person could also replicate but couldn't solve it either so have escalated again to the software team. No timeframe but at least they can see the bug too!
I still don't think this is fixed? One of my pet peeves is I don't know how much time is left in my podcast that I am streaming over BT.