Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.40.6 Model S update alerts and loss of functionality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an August 2015 build Model S 90D with AP1 and an upgrade to MCU2. I received 2021.40.6 over the air update on Nov 23 2021. I was greeted with the following alerts the next time I entered the vehicle:

- Automatic Emergency Braking is Disabled

- Power braking assist reduced

- Autopilot safety/features unavailable

- Cruise Control Disabled

- Autosteer Temporarily Disabled

Note that vehicle brake hold (used on a hill or at stop light) is disabled as well.

A reload of the OTA update following a remote session with the service center did not address the problem.

A visit to the service center corrected the alerts but I later found the Autopilot /Autosteer was still not functional and could not be brought to the service center's immediate attention as the vehicle was retrieved after hours.

I would welcome knowing if anyone else has had this or a similar firmware related issue relative to this update?

My thanks in advance for any assistance or guidance that is offered.

-TRED

Attachments

• Alerts Screen Shot .jpeg
    Alerts Screen Shot .jpeg
    631.2 KB · Views: 202
Thanks for your response! It is helpful to know that at least one other MS owner has been affected. My 2015 variant has received 4 attempted 40.6 firmware OTA updates which, to date have not been successful. It is now back at the service center for in-person diagnostics. I am hopeful that the root cause can be found and remedied. - Cheers!

Upvote 0
A follow up relative to my MS90D alerts after a firmware update. It is is now corrected after two trips to the service center. I am paraphrasing my understanding of the root cause. A stuck relay, which was not being monitored by the previous firmware version, caused the fault when the new version was pushed to my car. The relay was replaced and all functionality has returned. So in fairness, this was not an issue with 2021.40.6.

Reactions: Huskyf
Upvote 0
There are so many Model S owners including myself went through this. Mine is a 2012 Model S P85. After a software update, multiple warning messages popped up and the car was not drivable though all electronics was on. Had to be towed. Took a month at SC. They replaced the RDU and I had to pay $7500 (after going back and forth) out of pocket as the car was out of warranty (8 years/150k miles warranty) and I had put barely 55k miles till date.

Upvote 0
I have an August 2015 build Model S 90D with AP1 and an upgrade to MCU2. I received 2021.40.6 over the air update on Nov 23 2021. I was greeted with the following alerts the next time I entered the vehicle:

- Automatic Emergency Braking is Disabled

- Power braking assist reduced

- Autopilot safety/features unavailable

- Cruise Control Disabled

- Autosteer Temporarily Disabled

Note that vehicle brake hold (used on a hill or at stop light) is disabled as well.

A reload of the OTA update following a remote session with the service center did not address the problem.

A visit to the service center corrected the alerts but I later found the Autopilot /Autosteer was still not functional and could not be brought to the service center's immediate attention as the vehicle was retrieved after hours.

I would welcome knowing if anyone else has had this or a similar firmware related issue relative to this update?

My thanks in advance for any assistance or guidance that is offered.

-TRED
i have a similar issue: i have my cruise control disable and autopilot not available after the upgrade on Christmas 2021..
I have received an estimate cost to fix the issue of $900 by the tesla service...
this is not fair

Upvote 0
A follow up relative to my MS90D alerts after a firmware update. It is is now corrected after two trips to the service center. I am paraphrasing my understanding of the root cause. A stuck relay, which was not being monitored by the previous firmware version, caused the fault when the new version was pushed to my car. The relay was replaced and all functionality has returned. So in fairness, this was not an issue with 2021.40.6.
Did they tell you what the relay was for out of curiosity? I'm having the same exact issue after an update as well.

Upvote 0
They, nor the associated invoice, were no more specific beyond a stuck relay. The next time I visit the service center I will ask. For your consideration, have you tried a soft reboot (holding down booth scroll wheels until the screen turns off) and / or turning the car off (under safety and security "Power Off")? Alternatively, reach out to Tesla Service via the app and request that they re push the update again to you to attempt another re-install.

I hope this helps

Upvote 0
They, nor the associated invoice, were no more specific beyond a stuck relay. The next time I visit the service center I will ask. For your consideration, have you tried a soft reboot (holding down booth scroll wheels until the screen turns off) and / or turning the car off (under safety and security "Power Off")? Alternatively, reach out to Tesla Service via the app and request that they re push the update again to you to attempt another re-install.

I hope this helps
Appreciate it! I've tried all of that and nothing. Tesla is working remotely to try to diagnose the issue but I have a mobile appointment just in case.

Upvote 0