Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.44.25.2 Trip of Glitches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the 44.25.2 update on Dec. 23rd. Seemed ok with some useful improvements and some backward steps in usability (which have been discussed quite a bit in the forums.) I had a long trip from southern VA to north of Baltimore on Dec. 26th. It was about a 4 hour trip. Everything performed properly. After doing some around town driving that day, I hit the road the next day to return home. (It took about 6 hours to get back thanks to I-95 being backed up from DC all the way to Richmond.) Anyway, about 2.5 hours into the trip, things started to go haywire. First, I noticed that whenever the car would make a system sound, like AP being activated or deactivated, the music would come on very loud afterward, quickly returning to normal volume. Then I started getting clicks and drop outs from the sound system which got worse as time went by. This would happen randomly and affected both music and system sounds. Then, every time I would activate AP, the ribbon for turning the headlights on and off would pop up. I thought maybe I was hitting something accidentally when activating AP, but I verified that the double stalk clicks for AP were pulling up the headlight ribbon. Keep in mind that I stopped several times for food, charging, bathroom, etc. so the car was off a bunch of times but the glitches persisted across restarts. Eventually, I just turned off the music because I couldn't take the clicking anymore. I was on the home stretch so I figured I would just do a reset when I got home. When I got back into town, I had to make a quick stop. When I got back into the car and put it into reverse, the cameras popped up blank on the screen and the screen hard locked and would not respond at all. Again, I was almost home so I figured I would just reset then. BUT when I got on the road, I realized that the blinkers would not working at all! I quickly got off the road and did a reset. This cleared up all of the issues.

I worked in IT for many years and to me, this has all of the symptoms of a memory leak in the software. Somewhere in the programming, code is not clearing memory properly so as time goes on, the system starts to run out of memory which can lead to all kinds of issues as programs request memory only to find that it not available or that the glitchy program is writing into the others memory space. These issues might need a long drive like mine before they come to light because it takes a longer period before memory starts to become scarce.

Not sure if anyone has had issues like this, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to put my experience out there just in case someone starts seeing issues like this. Yes, a reset fixes the problems, but that's not always convenient to do on a long drive. YMMV.

Reactions: driver7
Definitely sounds like you had issues. In the future, keep in mind you can two button reset while driving. You don’t need to be stopped. It’s weird the first time you do it but no big deal the second time. And even though you dont hear the turn signals while it’s rebooting, they are working outside the car.