Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.44.30.5: Improved Phantom Braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone noticed an improvement with Phantom Braking after going to 2021.44.30.5?

Confirming improvements is difficult - as I don't have (or haven't noticed) a consistent place & scenario where it has been a problem in the past. But......

I just returned from a drive in the area that involved various 2-lane roads (daytime; one of those roads being where I've had some issues in the past) and I didn't experience *one* PB issue. I don't know for sure previous versions would have been able to do that, but not having any seems like an improvement.

Just curious if anyone has seen improvements.

[I'm speaking of only TACC - no Autopilot or FSD.....although the car has FSD.]

2022 MYLR.

I think there has been some slight improvement in PB (ie: less of it) in more recent releases of the Software ... but I'm amazed that more people aren't reporting it. To me it makes TACC unusable, except on motorways (freeways in the UK) - and even then I have experienced PB when vehicles move from 2 lanes away into the next lane to me. This is pretty rubbish for such a high-cost vehicle ... and something all other decent vehicles seem to manage with ease.

I think there has been some slight improvement in PB (ie: less of it) in more recent releases of the Software ... but I'm amazed that more people aren't reporting it. To me it makes TACC unusable, except on motorways (freeways in the UK) - and even then I have experienced PB when vehicles move from 2 lanes away into the next lane to me. This is pretty rubbish for such a high-cost vehicle ... and something all other decent vehicles seem to manage with ease.
Same - I think it's slightly better (but still bad) on the new v11 software, which is about the only improvement in that release. Likewise, it's pretty much unusable on two lane highways here and indeed it is crazy that a car in this price range doesn't have a usable cruise control.

If the car initiated a slow down and then the driver immediately hit the accelerator to override, the car should report the incident automatically.
Your assumption is that Tesla is not working the issue or needs more data regarding the problem. Tesla is certainly aware and working the issue. and should have plenty of data from their internal testers.

• Funny
Reactions: KArnold
After a couple of 35 mile drives yesterday my observations on 2021.44.30.21 are:-

Turns were much smoother.
Phantom stops were more like short slow-downs not the previous sudden jerks.
However I had four occurrences of a very annoying fault. Within a mile or less of a planned turn, in the appropriate lane for the turn, the car turned into the adjacent lane and once even into the next lane. No valid reason, traffic was quite heavy, and getting back into the turn lane was difficult and in one case impossible.

Reactions: Dewg
After a couple of 35 mile drives yesterday my observations on 2021.44.30.21 are:-

Turns were much smoother.
Phantom stops were more like short slow-downs not the previous sudden jerks.
However I had four occurrences of a very annoying fault. Within a mile or less of a planned turn, in the appropriate lane for the turn, the car turned into the adjacent lane and once even into the next lane. No valid reason, traffic was quite heavy, and getting back into the turn lane was difficult and in one case impossible.
I've seen this behavior several times myself. It feels like there are different aspects of the NN, each one running autonomously but interacting with each other. In this case, there is a subroutine who's job is to make sure you're going as fast as possible up to your set speed. This routine is responsible for making our cars change lanes when our lane isn't moving as fast as others. Then there's another subroutine who's job is to make sure we're in the correct lane for an upcoming turn. The different subroutines have priorities assigned to them for authority - perhaps each firmware we get tweeks those priorities.

I've noticed that newer firmware is getting better at moving towards the correct lane sooner. Still needs adjustment though. :)

The odd one for me is that is a spot on a highway by me in New Hampshire where the car violently phantom brakes EVERY SINGLE time. I've had the car for 30 months, probably drive on that highway once a month, and it happens every time. There's nothing that pops up on the screen because I look for false obstacles that the car might be seeing. I can't recall phantom braking at any other times since I've owned the car(33k miles).

• Informative
Reactions: DeepFrz and 2101Guy
I've gotten it once or twice on a clear freeway but I actually get it often when driving through neighborhood streets.
When I have the cruise control on and I drive pass a larger vehicle that's parked, my car will very often brake hard as I'm passing the front of the parked car.
I was an early adopter of the Model 3 with FSD and I've given up hope for FSD and Tesla's service level. There's a reason they are 1/5 stars on BBB.
I'm not anti Tesla, I am actually an investor but I'm not delusional either; give it time and you'll see for yourself.