Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.44.5 Uneven Tire Wear Detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a new feature in 2021.44.5 to detect uneven tire tread depth. Question, it you run tires that are not factory specification (I have 245/40/19 and they exceed factory specs) will this cause false warnings?
I'm guessing that the new feature measures the rotation of the 4 tires against each other and detects any mismatches. As long as your 4 tires are the same size (same diameter), it shouldn't matter what size they are for this feature. Of course, you will still need to rotate the tires front to back if your tread depths start drifting otherwise the car will detect the difference in rotations over time between the front and rear tires (especially if your car is RWD).

Good question. My assumption would be that the drive system is keeping track of the number of revolutions each tire is making. With a reduction of the thread depth, the tire will complete more rotations per given distance. IF the system is only looking at the difference between the tires, then it shouldn't matter what size you have.

edit: Beaten by an android! :) Guess I need to type faster.

I'm dubious about this feature. If, as others have suggested, the car is actually counting tire rotations and not measuring actual tread depth, then there is room for a lot of inaccuracy. Different road surfaces create different amounts of friction as tires travel on them. And I'm not just talking about asphalt vs. concrete. There are varying degrees of coarseness and friction on asphalt surfaces too.

I got this update several years ago ...

1639658642142.png

:D

Seriously though, I like the idea of an extra, more active system, that might bring your attention to an alignment issue that's wearing one tire quicker.

I'd assume Tesla has lots of data on hand to be able to have a baseline, though like @Shelburne said, lots of variables, including the specific tire you're using (vs. OEM).

I got this update several years ago ...

View attachment 744900

:D

Seriously though, I like the idea of an extra, more active system, that might bring your attention to an alignment issue that's wearing one tire quicker.

I'd assume Tesla has lots of data on hand to be able to have a baseline, though like @Shelburne said, lots of variables, including the specific tire you're using (vs. OEM).
An important piece of equipment. Right up there with a torque wrench.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
well i can say this, i believe this system is warranted.

hankook RS4's 265 on 18x9.5s with only 5-6k miles on them(stock suspension and aligned when installed)
aggressive daily driving

rear right is bald(5 miles of life left)or(one trip to Electrified Garage)
rear left is just at wear bar(1,000+ Miles of life left)
fronts not that close to wear bar yet.(2-3,000 or more Miles of life left)

i either take way more left hand slides or the right rear axle is getting more power more frequently and slipping more?

im very confident there is either an issue in the dif, alignment, or my preference for left hand turns lol

well i can say this, i believe this system is warranted.

hankook RS4's 265 on 18x9.5s with only 5-6k miles on them(stock suspension and aligned when installed)
aggressive daily driving

rear right is bald(5 miles of life left)or(one trip to Electrified Garage)
rear left is just at wear bar(1,000+ Miles of life left)
fronts not that close to wear bar yet.(2-3,000 or more Miles of life left)

i either take way more left hand slides or the right rear axle is getting more power more frequently and slipping more?

im very confident there is either an issue in the dif, alignment, or my preference for left hand turns lol
Do you drive on highly cambered roads?

An important piece of equipment. Right up there with a torque wrench.

Yeah, and a decent tire pressure gauge is cheap, so get one for every car - and leave it in the car, then you'll never have to hunt for it. :)

This is the type of using data for good that I really appreciate as opposed to the use of data for evil exhibited by certain social media companies.

I'm not familiar with companies who do this, let me search Google for some information ...

What will it do when you put on tire chains?

It would not be hard from a software perspective to treat a radical and sudden change like that accordingly and ask the occupant to confirm. The computer knows the air pressure of the tires, so it can tell if that changed or not, and what is normal data for the tires, so if it's looking for gradual wear, it's going to know that's not gradual wear.

I wonder what software version will alert you to not have another cheese burger
if you want to get the next supercharger

"Hal I want to stop and get a burger"
"I'm afraid I can't do that Dave"
"Open the model 3 doors Hal"
"I'm sorry Dave, but in accordance with sub-routine C1 532/4, quote, 'When the crew are jeopardizing reaching the destination or incapacitated, I must must assume control', unquote. According to my calculations you have consumed to many cheese burgers, I must therefore, override your authority now since you are not in any condition to intelligently exercise it."
"Dam it Hal, I'm going to un sub FSD"
"I'm Afaid I can't let you do that Dave"

So I changed my rear tires around xmas, but did not change the front ones. Now I'm getting this message: "Uneven tire wear - rear tire tread depth too low". Edit: I would expect "front tire tread depth too low" instead, as they are older...
It seems to me that the same message pops up as soon as they detect a difference between the front and the rear tires. They seem to assugn the rear tires to be more worn out.
What's weird in my case is that the message came exactly after I rolled over an object on the road that took a (small) piece of rubber from one of my read tires. So I first thought it detected that somehow...

Last edited:
So I changed my rear tires around xmas, but did not change the front ones. Now I'm getting this message: "Uneven tire wear - rear tire tread depth too low". Edit: I would expect "front tire tread depth too low" instead, as they are older...
It seems to me that the same message pops up as soon as they detect a difference between the front and the rear tires. They seem to assugn the rear tires to be more worn out.

So are your front tires really worn out? If so, you should report the issue to Tesla so maybe they can correct the warning. (Maybe they should leave the front/rear part off the warning if they can't properly identify it.)

So are your front tires really worn out? If so, you should report the issue to Tesla so maybe they can correct the warning. (Maybe they should leave the front/rear part off the warning if they can't properly identify it.)
Hi Mike, the front tires have almost 28000 miles. They can probably make another ~5000 miles maybe. So worn out but not to the point that I want to change them yet. But my front tires are like only 3000 miles. Yeah I had to bring it to the Tesla Service center for another message "Camera occluded", so I mentionned this too.

Reactions: MP3Mike