Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 88xxx MY, purchased 12/26, Windshield wiper rubbing on hood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mobile Service has not gotten back to me yet. I am still debating on whether to do it myself or not. I’d hate to see them mess up the hood or bend some thing that is unnecessary.
For my fix, Tesla told me they first tried to adjust wiper motor position. That didn't clear the hood so they replaced the arm. It sounded they don't have an instruction to bend some parts here.

For my fix, Tesla told me they first tried to adjust wiper motor position. That didn't clear the hood so they replaced the arm. It sounded they don't have an instruction to bend some parts here.
I took a good look at the arm that attaches to the wiper motor spindle ( that 8 inch section. ) It is not steel, I'm presuming that it may be pot metal. It has a very strong cross hatch pattern molded into the underside of the arm. You don't bend pot metal - if you attempt to alter its shape you would certainly break and/or crack it. So trying to bend it is out of the question. I don't want to attempt to bend the hood into a more concave shape either - its made of aluminum - so that's out of the question too. I just don't know if I really want Mobile Service to monkey with it.

I also have this problem. However I noticed it while I was installing my auto frunk. I opened a service request with tesla and they responded with an estimate invoice stating the wiper arm needs to be replaced. Any suggestions whether I should remove the auto frunk so they don't blame it on that?

I also have this problem. However I noticed it while I was installing my auto frunk. I opened a service request with tesla and they responded with an estimate invoice stating the wiper arm needs to be replaced. Any suggestions whether I should remove the auto frunk so they don't blame it on that?
Mobile service came and took the whole wiper assembly / motor off and bent the mounting bracket down about a half inch. Not the prettiest of a fix, but it did the trick. There is no updated wiper arm. I would not worry about the auto frunk assembly.

Reactions: chnry
Had the same problem with my 2021 MY, only notice this when I had the frunk open to look at possibly doing the HEPA update. the SC replaced the wiper arm and touched up the paint on the hood.
You probably want to still keep an eye on it after this. I had gone through the wiper arm replacement for the same reason, and I found that I still had white dust on the wiper arm knuckle after rain. What's interesting is the wiper arm and the hood do not touch while parked. I can slide a thick piece of paper in between them. It must be that the air pressure or vibration while driving deforms the hood to the extent to touch the wiper arm. I think it would be hard for the SC to factor in this deformation in motion. So I just cut a finger nail sized piece of PPF and stick it under the hood where the wiper knuckle may touch.

You probably want to still keep an eye on it after this. I had gone through the wiper arm replacement for the same reason, and I found that I still had white dust on the wiper arm knuckle after rain. What's interesting is the wiper arm and the hood do not touch while parked. I can slide a thick piece of paper in between them. It must be that the air pressure or vibration while driving deforms the hood to the extent to touch the wiper arm. I think it would be hard for the SC to factor in this deformation in motion. So I just cut a finger nail sized piece of PPF and stick it under the hood where the wiper knuckle may touch.
Great idea, I have some to try

I know this is an old thread but I noticed how close the passenger wiper arm is to the underside of the hood on my new 2023 Model Y Performance. I don't get how this can be normal.
IMG_3967.jpeg

* See your other post about this. Unless it's actually rubbing, it's a non issue.

But as close as it is and considering that the wiper arm has some flex, it could easily rub and I don't need paint scratched off on a brand new car. So yes, it's a concern.

Actually, if they are so close, there is a high chance the hood will touch the arm when the car is in motion. In my own experience, when the car is parked, I could slide a thick piece of paper freely between the hood and the wiper arm. However, my hood and the wiper arm still shows signs of contact - there are scratches on the under side of the hood paint and white powders on the wiper arm. I think when you drive, the vibration and air resistance will push the hood against the wiper arm and make them rub when the wipers are in use.

Reactions: Resist
Exactly my fear. Tesla quality control still is a huge issue, Elon lied to us again.
Holy crap, 38 posts in this thread, from a dozen or fewer owners.

"...quality control still is a huge issue..."???????

Clearly this isn't a widespread problem. This thread has been up for 30 months.

I don't understand what Elon is lying about. How many Tesla Ys have been sold? How many have reported this issue here?

Hardly a "huge issue."

Holy crap, 38 posts in this thread, from a dozen or fewer owners.

"...quality control still is a huge issue..."???????

Clearly this isn't a widespread problem. This thread has been up for 30 months.

I don't understand what Elon is lying about. How many Tesla Ys have been sold? How many have reported this issue here?

Hardly a "huge issue."
Calm down buttercup. Just because your car doesn't have this issue doesn't mean it isn't an issue for others.