Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 AutoX Points season log. 2019 Performance on Mountain Pass Performance parts.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is good information - My theory is thinking I can reduce a little on power understeer in certain turns with 45/55 but I probably still need to clean up my driving a little to reduce under steer. How about regen settings? I have found more speed by reducing mine a little.
I've found I'm not a sensitive enough driver to detect a 5% change. I've tried 45/55 55/45 a bunch of times and I'm personally convinced it does nothing ;)

When I drive AutoX, It's either on power or full brakes, but that's just my style. I run 2500+ wh per mile in my runs (about 30 miles total range), so I can't imagine regen is doing much of anything, and thus I've never considered it. But it's interesting and I'll have to try it next time.

That is good information - My theory is thinking I can reduce a little on power understeer in certain turns with 45/55 but I probably still need to clean up my driving a little to reduce under steer. How about regen settings? I have found more speed by reducing mine a little.

I have grown to like regen at 100%. Once you learn that lifting off doesn't give you a moment of coasting like it did in the corvette. I like being able to slightly come off the gas to bleed some speed heading into slaloms etc.

I have grown to like regen at 100%. Once you learn that lifting off doesn't give you a moment of coasting like it did in the corvette. I like being able to slightly come off the gas to bleed some speed heading into slaloms etc.
One thing I noticed at 100% is that it felt like it caused the car to have less stability for me when doing quick transitions. I like that it acts a bit like trail braking but there are some places (higher speed off power transitions) where it felt inconsistent to me (would get a little loose)

One thing I noticed at 100% is that it felt like it caused the car to have less stability for me when doing quick transitions. I like that it acts a bit like trail braking but there are some places (higher speed off power transitions) where it felt inconsistent to me (would get a little loose)

Its weird at first but I've left it 100% and have tried getting used to it. I've come to like it when you learn to find that sweet spot for coasting because you can easily scrub a little more speed if needed or add a little more power (I suck at slaloms so it is incredibly useful there).

First time recording data this weekend for me so I need to pick a software and learn how to interpret the data and that could really give insight on how well you are utilizing 100% regen.

• Love
Reactions: SK360
I am still waiting for delivery of my M3 LR AWD. I used to do a lot of road racing and autocross. It has been awhile but reading this thread has made me think about getting back into it. Any issues with AutoXing a M3 that I need to consider?

Another FTD!! What a day to close out the Spring Season

9B57B4C3-24EE-488B-83AA-025ADD4C9F0E.jpeg

Was chasing Jay Gyger for 0.018 most of the day as he ran a 28.184 and I ran a 28.202 my second run. Run 3, 4 and 5 were pretty crappy as I was overdriving and it was getting HOT. Then Eric Coffman jumped ahead of Jay with a 28.162. Top 3 were separated by 0.040 for a while.

Then I managed to lay down this 27.976.

Eric managed to get down to a 28.071 after that

Great day battling with some great drivers and good friends. Couldn’t ask for anything more (except more clouds, damn it was hot.)

Will be nice to take the summer off, 6 events in the spring with only 1 week off inbetween was a marathon!

My buddy brought out his McLaren 570S, was certainly a different sight! On Pilot Sport 4S he wasn’t terribly fast but made good noises. He has a YouTube channel and did some ride alongs with me and I rode with him on a run, will post the video when it goes live.

01480E2C-B270-4439-A913-B6D541CD641B.jpeg

AF8E0700-7108-44C8-93CB-9EEED86D3B90.jpeg

Reactions: Clivew
I am still waiting for delivery of my M3 LR AWD. I used to do a lot of road racing and autocross. It has been awhile but reading this thread has made me think about getting back into it. Any issues with AutoXing a M3 that I need to consider?
LR AWD you will have to contend with not having Track Mode. There are some ways to work around it like faulting some stuff or using the @MountainPass Party Box. Otherwise pretty straight forward.

Another FTD!! What a day to close out the Spring Season

View attachment 665460

Was chasing Jay Gyger for 0.018 most of the day as he ran a 28.184 and I ran a 28.202 my second run. Run 3, 4 and 5 were pretty crappy as I was overdriving and it was getting HOT. Then Eric Coffman jumped ahead of Jay with a 28.162. Top 3 were separated by 0.040 for a while.

Then I managed to lay down this 27.976.

Eric managed to get down to a 28.071 after that

Great day battling with some great drivers and good friends. Couldn’t ask for anything more (except more clouds, damn it was hot.)

Will be nice to take the summer off, 6 events in the spring with only 1 week off inbetween was a marathon!

My buddy brought out his McLaren 570S, was certainly a different sight! On Pilot Sport 4S he wasn’t terribly fast but made good noises. He has a YouTube channel and did some ride alongs with me and I rode with him on a run, will post the video when it goes live.

View attachment 665462
View attachment 665461
So if you had to guesstimate, how much quicker is your car on course with your coilovers/camber (more specifically, the camber adjustment). I'm leaning towards getting camber adjustments and moving to EVX after Champ Tour in a couple of weeks but that will make me a 100% PAX competitor in my region as there are no other EV's (which I'm okay with as long as I'm fighting for FTDI ha)

Reactions: superflyrolla
So if you had to guesstimate, how much quicker is your car on course with your coilovers/camber (more specifically, the camber adjustment). I'm leaning towards getting camber adjustments and moving to EVX after Champ Tour in a couple of weeks but that will make me a 100% PAX competitor in my region as there are no other EV's (which I'm okay with as long as I'm fighting for FTDI ha)
I’m not sure but I lost to Eric at 8/9 events last year. He hasn’t raw timed me once yet this season. So... a lot

Reactions: gearchruncher
Your AX videos are pretty impressive. From my previous racing experience I always remembered that videos looked slower then it actually felt. When I watch your videos it looks FAST! I can't imagine what it is like in person. Maybe it has just been awhile since I have raced so things look faster then I remember lol.

• Funny
I'm with @SK360 here- before camber/coilovers, I was >1 second behind FTD on a 60 second course. I'm now FTD by 0.5 sec or more (In the dry. In the wet the M3 is unbeatable)

Any issues with AutoXing a M3 that I need to consider?
A stock M3 with no front camber can destroy a front set of MPS4's in an afternoon if you drive it hard. Different tires or some camber are needed or it can get expensive fast. At the same time, you don't have to do this your first time out- I got about 4 AutoX events until I started getting really fast in the car with no unusual wear, then boom, cords in about 3 runs.

Charging at the TShirt Shack was awesome. There is an 80amp Tesla charger, Chargepoint L2 charger and a 14-50 outlet all on that corner.

Back to AutoX content next week.

View attachment 660837
Stopped by that place and chatted with one of the people there. Allegedly, they are shooting to have a Supercharger there real soon.
Between that and the Pigeon Forge upcoming one, it should make the Smokies much more enjoyable in a Tesla.

• Love
Fall season started up 9/12, just now getting a chance to post about it since we left on vacation immediately after. Didn't feel like pulling telemetry for this video either.

Course design was terrible, we are a very participation first club and give points towards year end points for chairing events. It's a good thing and a bad thing as some courses are winners and some are downright painful. This course had 2 pin turns where most people had to go back down to first gear and not a lot of other redeeming qualities, you win some you lose some and thems are the breaks with our system.

Ended up 3/74 RAW & PAX even with my terrible driving. My old nemesis from last year the 2019 PDK GT3 was back on fresh RT660's and with his codriver took the top 2 spots.

The march continues. 7 events down, 4 more to go. Driver of the year is still very much in reach.

Also I am for sure going for the @MountainPass front lower control arm bushings in the off season as I am getting clunking again under hard braking, I feel like I tighten these things every 4-5 events :|

DSC_0223.JPG

DSC_0227.JPG

DSC_0287.JPG

DSC_0281.JPG

nhscc.png

Last edited:
Event #8 in the books.

Ended up 4/55 raw, 2/55 pax and 1/3 in class. Got bumped to XS-A due to no other EV's showing up this week (They're all trying to get good scores for FSD beta lol). Course always ends up interesting when people try to shove a 50 second course into our very small lot.

3 events left.

nhscc2.png

Man, Ive seen a bunch of your vids over the last year and the courses you run just look miserable to drive. Dry pin turns sub 20mph are brutal. And not something you'd see in national level autocross.
So, I have to say having a another local club right up the road where all they care about is national events to the point that they scare off new drivers because that’s all they talk/care about, I’m about tired of hearing about national events lol. And now that 3 or 4 of them brought home jackets this year it’s even worse 😑

And having a small lot makes life hard, we are also a heavy participation based club and have 2 volunteers every week designing and setting up the course (in exchange for year end points) so you win some you lose some. The one 2 weeks ago with the 2 pin turns caused a massive fight at the last membership meeting to the point we are looking into adding some oversight to courses…. But not to the point of misery where we’re begging for help like I’ve seen other clubs. Step one is to eliminate pin turns 😂

• Informative
Reactions: gearchruncher
So, is there actually a fast way around a pin in a heavy, AWD, no parking brake car?

Best I have come up with is wide in, let the car slow down in the turn and tighten, and basically use the pin as the inner exit gate cone, and be aligned with the exit direction right as you spiral down into the pin.

If you go in near the pin you just end up wide on the exit which in most course setups adds time/distance.

Anyone else found something better?

So, is there actually a fast way around a pin in a heavy, AWD, no parking brake car?

Best I have come up with is wide in, let the car slow down in the turn and tighten, and basically use the pin as the inner exit gate cone, and be aligned with the exit direction right as you spiral down into the pin.

If you go in near the pin you just end up wide on the exit which in most course setups adds time/distance.

Anyone else found something better?
2 weeks ago I found being wide and cutting over and backsiding the pins to be quicker. I also don’t get caught up in SoloStorm so I have no data to back that up except that run was quicker when I did that. Wasn’t a lot of other spots to gain a bunch of time on that course except the pins