Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Center Console Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up a 2021 M3P on 2/27 and I don't know if this has been said or not but there are no longer any USB's in the front console.
20210228_201555.jpg

Be very careful, the authorization unit that reads the key cards is within the console. A replacement costs a fortune because it contains that unit, and if you switch without having a tech reprogram it you'll be stranded. Daerik has a video on Youtube about such a replacement. Listen to that video carefully first.

Yes it has been done. Someone posted retrofit instructions/costs on the forum last week. Use the search function.

Only found a thread where a guy said he paid ~$900 and "swapped the card reader".

If anyone has instructions, photos or experiences swapping the console, please post them here.

- What happens to USB ports?
- Is card reader physically swappable or must be reprogrammed?

cheers

Only found a thread where a guy said he paid ~$900 and "swapped the card reader".

If anyone has instructions, photos or experiences swapping the console, please post them here.

- What happens to USB ports?
- Is card reader physically swappable or must be reprogrammed?

cheers
That’s the one. He swapped in the new console and used the card reader from the old one.

I have the new center console in my 2021 car, which I've had for a week. The storage compartments are SO deep! Still waiting on the console trays that I ordered in early June. After reaching out to the Tesla shop, I learned that there was an error, and they'll be re-shipping them in the next week or so.

I have trouble reaching for items at the bottom of the console while I'm driving!

Hi, has anybody tried the center console 2.0 retrofit with a 2018 Model 3?
I jumped down this rabbit hole a few months ago and no dice. The 2018 vehicles have a different connector on the back of the center console. So you can't just swap the security module and plug in the new console. A option I was thinking about using was maybe swapping the entire harness of the old console into the new console or replacing the VC left harness but that would be way more work that its worth.