Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 EV Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the current assessment of the likelihood of Tesla vehicles again qualifying for the the $7,500 US federal government tax credit or possibly $10,000 if including made in America provision? What purchase/pickup date would one have to have to qualify for the credit? I've seen various thoughts on whether that would be retroactive to late May, the date the legislation passes, or not until January 1, 2022. Assuming it could go into effect in July/August (passing this summer) why would anyone be purchasing a car now unless literally have nothing else to drive, his or her tax liability won't require the credit, certain it will take months to get the car with the increased demand the credit will drive, and/or Tesla will generally raise the price to offset much/all of the credit? I am currently in the 8 - 12 week window (placed M3 order at end of May) and want the car now but can't imagine my frustration if I had waited a couple of weeks/month and would have had a massive tax benefit.

If I had to guess, it would be that Tesla is eligible for the $7500 credit when/if the bill passes, and then the extra $2500 will only be applicable for vehicles sold after January 1, 2022. But who knows. I'm extremely curious to know if the new EV credit will be in this bipartisan bill, the Democrat only bill headed for reconciliation, or not at all.

Reactions: sb415
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Senator Deb Fischer (R-NE) made the approved amendment. She said Democrats complained EV tax credit is for the rich. Guess she stuck it to them and make most blue states buyers and EVs ineligible.

And Democrats went along.
I think they're so linked to the UAW they'll do anything that hurts Tesla. I can't imagine this will stay like this, but who knows? If you can hold an EV summit and not invite Tesla I guess you can do anything.

It's an incredibly bad provision; it'll drive folks away from true EVs and into plug-in hybrids.

• Informative
Reactions: nwdiver and vickh
Upvote 0
Bolts and plug-in hybrids.
I think they're so linked to the UAW they'll do anything that hurts Tesla. I can't imagine this will stay like this, but who knows? If you can hold an EV summit and not invite Tesla I guess you can do anything.

It's an incredibly bad provision; it'll drive folks away from true EVs and into plug-in hybrids.

My wife still has range anxiety on long trips so PHEV (like Pacifica) here we come!

Upvote 0
you can't even live (alone) in the bay area for $100k. is this a fixed number or does it account for COL based on geo?

seriously - you need room mates and a long commute if you make that LITTLE in the bay area. you have nothing saved for the future or emergencies. most goes to rent and food and essentials. you are just about in the middle class, not even upper middle, at that pay range.

do the politicians even have any clue what it costs to live? what milk costs? what rent/housing costs?

if they kill this incentive, the whole EV industry suffers. what a tragedy.

Upvote 0
While my delivery date keeps fluctuating, it's now at 9/9 - 9/20. I was kinda hoping it would get pushed to later in the year to let the bill work itself out a bit more. It will drive me nuts if the credit goes through just after I take delivery and I miss out. Now that congress is considering this new cap it's less likely most Tesla buyers will qualify. My guess is that some kind cap goes into the bill but it may not be the same as voted in the other day. There is still a lot debate to be had over the next few months.

Has anyone delayed delivery due to this?
Anyone with experience know how Tesla is handling requests to put delivery on hold due to this?

Upvote 0
you can't even live (alone) in the bay area for $100k. is this a fixed number or does it account for COL based on geo?

seriously - you need room mates and a long commute if you make that LITTLE in the bay area. you have nothing saved for the future or emergencies. most goes to rent and food and essentials. you are just about in the middle class, not even upper middle, at that pay range.

do the politicians even have any clue what it costs to live? what milk costs? what rent/housing costs?

if they kill this incentive, the whole EV industry suffers. what a tragedy.

unfortunately Fed limits are typically national. $100k pp goes a long way here in AZ.

Reactions: h2ofun
Upvote 0
Most of it is kabuki till Biden signs it. But looks like they're intentionally keeping TSLA out b/c no UAW.

I wonder if Elon should have a token UAW shop somewhere
Actually the legislation that seems most likely to get added doesn't keep Tesla out. It's a return of the $7500 credit for all vendors. Then a bonus $2500 for vehicles assembled in the US and another bonus $2500 for vehicles assembled in a union plant.

Via: Washington Post - https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2021/08/11/electric-vehicle-incentives-infrastructure/

President Biden hinted last week at the potential direction of Senate action at a White House appearance with executives of Ford, General Motors and Stellantis, the global carmaker that includes Chrysler.

He pointed to a bill backed by Stabenow and Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), that advanced out of the Senate Finance Committee in May. Biden urged government, labor and industry officials to reclaim leadership in the electric-vehicle race with China.
“That means purchasing incentives for consumers to buy clean vehicles, union-made right here in America,” Biden said, noting that the bill backed by Stabenow and Wyden “provides $7,500 basic credit, $2,500 credit for vehicles made in America and an additional $2,500 credit for union-made vehicles.”

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: vickh and h2ofun
Upvote 0