Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 EV Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the current assessment of the likelihood of Tesla vehicles again qualifying for the the $7,500 US federal government tax credit or possibly $10,000 if including made in America provision? What purchase/pickup date would one have to have to qualify for the credit? I've seen various thoughts on whether that would be retroactive to late May, the date the legislation passes, or not until January 1, 2022. Assuming it could go into effect in July/August (passing this summer) why would anyone be purchasing a car now unless literally have nothing else to drive, his or her tax liability won't require the credit, certain it will take months to get the car with the increased demand the credit will drive, and/or Tesla will generally raise the price to offset much/all of the credit? I am currently in the 8 - 12 week window (placed M3 order at end of May) and want the car now but can't imagine my frustration if I had waited a couple of weeks/month and would have had a massive tax benefit.

... Mr. Manchin has suggested that he might back various climate provisions in the legislation, leading some Democrats to say the party should regroup around a climate bill...
...Mr. Biden endorsed the strategy during a news conference Wednesday, saying that he was “confident we can get pieces, big chunks” of the bill passed...
...Mr. Markey said. “We should take what Joe Manchin said, take the climate and clean-energy provisions in the package that have been largely worked through and financed, and take any other provisions in any other part of Build Back Better that have the votes, and put them together as a package.”...
..Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said, “Some of it I might be able to support,” while Lisa Murkowski of Alaska said, “I think anything is possible as long as you have an attitude of good will and good faith negotiating going here.”...

‘Build Back Better’ Hit a Wall, but Climate Action Could Move Forward

Reactions: bhzmark and tm1v2
Upvote 0
Maybe a new version can avoid prioritizing SUVs and trucks over smaller cars.

(I would like all BEV to qualify, SUVs and trucks included. But the lower qualifying price cap for smaller vehicles was completely backwards for incentivizing environmentally conscious choices. Frankly I'd rather there be no price cap at all, but if there must be one, don't push people towards larger vehicles than they might otherwise choose.)

Upvote 0
An electric car is a lifestyle change. It’s far different than buying a color TV or an iPad. There are still a mountain of issues that EVs have to overcome before they have a prayer of becoming truly mainstream. This will be a slow burn.
The ONLY way I would get and EV, is if someone gave it to me for free!!!!!! My next purchase will be my second Honda Minivan ICE!!! And this is even when I have 100% free charging. NO thanks for a car lifestyle change! EV's are all politics, NOT a market need!!

Upvote 0
The ONLY way I would get and EV, is if someone gave it to me for free!!!!!! My next purchase will be my second Honda Minivan ICE!!! And this is even when I have 100% free charging. NO thanks for a car lifestyle change! EV's are all politics, NOT a market need!!

Personally I can give two shits about the environment enviromental/political issues (and I still think used oil makes great weed control) ... My reason for getting an EV ( still waiting) is to go completely off grid. Seeing what happens when there is a pipeline issue or a hurricane in the gulf or some idiot does something stupid over seas I want to make sure I have a working car. You can only store so much gas on your property and cycle through it. When the *sugar* hits the fan, fuel is the first to go. If you have an EV and a means to charge it it gives you some peace of mind. I have a furrly working garage with lift and a 64 tbird in my which I do keep up ( also great in case of an EMP :)) ) But at 12 MPG it is driven onl once in a while.

Upvote 0
... Mr. Manchin has suggested that he might back various climate provisions in the legislation, leading some Democrats to say the party should regroup around a climate bill...
...Mr. Biden endorsed the strategy during a news conference Wednesday, saying that he was “confident we can get pieces, big chunks” of the bill passed...
...Mr. Markey said. “We should take what Joe Manchin said, take the climate and clean-energy provisions in the package that have been largely worked through and financed, and take any other provisions in any other part of Build Back Better that have the votes, and put them together as a package.”...
..Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said, “Some of it I might be able to support,” while Lisa Murkowski of Alaska said, “I think anything is possible as long as you have an attitude of good will and good faith negotiating going here.”...

‘Build Back Better’ Hit a Wall, but Climate Action Could Move Forward
Yeah, looks like there will be some movement hopefully.

Upvote 0