Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 EV Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the current assessment of the likelihood of Tesla vehicles again qualifying for the the $7,500 US federal government tax credit or possibly $10,000 if including made in America provision? What purchase/pickup date would one have to have to qualify for the credit? I've seen various thoughts on whether that would be retroactive to late May, the date the legislation passes, or not until January 1, 2022. Assuming it could go into effect in July/August (passing this summer) why would anyone be purchasing a car now unless literally have nothing else to drive, his or her tax liability won't require the credit, certain it will take months to get the car with the increased demand the credit will drive, and/or Tesla will generally raise the price to offset much/all of the credit? I am currently in the 8 - 12 week window (placed M3 order at end of May) and want the car now but can't imagine my frustration if I had waited a couple of weeks/month and would have had a massive tax benefit.

Idiot Republicans are just going to sit on their hands and grumble over this.
There is a lot of opposition to the Union clause of the EV credit, but because of the anti-patriotic refusal to negotiate with the Democrats simply damages the Republican party.

Look at the Infrastructure Bill passed a few days ago, even Republican who voted against the bill are crowing how much it will help their constituents.

There is no prefect bill, never was, never will be, but every one of them does help all Americans to some degrees.

Texas is Tesla country, and Cruz and Cornyn will kill themselves and hurt the state by not support the BBB bill. It will bring hundreds of billions of $$$ over decades to Texas.

• Disagree
Reactions: h2ofun
Upvote 0
Anyone here who delayed twice? My current hold is until 12/31 but in case the bill does not get resolved by then, can I potentially put another hold say until Feb 2022?
I have spoke to multiple Tesla reps and was told that up to three times they won't really ask any questions. After the 3rd assignment they then reach out to you to see what the deal is. So you should be perfectly fine based on that. Alternatively, you could ask the rep to put a temporary hold on your account to the 1st of the year and then lift the hold when you are ready.

Reactions: t.e.s.l.a_dude
Upvote 0
I understand people want it to be retroactive but there is no sign whatsoever that language is coming back. It was last in circulation months ago. People who keep bringing it up now are just giving people a false sense of hope.

^^^ This times a million.

Can we stop with the retroactive nonsense and misinformation? They are trying to trim costs already. The Senate version is outdated and should not be considered.

Upvote 0
I have spoke to multiple Tesla reps and was told that up to three times they won't really ask any questions. After the 3rd assignment they then reach out to you to see what the deal is. So you should be perfectly fine based on that. Alternatively, you could ask the rep to put a temporary hold on your account to the 1st of the year and then lift the hold when you are ready.
Thanks for the info. When I put the hold end of October, I told the Tesla online chat support person that I want to take delivery in 2022, that's why they automatically put the hold until December 31. I'll wait and see what happens in the Senate. If it looks it is going somewhere I will extend the hold, if not, I will just proceed with the delivery.

Upvote 0
too much wasteful spending added into this bill. EV credits should have been done by itself. I'm happy to lose out on $8k and let this die.

The tax credit is a positive and negative for Tesla owners. Positive: Lower upfront cost. Negative: Lower resale value (and depreciation returns due yearly downward pressure from tax credit)

Personally, I find the EV credit unnecessary spending along with much of the bill. I also found the last corporate tax cut completely unnecessary too (and no surprise it was used to buy back stock and not invest in jobs). It's best if governments just do nothing :)

Reactions: Krobbler
Upvote 0
The tax credit is a positive and negative for Tesla owners. Positive: Lower upfront cost. Negative: Lower resale value (and depreciation returns due yearly downward pressure from tax credit)

Personally, I find the EV credit unnecessary spending along with much of the bill. I also found the last corporate tax cut completely unnecessary too (and no surprise it was used to buy back stock and not invest in jobs). It's best if governments just do nothing :)
The EV tax credit will apply to used EV's as well though, so the market will adapt.

Upvote 0
The EV tax credit will apply to used EV's as well though, so the market will adapt.
Yeah, but it is fairly limited for used vehicles:

The provision creates a new refundable credit for the purchase of used battery and fuel-cell electric cars after date of enactment through 2031. Buyers can claim a base credit of $2,000 for the purchase of qualifying used EVs, with an additional $2,000 based on battery capacity. The credit is capped at the lesser of $4,000 or 50% of the sale price. To qualify for this credit, used EVs must generally meet the eligibility requirements in the existing Section 30D credit for new EVs, not exceed a sale price of $25,000, and be a model year that is at least two years earlier than the date of sale. Buyers with up to $75,000 ($150,000 for married couples filing jointly and $112,500 for head of household filers) in adjusted gross income can claim the full amount of the credit. The credit phases out by $200 for every $1,000 in AGI in excess of the limitation. Buyers must purchase the vehicle from a dealership for personal use and cannot claim the credit more than once every three years. The credit only applies to the first resale of a used EV and includes restrictions on sales between related parties. A “look-back rule” for the phaseout threshold allows taxpayers to use prior-year income for purposes of determining the phaseout of the credit. This rule keeps taxpayers eligible for the credit even when their income rises above the phaseout range in a single year

• $4000 max credit, limited to 50% of purchase price
  • Under $25,000 sale price
  • At least two model years old
  • AGI of buyer under $75k ($150k for married)

In other words almost no used Tesla will qualify for the tax credit.

Reactions: voxel
Upvote 0
Yeah, but it is fairly limited for used vehicles:

• $4000 max credit, limited to 50% of purchase price
  • Under $25,000 sale price
  • At least two model years old
  • AGI of buyer under $75k ($150k for married)

In other words almost no used Tesla will qualify for the tax credit.
Except maybe an oooooooooold Model S (like 2013 version). That has like 150k miles on it. Lol

Reactions: voxel and MP3Mike
Upvote 0
Revisions to BBB today:

1637360075180.png

Upvote 0
If this passes the Senate before Christmas and Biden signs it, will it apply retroactively to all 2021 or go into affect starting Jan 1st. That's what I'm most curious about
The BBB that the house passed says this:

EFFECTIVE DATES.— 12 (1) The amendments made by subsections (a), 13 (c), and (d) of this section shall apply to vehicles acquired after December 31, 2021.

Who knows that modifications the senate will make to it.

Upvote 0