Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 EV Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the current assessment of the likelihood of Tesla vehicles again qualifying for the the $7,500 US federal government tax credit or possibly $10,000 if including made in America provision? What purchase/pickup date would one have to have to qualify for the credit? I've seen various thoughts on whether that would be retroactive to late May, the date the legislation passes, or not until January 1, 2022. Assuming it could go into effect in July/August (passing this summer) why would anyone be purchasing a car now unless literally have nothing else to drive, his or her tax liability won't require the credit, certain it will take months to get the car with the increased demand the credit will drive, and/or Tesla will generally raise the price to offset much/all of the credit? I am currently in the 8 - 12 week window (placed M3 order at end of May) and want the car now but can't imagine my frustration if I had waited a couple of weeks/month and would have had a massive tax benefit.

Just doggone, gone and dunnit! Bought the Model Y LR a full year ago for $54,190. Drove it for l6,208 miles. Just sold it for $62,400
Ordered a 2022 Model Y Performance for Delivery in Feb with the $8000 tax credit.
Bought a one-owner 2014 Model S 85 from Boca for $32,669 to cover the time until I get my 2022 Model Y. I will sell it to my son when I am done, so he too can get out of $450 a month gas payments.
Looks like your confident about the 8k credit? I am in the same boat as you.

Reactions: Fairchild
Upvote 0
If (when) the bill passes, I'm pretty confident that tesla raises their prices on everything. The cars already have great demand, why wouldn't they take advantage of additional margin by just raising the prices? For model 3 - that means the SR will be the absolute cash cow. LR dual motor 3 will be right at the 55k limit. Model Y is different because the price cap for the credit is way higher - but that means they can just raise the price significantly on all Y's.

Reactions: Spuzzz
Upvote 0
If (when) the bill passes, I'm pretty confident that tesla raises their prices on everything. The cars already have great demand, why wouldn't they take advantage of additional margin by just raising the prices? For model 3 - that means the SR will be the absolute cash cow. LR dual motor 3 will be right at the 55k limit. Model Y is different because the price cap for the credit is way higher - but that means they can just raise the price significantly on all Y's.
I agree they will raise prices. And it isn’t evil. It’s economics. You price a product such that there’s a balance between supply and demand. There’s plenty of demand under current pricing structure. If something artificially alters that, guess what? Prices shift to find a new equilibrium. These subsidies don’t really increase demand like they want them to. Perhaps they should be spending money on other barriers that are slowing adoption?

Upvote 0
I can't imagine paying 60k for M3LR with FSD. Very overpriced in my opinion. It's hard enough to justify 70k for my current MYLR with FSD order. Really wanted the MX 6-seater with FSD but it was like 130k. I would rather get a BMW X5/X7 or a Benz GLE/GLS at a lower price and just drive an ICE.
Can’t believe you'd go back to ICE. But it seems like you place a value on money and I can appreciate that. You do get a lot more luxury out of Mercedes and BMW here but you need make it a fair comparison. First of all, take FSD off the table when comparing prices. There’s no such equivalent in BMW/Mercedes so you shouldn’t include that in your Tesla.

The Mercedes are gonna start you @80k but I can’t believe you’ll drive off in one under 90. It’ll be a luxurious ride albeit slow by comparison. The BMWs are closer in performance …to me only the X5 is a fair comparison to the Y. MSRP starts in low 60s. You’d get a luxury and sporty ride for sure. And if I’m honest it looks nicer. But those PROs are not near enough to send me back to ICE.

Upvote 0
They haven't adjusted their prices in the past based on tax credits. Another good reason to order now. And you are right, they have a tight ceiling.

Upvote 0
Can’t believe you'd go back to ICE. But it seems like you place a value on money and I can appreciate that. You do get a lot more luxury out of Mercedes and BMW here but you need make it a fair comparison. First of all, take FSD off the table when comparing prices. There’s no such equivalent in BMW/Mercedes so you shouldn’t include that in your Tesla.

The Mercedes are gonna start you @80k but I can’t believe you’ll drive off in one under 90. It’ll be a luxurious ride albeit slow by comparison. The BMWs are closer in performance …to me only the X5 is a fair comparison to the Y. MSRP starts in low 60s. You’d get a luxury and sporty ride for sure. And if I’m honest it looks nicer. But those PROs are not near enough to send me back to ICE.
I just smile since some say but the price of EV's make them basically free without having to pay for gas. I love my ICE cars

Upvote 0
They haven't adjusted their prices in the past based on tax credits. Another good reason to order now. And you are right, they have a tight ceiling.

Sure they have. The original LR rwd, dual motor, and performance 3 back in 2018 were all much higher priced. They adjusted prices at every step of the tax credit reducing.

When the tax credit comes back, they should absolutely raise the price of the car (and will).

Upvote 0

Go back? I’ve only owned ICEs in the past. This MY will be my first EV 🤣

Jokes aside, my mind was set on an MX 6-seater for a while then I realized it was absurdy overpriced and cancelled since I can build an X7 7-seater for 79-80K and am told by my dealership that they can have it built and delivered in 45-60 days for MSRP. Sames goes for X5s and they are cheaper than my current order for the MY with FSD. Mercedez are like 10K more for each tier and frankly I prefer them over BMWs but Mercedez are selling at above MSRP. Plus I really like how the X7s look.

I am just considering since 1) I ordered in Aug and the EDD keeps changing, 2) I currently do not have a garage so I’ll probably exclusively supercharge for at least a year and 3) maybe in 2-3 years, Teslas will get facelifts and have better range.

Many things to consider probably since I haven’t owned an EV yet.

Upvote 0
2) I currently do not have a garage so I’ll probably exclusively supercharge for at least a year
Oh, this is important. I love my ev more than any ice ever but I’m not positive I would feel this way without home or office charging. At least not for the admitted higher price point you pay for owning an ev. If there’s any way you can get home charging, even if outdoors It will greatly enhance your ownership experience. Depending on your mileage needs, even just having 110v charging can really reduce your supercharging needs. Say you drove 50 miles a day on average…you can get most of that back on a 110v setup.

Reactions: Wigan
Upvote 0
Oh, this is important. I love my ev more than any ice ever but I’m not positive I would feel this way without home or office charging. At least not for the admitted higher price point you pay for owning an ev. If there’s any way you can get home charging, even if outdoors It will greatly enhance your ownership experience. Depending on your mileage needs, even just having 110v charging can really reduce your supercharging needs. Say you drove 50 miles a day on average…you can get most of that back on a 110v setup.
Yea. Just sold a home in NYC and moved to GA so prob won’t buy another in a year or so. GA rent is very low compared to NYC. Like 1/4. Prices are too high to buy right now even in GA standards. I will have to supercharge since the apartment complex I am in right now does not have a charger and the closest supercharger is like 10 miles away. I am told by the apartment complex that I can request Tesla to install a charger and they will be okay with one installed on premise. Not sure what that process looks like. Plus I only drive on average less than 5 miles a day. To drop kid off at school. That’s about it since I am fully remote now 😂

Upvote 0
What is the current assessment of the likelihood of Tesla vehicles again qualifying for the the $7,500 US federal government tax credit or possibly $10,000 if including made in America provision? What purchase/pickup date would one have to have to qualify for the credit? I've seen various thoughts on whether that would be retroactive to late May, the date the legislation passes, or not until January 1, 2022. Assuming it could go into effect in July/August (passing this summer) why would anyone be purchasing a car now unless literally have nothing else to drive, his or her tax liability won't require the credit, certain it will take months to get the car with the increased demand the credit will drive, and/or Tesla will generally raise the price to offset much/all of the credit? I am currently in the 8 - 12 week window (placed M3 order at end of May) and want the car now but can't imagine my frustration if I had waited a couple of weeks/month and would have had a massive tax benefit.
If someone buys a new Tesla in 2022 the Tax credit will be applied in 2023 tax filings. Chances are pretty good it will be re instated by the Biden administration this year. 🙏

Upvote 0
And even if you're driving 100 miles a day--and who actually does that other than salesmen or Uber folks, people like that--all that means is once a week you need to hit a supercharger while you're shopping for groceries or having lunch somewhere. So essentially a non-issue most of the time.

But I do think it's a whole different thing if you literally cant charge at home or at work. If that's the case then you really do need to scout out your local supercharges and see to what extent they can fit into your normal 'life patterns'.

I'm going to be moving soon and in between for about three our four months I'll be living the 110v life. For ME, where I am and doing what I do, it'll be easily workable, but for some folks it won't be so easy.

Upvote 0
And even if you're driving 100 miles a day--and who actually does that other than salesmen or Uber folks, people like that--all that means is once a week you need to hit a supercharger while you're shopping for groceries or having lunch somewhere. So essentially a non-issue most of the time.

But I do think it's a whole different thing if you literally cant charge at home or at work. If that's the case then you really do need to scout out your local supercharges and see to what extent they can fit into your normal 'life patterns'.

I'm going to be moving soon and in between for about three our four months I'll be living the 110v life. For ME, where I am and doing what I do, it'll be easily workable, but for some folks it won't be so easy.

I dunno. I think we need to think a little more outside the box on this one. When I visited my Mom I tried to avoid charging at her house mostly as a kind of experiment. I'd plug in at the Mall every other day when I'd go for a walk to get some exercise. Worked pretty well. I was able to all the charging I needed and have more motivation to get some much needed exercise.

I've been thinking more and more that this could be a viable win-win. Americans need to move around more using their own legs and Apartment-dwellers need a place to charge. Why not put some L2s near walking paths? Plug-in and walk for an hour. Or L2s at the gym.

Upvote 0
I've gone through temporary periods with only Supercharging and workplace charging. Both free and it still sucked. Big waste of time and stress compared to waking up with the car charged each morning. Definitely plan on arranging some kind of charging at home.

Most Teslas are efficient enough that 110V charging can cover many people's daily driving, with just occasional supercharger use, BUT make sure you won't end up relying on $$$ peak time electricity rates just to get enough 110V charging time in.

A 240V circuit, preferably 50A minimum, should always be the end goal for home charging.

Reactions: bhzmark
Upvote 0
I agree with you, but at the bottom that's really an argument for no credit at all. The reality is demand IS sky high, much higher than our productive capacity. It makes no sense to pour gas on a raging fire--it's literally just a waste of gas.

As a Tesla investor, sure, I'd love a credit because it'll go straight into the price of the shares I own. As a Tesla buyer, sure, I'd love a credit because it would make the car I'm going to buy anyhow cheaper.. But as a citizen and taxpayer I don't see the need. Spurring demand in an industry where demand already can't be met, and for the most part due to structural issues that can't be easily fixed, has to be the biggest waste of money ever. Maybe there will be a time where a credit will make a difference, but this ain't it. We'd be much better off keeping our powder dry for a time when we MIGHT actually need it.

Upvote 0