Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 EV Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the current assessment of the likelihood of Tesla vehicles again qualifying for the the $7,500 US federal government tax credit or possibly $10,000 if including made in America provision? What purchase/pickup date would one have to have to qualify for the credit? I've seen various thoughts on whether that would be retroactive to late May, the date the legislation passes, or not until January 1, 2022. Assuming it could go into effect in July/August (passing this summer) why would anyone be purchasing a car now unless literally have nothing else to drive, his or her tax liability won't require the credit, certain it will take months to get the car with the increased demand the credit will drive, and/or Tesla will generally raise the price to offset much/all of the credit? I am currently in the 8 - 12 week window (placed M3 order at end of May) and want the car now but can't imagine my frustration if I had waited a couple of weeks/month and would have had a massive tax benefit.

I dunno. I think we need to think a little more outside the box on this one. When I visited my Mom I tried to avoid charging at her house mostly as a kind of experiment. I'd plug in at the Mall every other day when I'd go for a walk to get some exercise. Worked pretty well. I was able to all the charging I needed and have more motivation to get some much needed exercise.

I've been thinking more and more that this could be a viable win-win. Americans need to move around more using their own legs and Apartment-dwellers need a place to charge. Why not put some L2s near walking paths? Plug-in and walk for an hour. Or L2s at the gym.
To me that just falls in the part where I said people need to see how no home charging would work within your life patterns.

Upvote 0
@Wigan An expanded EV tax credit could help incentivize ICE car makers to shift more production to EVs. Tesla obviously doesn't need that incentive but it might help push older car makers to the EV future sooner.

I don't think EV sales/profit potential is a bottleneck anymore, all car sales volumes are bottlenecked on parts supplies at the moment, but the tax credit could make a useful difference in the medium term to encourage more and faster investment in EV manufacturing.

Upvote 0
I agree with you, but at the bottom that's really an argument for no credit at all. The reality is demand IS sky high, much higher than our productive capacity. It makes no sense to pour gas on a raging fire--it's literally just a waste of gas.

As a Tesla investor, sure, I'd love a credit because it'll go straight into the price of the shares I own. As a Tesla buyer, sure, I'd love a credit because it would make the car I'm going to buy anyhow cheaper.. But as a citizen and taxpayer I don't see the need. Spurring demand in an industry where demand already can't be met, and for the most part due to structural issues that can't be easily fixed, has to be the biggest waste of money ever. Maybe there will be a time where a credit will make a difference, but this ain't it. We'd be much better off keeping our powder dry for a time when we MIGHT actually need it.

this is govt. use or lose.. or why buy 1 when you can 2 for twice the money...

Upvote 0
Sure they have. The original LR rwd, dual motor, and performance 3 back in 2018 were all much higher priced. They adjusted prices at every step of the tax credit reducing.

When the tax credit comes back, they should absolutely raise the price of the car (and will).
The only thing that might hold it back, for the LR, is the $55k cap on the proposed tax credit. Tesla could play games with that though. Say e.g. sell a $55k car that has a software limited range of 100 miles. Sell a software unlock ota for $10k to get your full range.

Upvote 0
That's a pretty definitive statement - do you have some details you can share or am I free to live in blissful optimistic ignorance for now ;)

They need 50 votes to pass reoncilation, and anything which adds to the deficit is going to be weighed against its impact on inflation.
when breaking up the BBB the EV tax credit will be the last thing they try to push . After Manchins last comments on the credits there is no chance it happens.

I'd love some free money for my Y and CT but it is unnecessary.

Upvote 0
What was posted is Manchin Opposes Bonus EV Tax Credit for Union-Made Cars.
He was receptive to EV incentives in general from other comments (possible due to Toyota).

He was also opposed to the income range of the buyer and price range of the cars covered

What rebate?
I think that is another program you are talking about.

This was the rebate for installing home charging equipment . You would get back 30% of the Installation and equipment costs of installing a home charger

Upvote 0
@bobabree Sales/use tax would not have counted towards the purchase price limit. Not sure about specific fees, need to check the exact text for that, or if it's unclear then wait for the IRS to issue guidance after the bill passes.

The version from late last year didn't pass though and it's very much dead now. Maybe a new bill with EV tax credits will get crafted at some point. Anything could change in it from the last one.

Reactions: alexgr
Upvote 0
Does the EV bill include sales tax and other fees? I just ordered a Model Y and saw the limit for SUV’s is $69,000.

My car price is $65,000 but with taxes and other fees it is $70,000.

I added white interior, tow hitch, and 7 seater
Taxes and fees do not count as they are local. The destination fee counts though. Basically, the price on the sales contract is what counts. That said, there is no tax credit for Tesla and nobody knows if the credit will be reinstalled and what limits if any will be on the car price in the new law.

New tax credits may pass however (maybe by next year) because GM, Ford, and Chrysler will just succumb without Federal help and 60-80 of all new vehicles in the US will be Tesla in 5 years.

• Funny
Reactions: doomsday997
Upvote 0