Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 EV Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the current assessment of the likelihood of Tesla vehicles again qualifying for the the $7,500 US federal government tax credit or possibly $10,000 if including made in America provision? What purchase/pickup date would one have to have to qualify for the credit? I've seen various thoughts on whether that would be retroactive to late May, the date the legislation passes, or not until January 1, 2022. Assuming it could go into effect in July/August (passing this summer) why would anyone be purchasing a car now unless literally have nothing else to drive, his or her tax liability won't require the credit, certain it will take months to get the car with the increased demand the credit will drive, and/or Tesla will generally raise the price to offset much/all of the credit? I am currently in the 8 - 12 week window (placed M3 order at end of May) and want the car now but can't imagine my frustration if I had waited a couple of weeks/month and would have had a massive tax benefit.

I wonder if there is an accounting trick that Tesla could pull to delay invoicing the customers who have already ordered but not delivered until January 1st, 2022? Otherwise, there are going to be a LT of cancellations....$10K is a lot of money to lose out on.

You don't need an accounting trick or order cancellation. If your car is scheduled to be delivered this year, just call up Tesla and tell them to put your delivery on hold until Jan 1st. The order date doesn't matter, only the delivery date matters for the tax credit.

I have my delivery on hold. I'm not in a huge rush to get the car, so I'm fine waiting a few more months for a chance at the tax credit.

Upvote 0
You don't need an accounting trick or order cancellation. If your car is scheduled to be delivered this year, just call up Tesla and tell them to put your delivery on hold until Jan 1st. The order date doesn't matter, only the delivery date matters for the tax credit.

I have my delivery on hold. I'm not in a huge rush to get the car, so I'm fine waiting a few more months for a chance at the tax credit.
The bill would have to pass this year to go to effect Jan 1st right, since it wouldn't be retroactive?

Upvote 0
The last look we saw at the proposed legislation is that it wasn't retroactive. That doesn't mean they won't change that, but were I a betting man I'd guess that it won't be retroactive when its all said and done.

This claims that the 7500 could be lifted retroactively :O

Or is that fake news lol

Upvote 0

This claims that the 7500 could be lifted retroactively :O

Or is that fake news lol
That’s a previous version of the legislation. It’s not the current.

Upvote 0
This is the most recent info that I had seen.

Attachments

• 73537D03-74FB-4C4E-B480-E57E65B25CF2.jpeg
    73537D03-74FB-4C4E-B480-E57E65B25CF2.jpeg
    456.9 KB · Views: 174
Reactions: acatwith12
Upvote 0
This is now as of October 8th including both Senate and House versions. Is there a newer version?

Upvote 0
This is now as of October 8th including both Senate and House versions. Is there a newer version?

That’s the most recent I’ve seen.

Upvote 0
With the $55k for sedans limit it looks like the M3LR will be $40k (credit) and the Performance will be $58k (no credit). I wonder if there will be any price adjustments by Tesla to the Performance to make it qualify. Would be nice to get one for $45k. Or will people be willing to pay an $18k premium for the performance?

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
With the $55k for sedans limit it looks like the M3LR will be $40k (credit) and the Performance will be $58k (no credit). I wonder if there will be any price adjustments by Tesla to the Performance to make it qualify. Would be nice to get one for $45k. Or will people be willing to pay an $18k premium for the performance?
The limits seem to be fluid in the Senate and House versions, let's see which version or an alternate will pass. But as you said, if the House version passes, then the Performance will indeed have a big price delta compared to the LR

Upvote 0