Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 EV Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the current assessment of the likelihood of Tesla vehicles again qualifying for the the $7,500 US federal government tax credit or possibly $10,000 if including made in America provision? What purchase/pickup date would one have to have to qualify for the credit? I've seen various thoughts on whether that would be retroactive to late May, the date the legislation passes, or not until January 1, 2022. Assuming it could go into effect in July/August (passing this summer) why would anyone be purchasing a car now unless literally have nothing else to drive, his or her tax liability won't require the credit, certain it will take months to get the car with the increased demand the credit will drive, and/or Tesla will generally raise the price to offset much/all of the credit? I am currently in the 8 - 12 week window (placed M3 order at end of May) and want the car now but can't imagine my frustration if I had waited a couple of weeks/month and would have had a massive tax benefit.

Whelp I guess my watch has ended. I had placed order on hold about 2 weeks ago until December 31. That is what the website said but just got this email this morning.

Price has gone up by $4,150 since I ordered so will just be releasing the hold on Nov 15 and roll the dice.

View attachment 728497
I got the same message this morning and actually went to my local Tesla location 2 hours later. I was told by the SA that I could respond to the email by the 16th and indicate I still want the car. He said my order would not be cancelled and my hold would be honored. He also placed a note on my account to that degree.

That being said, I don't think I'm going to get the tax credit by waiting anyway - it sounds like the house bill (likely the one that passes) will exclude sedans over $55K, which my Performance 3 order does just that. I'm just waiting for the specifics to be 100% final on this. I would certainly hate to take delivery on December 1st and on December 5th they announce the price cap being all EVs under $80K like the original Senate bill proposed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got the same message this morning and actually went to my local Tesla location 2 hours later. I was told by the SA that I could respond to the email by the 16th and indicate I still want the car. He said my order would not be cancelled and my hold would be honored. He also placed a note on my account to that degree.

That being said, I don't think I'm going to get the tax credit by waiting anyway - it sounds like the house bill (likely the one that passes) will exclude sedans over $55K, which my Performance 3 order does just that. I'm just waiting for the specifics to be 100% final on this. I would certainly hate to take delivery on December 1st and on December 5th they announce the price cap being all EVs under $80K like the original Senate bill proposed.
Were you to switch your order to a MYP you would qualify and it would probably be about the same $. But I see you already have a MY.

Upvote 0
Were you to switch your order to a MYP you would qualify and it would probably be about the same $. But I see you already have a MY.
Yeah. I want the 3. It just drives differently and already have a Y. Clearly, I should have ordered the 3P last year and the Y this year. My luck. Didn’t think they would be so specific to screw me with this bill but here we are.

Reactions: BnGrm
Upvote 0

So essentially they just want to make sure you are still interested and the hold is in place. Just a confirmation but the wording is interesting.

Upvote 0

I expect to take delivery of my 3P and then Elon will announce the 3P has dropped to $54,900 to get the credit and get Tesla that extra $5k over the LR from everybody. So then I’ll have paid $58k and new buyers will be getting it for $45k… Doh!

Reactions: Glendale MY
Upvote 0
I put my hold before I got a VIN assigned and I have not received a cancellation email yet, but they might be going forward with these. I will update if I get any new info.
I chatted with Tesla today and the SA said I needed to wait for VIN and then they will have no issues putting my order on hold. It's crazy that there is no clear policy and that everyone's experience with customer service is so varied.

Upvote 0
I chatted with Tesla today and the SA said I needed to wait for VIN and then they will have no issues putting my order on hold. It's crazy that there is no clear policy and that everyone's experience with customer service is so varied.
Two different SAs have told me that if you hold it before a VIN then they don’t really care. Once there’s a VIN they can enforce the “take it or leave it policy” and keep your $250. At least that’s the story where I am.

Upvote 0
I expect to take delivery of my 3P and then Elon will announce the 3P has dropped to $54,900 to get the credit and get Tesla that extra $5k over the LR from everybody. So then I’ll have paid $58k and new buyers will be getting it for $45k… Doh!

If the bill passes which disqualifies a sedan over 55k...

It would be weird that only the performance version of the model 3 wouldn't qualify - that would really hurt sales of the performance model. Theoretically, a solution which I can really see happening is to sell the performance for 54990. THe car would have all the hardware of a performance car (suspension, brakes, wheels, etc), but its software limited to have the power output of a standard dual motor long range. You could then pay 3-4k after the sale to unlock the software and giv eyou the full performance capability of the car. Tesla has shown they already are capable of doing this with the acceleration boost. The more I think about it, the more I can really see this being the solution.

Upvote 0