Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Front Parking Camera Installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So one of my several annoyances with the MS (my first Tesla) is the lack of the bird's eye view parking image and a front parking camera (since the bumper will hit normal height parking barricades). I finally decided to rectify the latter issue with a stand alone parking camera. I bought one with a small screen (4.3 inches) so it would not be so intrusive in the cockpit. It has a standard cigarette lighter adapter for power with a switch, but I decided to source power from the OBDII plug and wired in a switch that I glued with expoxy to the base of the monitor. I also fabbed up my own bracket for the camera out of the 20ga steel sheet so that it would be relatively hidden beside my front license plate (required to have one where I live). I could have simply taped the camera to the front lip of the bumper with double sided tape, but I wanted the camera to get a view from slightly higher up so that it captures both the leading edge of the bumper and any parking barrier. The hardest part was running the cable from the camera through the firewall. I used the existing wiring harness grommet on the driver's side, but there is not much room around there. Anyway, it works and presents an acceptable (to me) level of clutter to the cockpit (again, this should have come from the factory like most other cars at this price point). Here's a few pics.
Front Close.jpg

Screen Off.jpg

Switch.jpg

Camera Screen On.jpg

Screen 3.jpg

So this is one of the best implementations for a retrofit solution that I have seen to date... I never liked those floating screens under the cupholers area or so.

Can u post a link to the products and items you used?

Does anyone else have any neat retrofit like that too or better options?

Reactions: Laddcruzer
Sorry, I don't check this forum much. I'm in Canada, so these are links to Amazon.ca, but you likely can find them in the US as well:

Camera: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071D5CN9D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Switch: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07Y1GDRQG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I created the mounting bracket for the lens myself out of some stainless steel sheet I had / ran the wiring / soldered in the switch, so those parts of the installation are not plug and play. I used the bracket for the screen that is part of the camera kit. The whole thing probably took me 10 hours to plan / install. While that's a fair bit of time, I use it so frequently and it has saved me from cleaning out my front bumper on parking barricades many times, so it has definitely been worth the effort.