Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Headlamps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model 3 for just a month and love it but a pigeon decided to end it's life by striking the front of my car. This totally destroyed the n/s headlamp lens.
Replacement cost a whopping £1225! The part alone is 941+Vat. Older model was c£350. looking at the broken lens the polycarb(?) is not that thick. Any recommendation for protective film?
Could be worse I suppose speaking to the local bodyshop Jaguar charge £5k + VAT for a pair.
Do the new Model 3 headlamps really cost that much more to make or are Tesla 'aligning' their prices with the competition???

I've had my Model 3 for just a month and love it but a pigeon decided to end it's life by striking the front of my car. This totally destroyed the n/s headlamp lens.
Replacement cost a whopping £1225! The part alone is 941+Vat. Older model was c£350. looking at the broken lens the polycarb(?) is not that thick. Any recommendation for protective film?
Could be worse I suppose speaking to the local bodyshop Jaguar charge £5k + VAT for a pair.
Do the new Model 3 headlamps really cost that much more to make or are Tesla 'aligning' their prices with the competition???

that is really really odd as Teslas generally have very, very reasonable priced parts to the point where many owners proactively replace minor damage on their cars with new OEM parts.

Afaik theres only a few things which will royally screw you:
- damage to the lower rocker panels/fender guards
- damage to the battery pack
- damage to the rear chrome/chromedeleted trim
- smashing your mcu screen

Last edited:
thats for both of them though isnt it? including installing which is quite a bit of work?

That's only for 1 headlight, and it is the part cost only.

... also sorry, it is $970, not $940 - last item on this list

PXL_20210406_001505630.jpeg

Matrix LED headlights are very expensive. Even regular LED headlights are very expensive. Go ask BMW, Audi, Acura, Lexus how much their led headlights are. I bet you they are over $1000+ each.