Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 heated steering wheel Discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has confirmed it will soon introduce a paid software upgrade that will enable the heated steering wheel for Standard Range Plus (SR+) Model 3 owners.

News of the upgrade was included in an email sent today to Service Centers in Europe, a copy of which was obtained by Drive Tesla. According to the email, Model 3’s built after the following dates include the heated steering wheel:

• Fremont – Model 3’s built after March 31, 2021
  • Giga Shanghai – Model 3’s built after January 1, 2021
The email stated SR+ Model 3 owners with the appropriate hardware will be able to turn on this feature with a paid software update that should appear “in the coming weeks.”

There was no price mentioned, but Tesla charges $400 CAD ($300 USD) to unlock the rear seat heaters, so we expect the price should be similar.

Like other production changes Tesla has implemented in the past, these dates should be taken as a guideline. The email noted there could still be a mix of cars after these dates not equipped with the heated steering wheel.

The heated steering wheel is already included as standard equipment in the Long Range (LR) and Performance Model 3, as noted by changes on Tesla’s website earlier this week. The email stated these cars require software version 2020.48 or later to access the feature on the display.

It should be noted this email applied only to the EMEA region (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), but we assume the same dates to apply for other markets, like North America.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Apparently recent SR+ builds will get an option to purchase a software unlock.

I'm hoping those of us with SR+ built before this date can purchase the hardware to upgrade.

Drive Tesla Canada

"Model 3’s built after the following dates include the heated steering wheel:"
  • Fremont – Model 3’s built after March 31, 2021
  • Giga Shanghai – Model 3’s built after January 1, 2021
Hmm I took delivery in February and my SR+ has the heated steering hardware. I wonder if I’ll be able to purchase the OTA upgrade even though it was purchased before those dates

I would say that the dates in the email are definitive ones for when they knew they ran out of the old hardware (MIC cars never had old hardware to install).

I would cautiously but optimistically say that if you have the extra blue connector at the bottom front of your wheel, you'll get offered the upgrade.

Fingers crossed :) And keep us posted please :)

Just noticed that the expanded featured list for premium interior no longer lists heated steering wheel. I know the update wasn't there yet, but now it's just not listed. Anyone know about this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210524-212145_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210524-212145_Chrome.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 376
I don't suppose anyone can confirm how much Tesla are quoting for the heated steering wheel part - 1490214-00-B ? Thanks in advance.

I have been struggling to source the Made in China variant - which I believe is being supplied on European cars now - 1490214-CN-B. The service guy I spoke to said it's probably the same wheel and the "CN" part just identifies the logistics source.

I can't source one of these wheels for love nor money it seems. Have had one on order since the start of March, and have chased it a couple of times since only to be told that there are "none in Europe" (still).

I've never owned or driven a car with heated steering. Even living in Toronto (Canada), I have never felt the need or missed having it due to usually wearing gloves during coldest of the weather. I am unsure if it makes a huge diff to the driving experience but then again perhaps it's a feature you only appreciate if you've used it.

So my wheel has turned up, and I've received this invoice from Tesla...

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 09.46.14.png

I'm curious to find out how much the wheel costs in the States, because £975 is quite a lot of money to spend on a steering wheel that I know isn't going to work (the heating part anyway) when attached to my 2020 M3P. I will need (hope) Tesla will eventually code it to my car.

I note that 2021 SR+s still don't have the upgrade option the app yet, as far as I know, even though that was promised weeks ago anyway. I know of a guy (via YouTube) that fitted the wheel to his Model Y and the mobile tech couldn't do anything about changing his configuration to enable it, said that the option simply wasn't available to him.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
So my wheel has turned up, and I've received this invoice from Tesla...

View attachment 671541

I'm curious to find out how much the wheel costs in the States, because £975 is quite a lot of money to spend on a steering wheel that I know isn't going to work (the heating part anyway) when attached to my 2020 M3P. I will need (hope) Tesla will eventually code it to my car.

I note that 2021 SR+s still don't have the upgrade option the app yet, as far as I know, even though that was promised weeks ago anyway. I know of a guy (via YouTube) that fitted the wheel to his Model Y and the mobile tech couldn't do anything about changing his configuration to enable it, said that the option simply wasn't available to him.

Thoughts?

then theres also a question of using third party steering wheels and if tesla enables a heated steering wheel unlock for those cars. or i.e. how they check if you buy a second hand oem heated steering wheel. all a bit confusing.

I've never owned or driven a car with heated steering. Even living in Toronto (Canada), I have never felt the need or missed having it due to usually wearing gloves during coldest of the weather. I am unsure if it makes a huge diff to the driving experience but then again perhaps it's a feature you only appreciate if you've used it.
I guess that is the thing. You don't miss it, if you haven't had it, but if you ever own a car with it, it is super difficult to live without it in the future. Applies of course to many other not that important features also...

I fitted my heated steering wheel to my 2020 M3P this morning.

I found removing the existing steering wheel to be very tricky. I would strongly recommend anyone who attempts this try and find a way to push in the clip that secures the airbag via the two holes either side of the wheel at the same time. I tried doing one side at a time, as shown on other videos, but it wouldn’t release the bottom.

The connectors are difficult to get out too. You have to pinch both ends of them, whilst pulling, and there’s not much space to get your fingers in.

I didn’t disconnect the 12v battery when removing the airbag. I did fully power down the car though (via the screen) and waited until it was asleep - i.e. silent, and no reaction to me getting in and out of the driver seat. For anyone doing this - you need to leave a door open, and do not open any other door once the car is asleep!

The car didn’t complain or even react to unplugging the airbag or the steering wheel controls. It just stayed asleep.

The good news, as we know already, the connectors are identical. The wheel is a straight swap, and the controls work as you’d expect.

The bad news, which was expected before installing it, the car doesn’t acknowledge that the wheel has heating capability, it’s as if the option isn’t there - like on 2021 SR+ cars. I am cautiously optimistic that I’ll be able to get it switched on wherever 2021 SR+ owners are able to buy it in the app, but we’ll see.

The wheel cost me £975, which is a hell of a lot of money for basically metal scroll wheels and no cut in the material like on the old wheel, but I was willing to take a gamble.

Attachments

• D136B19E-7F0C-46B3-B0B3-1598D994F9E8.jpeg
    D136B19E-7F0C-46B3-B0B3-1598D994F9E8.jpeg
    340.4 KB · Views: 137
  • C8CAA91D-09A5-46F6-90F1-1484AA011664.jpeg
    C8CAA91D-09A5-46F6-90F1-1484AA011664.jpeg
    456.9 KB · Views: 101
  • F09B7245-274B-4EB0-BD27-9EB54D78FAB7.jpeg
    F09B7245-274B-4EB0-BD27-9EB54D78FAB7.jpeg
    561.9 KB · Views: 117
  • C1A13D12-3CBF-4372-87DD-EAA29C2340AC.jpeg
    C1A13D12-3CBF-4372-87DD-EAA29C2340AC.jpeg