Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Holiday Firmware Release - Predictions and Impressions (after release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have Dashcam Viewer unavailable?

Just saw this same error the first time today 2 hours ago. I suspect it is a bug for videos that are too short.

I get this one occasionally too where closing / re-opening will generally fix. It's annoying though.

Yes. I just noticed a failure of my dashcam due to the fact that the two data/power USB ports are not working at all. (The other two power-only USB ports are fine.) I just started a thread here: USB Ports Stopped Working.

I am wondering if it is related to the holiday software update or if it is some kind of hardware failure. I've scheduled a mobile service visit for 1/19/22.

Yes. I just noticed a failure of my dashcam due to the fact that the two data/power USB ports are not working at all. (The other two power-only USB ports are fine.) I just started a thread here: USB Ports Stopped Working.

I am wondering if it is related to the holiday software update or if it is some kind of hardware failure. I've scheduled a mobile service visit for 1/19/22.
I’d bet it’s an update issue since it would be a huge coincidence if so many people suddenly had this issue at the same time. I should check my port to see if it’s still working. I was also considering letting the car re-initialize the SSD to see if that fixed it.

I’d bet it’s an update issue since it would be a huge coincidence if so many people suddenly had this issue at the same time. I should check my port to see if it’s still working. I was also considering letting the car re-initialize the SSD to see if that fixed it.

Yes. I didn't notice the problem because (a) I haven't been listening to my iPod in the car recently, (b) the Sentry Mode red indicator still came on, and (c) I have been way more focused on other stuff associated with the holiday software update (which I am generally fine with, btw). But not having video recording capability is bad. I want that. I just checked and the USB ports are still not working. I now find that there is only a very tiny bit of electricity going to them, but not enough to register on my AVHzYCT-2 USB voltage meter device. (The little LED on the accompanying resistance/load tester glows very, very dimly when plugged in to the USB port.)

Yes. I didn't notice the problem because (a) I haven't been listening to my iPod in the car recently, (b) the Sentry Mode red indicator still came on, and (c) I have been way more focused on other stuff associated with the holiday software update (which I am generally fine with, btw). But not having video recording capability is bad. I want that. I just checked and the USB ports are still not working. I now find that there is only a very tiny bit of electricity going to them, but not enough to register on my AVHzYCT-2 USB voltage meter device. (The little LED on the accompanying resistance/load tester glows very, very dimly when plugged in to the USB port.)
I did some troubleshooting today then set up a mobile service appointment. I made sure all the USB ports were working, tried to reformat the SSD through the car (said there was an “error while formatting” but all the old content was gone later), then brought the SSD to my computer where it was still formatted properly (though I formatted it again to make sure) and I saw the car had wiped all the old files.

Service had me reboot the car then pushed through the update I was already running (2021.44.30) to make sure I was up to date. Still no access to Dashcam. Pretty sure the service advisor is gone for the day so I’m not sure if they will do any further troubleshooting. All my issues started with the holiday update so maybe there’s a problem with that code that 2021.44.30 didn’t address?

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
I did some troubleshooting today then set up a mobile service appointment. I made sure all the USB ports were working, tried to reformat the SSD through the car (said there was an “error while formatting” but all the old content was gone later), then brought the SSD to my computer where it was still formatted properly (though I formatted it again to make sure) and I saw the car had wiped all the old files.

Service had me reboot the car then pushed through the update I was already running (2021.44.30) to make sure I was up to date. Still no access to Dashcam. Pretty sure the service advisor is gone for the day so I’m not sure if they will do any further troubleshooting. All my issues started with the holiday update so maybe there’s a problem with that code that 2021.44.30 didn’t address?
Following up: spoke with a Tesla Diagnostic Technician and he said there is a firmware bug preventing the car from formatting a usb with the required “TeslaCam” folder. So, if you run into this issue, take your usb/SSD to your computer, use disk utility to reformat to FAT32 then create a folder “TeslaCam” (case specific). That should fix the issue.