Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Holiday Firmware Release - Predictions and Impressions (after release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IIRC, the car claimed 25 minutes to upgrade from 2021.44.5 to 2021.44.6.

Does the holiday update really move the defroster buttons yet further away?

As someone who has studied a lot about UI design and human psychology (I have a degree in psychology and neuroscience), there are a significant number of design faux pas in the Tesla UI design. There is tons of research that documents how our visual acuity, attention, visual processing, and motor reflexes all work in tandem. There are clear ways that innate biological functions dictate how we take in information and process it in decision based operations like turning on wipers or looking for the artist of a song on a screen as we drive. It seems like Tesla is focused on how the interface looks more than how easy it is to operate. They really should have someone with experience in human centered computing who can help them with designing the UI with human psychology in mind. Much of the time we are interacting with the screen, we are hurtling through space at high velocity with moving objects all around us. The UI should be as simple and easy to use as it could be with the most pertinent information readily available in milliseconds. Not everything in Tesla's UI is like this.

Yes! Even a little usability testing with a range of drivers in a range of driving conditions would go a long ways towards demonstrating these design mistakes in practice. There's lots of UX research and experience in safety-critical UIs such as for pilots.

This is such a big blind spot for a company that's so concerned about safety.

I don't find the voice commands to be a successful workaround in practice. They're unreliable esp. with spotty networks and noisy rain, slow, not complete enough to turn on the fog lights or the headlights when you need them in a mist, and tend to wake up your copilot.

IIRC, the car claimed 25 minutes to upgrade from 2021.44.5 to 2021.44.6.

Does the holiday update really move the defroster buttons yet further away?

Yes! Even a little usability testing with a range of drivers in a range of driving conditions would go a long ways towards demonstrating these design mistakes in practice. There's lots of UX research and experience in safety-critical UIs such as for pilots.

This is such a big blind spot for a company that's so concerned about safety.

I don't find the voice commands to be a successful workaround in practice. They're unreliable esp. with spotty networks and noisy rain, slow, not complete enough to turn on the fog lights or the headlights when you need them in a mist, and tend to wake up your copilot.
Tesla of the last few years is a company that is loud-and-clear that they don't want any feedback or input on their products. Not sure why the change happened but it is depressing as hell...

Got it on my MY this morning but not on the M3. Can't wait to see the blind spot camera function when I go for a drive. Other than that, it's not that big of an update IMHO. It looks like they've tried to clean up the UI but at the expense of ease of operations. I really don't like they've moved the trip card to a menu item. I liked driving with it open in the AP part of screen so I could monitor efficiency while I drove. Now it is in a menu that blocks the navigation. Bad idea. But other than that, it seems ok. I might have a different opinion while on the road than sitting in my garage.

From Teslascope:
2021.44.25.2, the holiday update, is now rolling out to non-FSD vehicles in limited batches. 2021.44.25.5 is the same update but intended for current FSD Beta testers/vehicles and includes Full Self-Driving V10.8.
Boo, got the 44.25.2 but was hoping for fsd beta (on subscription for 20 ish days with safety Score of 99 and hundreds of miles). Going to let it lapse...

Reactions: 1835Texas