Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Holiday Firmware Release - Predictions and Impressions (after release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it this morning on M3P.

Sonic doesn’t appear for me (???)
The quick controls don’t seem to appear either (or j can’t figure out how to get to them)

I don’t love the new UI, but maybe just a question of getting used to it. Looks a bit busy to me.
I don't see the quick controls either on my M3P. Not sure if that was supposed to be feature or just a way to note that those controls are now in the various car setting screens

Reactions: Nolakai
We just got 2021.44.25.2 holiday update/new interface V.11.0 on both of our M3 LR's. Unless I use voice, I have to "think" all over again. Dang it. 🙂 Still discovering, modifying, and getting used to it. My wife has a very different opinion about it. I'm not sure about the seat heater changes. I know how my butt feels better than Tesla. Just saying. . . .

• Love
Reactions: jebinc
We just got 2021.44.25.2 holiday update on both of our M3 LR's. Unless I use voice, I have to "think" all over again. Dang it. 🙂 Still discovering, modifying, and getting used to it. My wife has a very different opinion about it. I'm not sure about the seat heater changes. I know how my butt feels better than Tesla. Just saying. . . .
Yeah, same feeling towards wiper wipe rate/speed....

Reactions: Mark57
Well, the holiday release has arrived. Thoughts, the morning after? What do you like the most and what do you like the least?
Here are my first impressions on my model 3. Last year's update made many things almost unreadable by reducing font size and using a grey on white color scheme. It seems that the new update has improved contrast of the speedometer, gear indicators, regeneration bar, battery level, etc by using a black on white color scheme that is easier to read. Even the map and the music selections seem to have better contrast or more vibrant colors because the whole screen just looks better and seems more colorful. I also like the blindspot camera that pops up whenever the turn signal is on. (You have to turn this setting on under autopilot, its not on by default after the upgrade.)

Now for the bad news. I don't know where to begin. First, the seat warmers can only be adjusted by going into the climate screen. They removed the icon at the bottom. So, now you have to touch the screen more times to change the seat warmer setting. Yes, the icons on the main screen are adjustable, but you can only put apps and games down there.

They have also removed the "cards" that would display tire pressure or the trip odometers. Those items are now under the control menus so it takes more touches of the screen to find them, and the cover the map so you can't have that up while driving. You used to be able to use voice command to pull up tire pressure, but that command doesn't work now. You can use voice command to pull up "controls", but not "service" which is where tire pressure is located.

The music player now has two sizes, the bar along the bottom, or whole screen covering the map. There used to be an in-between size where you could see a half map, with the music below having room to display other streaming channels. If you want to be able to change to different streaming channels, you have to use full screen.

Some indicators along the top of the map have been removed. You used to be able to see the status of dash cam, cellular connectivity, and bluetooth connection by these icons along the top. Now, those icons are buried in menus somewhere, so you cannot see at a glance if dash cam was on or if you had lost cellular connectivity, etc. Why they would remove those indicators is puzzling to me.

Many people complained last year that the map was made smaller so we could have more wasted white space on the left side of the display. I had hoped there would be a way to adjust the size of that area, but there isn't. It's the same size as last year.

Overall, I would say there is a visual improvement, but a step back in function. After a short drive, I can already tell that I am going to be touching the screen more while driving. That doesn't sound like a good design. Also, I thought there was supposed to be a "quick control" section extending up vertically from the car icon in the bottom left. I saw that in some previews, but my model 3 doesn't have that.

I haven't gotten an update in quite a while, I'm on 2021.32.31. I also haven't gotten the FSD Beta, my safety score has been at 100 for the last couple of weeks and it was at 99 for the month before that.
I think that holiday gift is the elimination of "Passenger Play" to promote safety during the holiday travels.

• Funny
Reactions: Transformer
Tesla has a blog post on the new update:

And a chart that shows which car gets each feature:

1640368298929.png