Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Holiday Firmware Release - Predictions and Impressions (after release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the holiday update overnight and applied it this morning. However, now the car will not auto connect to my phone (or the wife's phone) Bluetooth for media/phone (as a key works fine). We can manually hit CONNECT on the car's screen and it will connect. But, we cannot manually connect from the phone to the car. We've rebooted the car, rebooted the phones, forgot the device and rejoined it to the car, and it still will not auto-connect.

Any one else seeing this?

I don’t understand their methodology on rolling out software. Seems like they could just roll it out to every car at the same time. I can’t reconcile how a simple UI update would go out to some and not others…
You want to potentially brick the whole fleet (or even just one whole hardware configuration) at once from a bad update? Because that is how you do that. Try recovering from that PR disaster. Also imagine if it was one that they could not remotely fix. That would be catastrophic and would take weeks/months to fix. Highly unlikely, but absolutely non-zero.

(I get it that it doesn't rain or get cold often in California or Texas ...) But I'm concerned that there is no ability to put a window defrost button on screen any more. Could someone who already updated shed me a light how to turn on window defrost after this update?

The music player now has two sizes, the bar along the bottom, or whole screen covering the map. There used to be an in-between size where you could see a half map, with the music below having room to display other streaming channels. If you want to be able to change to different streaming channels, you have to use full screen.

Its definitely going to take some getting used to, what with certain things I used all the time moving around. On this particular point I quoted above, if you swipe up the music player, there are now only 2 sizes, but there is a button in the banner of the music player box which, if pushed, brings the music player window to that "in between" state you are talking about (that we had before).

TL ; DR --- that particular feature is still there, you just have to push a button to activate it instead of "half swipe" like we did before.

I am not a fan of where they put the wiper commands, but I used those with voice commands previously so that wont change. If you manually wipe by pushing the button on the stalk, the area where the wiper commands used to come up to change speed is still in the same place, so thats not that much of a change.

The biggest one so far for me is the lack of ease in getting to things like the trip meter, although the energy meter seems to be a default button on the toolbar now.

I also do not like where the seat heaters are. I will probably "never" use "automatic" for seat heaters. I use them for various purposes, not only when I am cold, but sometimes if my back is stiff I will turn them on, to help me loosen up a bit. I cant for the life of me figure out how the car is supposed to "know" if I want seat heating, and on what level. I almost never use level 3 as its too hot for me (or my wife), for example. Luckily the "auto" feature for seat heating seemed to default to OFF.

I will get used to it, and I dont "hate" it, but I am also in the camp that did not mind last years update at all, and did not understand all the complaints others had about it. This one, I understand the complaints, even though I will get used to it.

(I get it that it doesn't rain or get cold often in California or Texas ...) But I'm concerned that there is no ability to put a window defrost button on screen any more. Could someone who already updated shed me a light how to turn on window defrost after this update?
You have to open the climate controls now. Here is a good walk-through of the whole UI:

You want to potentially brick the whole fleet (or even just one whole hardware configuration) at once from a bad update? Because that is how you do that. Try recovering from that PR disaster. Also imagine if it was one that they could not remotely fix. That would be catastrophic and would take weeks/months to fix. Highly unlikely, but absolutely non-zero.
Ok except the fact that I have been on 10.5 for like a month now and just stopped receiving updates all together. It’s one thing if I get it later. It’s another thing if I never get it…

And, thankfully, the seat heaters can be in EITHER Auto or manual mode. Whew, I was sweating that one.

After some butt time in the car, I like the new additions and features. I'll get used to the new layout. I miss being able to quickly and "manually" change the driver profiles at the top of the screen. Don't need to do it very often . . . manually.

I like the new Homelink integration on the screen that appears when in range and disappears out of range, down where the odometer used to be. It's closer to the driver now. Also the compass on the nav is on the driver side of the screen and easier to change to North up or recenter.

I LOVE the new Blind-spot camera capability when you use the turn signal.

And, thankfully, the seat heaters can be in EITHER Auto or manual mode. Whew, I was sweating that one.

After some butt time in the car, I like the new additions and features. I'll get used to the new layout. I miss being able to quickly and "manually" change the driver profiles at the top of the screen. Don't need to do it very often . . . manually.

I like the new Homelink integration on the screen that appears when in range and disappears out of range, down where the odometer used to be. It's closer to the driver now. Also the compass on the nav is on the driver side of the screen and easier to change to North up or recenter.

I LOVE the new Blind-spot camera capability when you use the turn signal.
But did you notice that the blind spot image on the screen overrides the Homelink button? So when I turn into my driveway (after signaling), I cannot touch the Homelink button until the image goes away.

It's a clean interface, but the lack of certain shortcuts is annoying. Now, everything is buried in the control screen. Blind spot camera is great. Sonic is the icing on the cake.
I suspect some drivers will just drive around with Controls open much of the time. On the plus side, it is a way to finally get persistent wiper speed controls. Does anybody know if you can just leave that window open, or will it eventually auto-hide?