Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Holiday Firmware Release - Predictions and Impressions (after release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But did you notice that the blind spot image on the screen overrides the Homelink button? So when I turn into my driveway (after signaling), I cannot touch the Homelink button until the image goes away.

The green homelink icon is still at the top right of the screen. Tap it and you see the old Homelink drop down list at its location that you can tap.

Where have you been for the last 3 years?

Last years’ holiday update immediately comes to mind.
Well, from my experience it does seem to be as follows:
Last year scenario: bunch of useless ppl wine about "long in a tooth design" - a manger is pressed with an update but hits the wall - so they dongle with the existing design, trying to create an impression of a change, but don't touch the overall design and ergonomics..

This year scenario: who the hell told them that ppl will appreciate some sort of open community/kde/linux designs? The ergonomics is broken. People, as far as I can see trying to "find logic", even those who "kinda like it after all" they all have to look for a compromise with themselves.
there is no solid look of a leader, no way in the future with this old linux crap.

I am not talking about obvious ergonomic failures.... everyone else noticed it already.

I just want to roll it back, or i might just hack the hell out of it

Well, from my experience it does seem to be as follows:
Last year scenario: bunch of useless ppl wine about "long in a tooth design" - a manger is pressed with an update but hits the wall - so they dongle with the existing design, trying to create an impression of a change, but don't touch the overall design and ergonomics..

This year scenario: who the hell told them that ppl will appreciate some sort of open community/kde/linux designs? The ergonomics is broken. People, as far as I can see trying to "find logic", even those who "kinda like it after all" they all have to look for a compromise with themselves.
there is no solid look of a leader, no way in the future with this old linux crap.

I am not talking about obvious ergonomic failures.... everyone else noticed it already.

I just want to roll it back, or i might just hack the hell out of it
At least on Linux there are alternatives to whatever UI you have. I hate GNOME 3 with the light of 1000 suns for example, but I can use something else. Not so on a Tesla. I wish somebody would hack the hell out of it, I would strongly consider using a 3rd party firmware on the car. That would probably mean giving up Supercharger access though, but honestly that might be livable if 3rd party DCFC still worked with the adapters.

My only real issue so far with the update is the map before would adjust its zoom automatically based on if I was on the freeway or on a surface street. Now the zoom stays the same and doesn’t automatically adjust unless I’ve missed it.

Also wish taping the temperature brought up the new mini ac menu, instead of the full menu and that a swipe brought up the full menu.

Although I miss the original width and layout for the speedometer area when I first got my Model Y this section is improved from how it was when they first widened it.

I’m astounded by the depth and severity of disfunction in Tesla’s UX department. How could some of these changes have passed any sort of standard review or alpha test process?

How did they manage to increase customizability of the dock bar, removing a few icons (wiper, defrost, etc.) to clear some space, but then fail to include those removed icons in the customizable list?

And the turn signal blocks the garage door opener? Seriously? No one ever tested this? No one signals as they approach their home and discovers someone working/driving under the garage door?

I've been reading this thread and other similar ones on and off. I do agree some things were much easier to access in the previous UI, but there is one thing that keeps popping up that a lot of owners seem to want easy access to which is the tpms screen. I cannot figure out why this particular screen seem so important to a lot of owners. Can anyone shine some light regarding this?

Probably because there’s no possible reason you should ever want to manually invoke the tire pressure screen while driving. If it doesn’t automatically pop up, there’s really nothing you need to know. Unless you’re on a track in which case you can just open the app before your run.

I’m guessing that the people complaining about the TPMS card being removed are so obsessed with their tire pressures that they’ve never let them stray far enough to discover the automatic pop up.

I've been reading this thread and other similar ones on and off. I do agree some things were much easier to access in the previous UI, but there is one thing that keeps popping up that a lot of owners seem to want easy access to which is the tpms screen. I cannot figure out why this particular screen seem so important to a lot of owners. Can anyone shine some light regarding this?
Considering there is no spare tire in the model 3, I like to check my tire pressure each day on my drive to work just to make sure I don't have a slow leak. I'll still do that with two taps of the screen instead of one swipe when I'm stopped at a light. It's not a big deal. I find the removal of the seat warmer icons to be more annoying.

I knew when Elon said "all human input is error" that things were going to be bad. This update clearly reflects what he believes...

Offering “simplified controls” is fine, but I feel like they’ve punished the people that liked the impacted functionality or would have wanted them to trend towards having additional control options added. Let these changes be opt-in/opt-out, or support update rollbacks.

I was excited to check this out and sat down with family members to see the updates, and left the car telling them that I enjoyed the car more yesterday than I do today, which isn’t great!

Anyone else not able to view Sentry Mode events since the update? Maybe I have to dig into a sub-menu now rather than touching the notice on the screen when I’m get back in the car?
I found that the icon in the pop-up tray of apps labelled “Dashcam” is in fact the Dashcam VIEWER. Brings up the latest clip by default and has the icon at the top to display the list of Sentry mode and Dashcam clips.

Whoever has received this update and believes there are actual safety issues with it (which should be an easy argument) PLEASE file a well worded and specific NHTSA complaint. Absolutely bury them with them. It might be the only way to get Tesla to fix any of this. I can't legitimately do that because I have not accepted the update.

So they simplified the controls to make them LESS functional? Ummm... thanks but I want to change driver profiles with one touch, I can't customize the tool bar with the icons Tesla just took away, I don't want the car's current speed behind my right hand while I'm driving, and I want my Max Regeneration back! This is very disappointing for me and should be embarrassing for Tesla. A selling point for Tesla is that software updates make the car better. This one just made it worse.

Reactions: Transformer