Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Holiday Firmware Release - Predictions and Impressions (after release)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So they simplified the controls to make them LESS functional? Ummm... thanks but I want to change driver profiles with one touch, I can't customize the tool bar with the icons Tesla just took away, I don't want the car's current speed behind my right hand while I'm driving, and I want my Max Regeneration back! This is very disappointing for me and should be embarrassing for Tesla. A selling point for Tesla is that software updates make the car better. This one just made it worse.
I agree with everything you say, but what's the story with regeneration? Has that been reduced, I'm not aware of that?

Reactions: Acvr5
I agree with everything you say, but what's the story with regeneration? Has that been reduced, I'm not aware of that?
I was startled when I drove it that regeneration stopped at about 10 miles per hour and I had to apply the brake to stop. I checked the controls and the regeneration options are just Low and Standard with no Max. No more one pedal driving.

I was startled when I drove it that regeneration stopped at about 10 miles per hour and I had to apply the brake to stop. I checked the controls and the regeneration options are just Low and Standard with no Max. No more one pedal driving.
The regen setting does not effect that last 5 mph or so. That is under Stopping Mode (Creep, Hold, or Roll) (at lest it used to be). Make sure yours is set to Hold if you want 1 pedal driving.

Probably because there’s no possible reason you should ever want to manually invoke the tire pressure screen while driving. If it doesn’t automatically pop up, there’s really nothing you need to know. Unless you’re on a track in which case you can just open the app before your run.

I’m guessing that the people complaining about the TPMS card being removed are so obsessed with their tire pressures that they’ve never let them stray far enough to discover the automatic pop up.
You can think of it the other way around: all things in the ui have a discoverable place with full presence in logical spots: such as tires under service, and some of them may have these cards that are not discoverable but nice to have at a glance or at a swipe while driving. (I’m in the i liked the tpms but won’t cry about the loss segment)

I see a ton of questionable ui decisions where each one in isolation can be with some mental contortions be “explained away” but there is no holistic flow, visual or kinesthetic hierarchy, and “simplify level 1” is achieved by putting too many things in level 3. Just count the taps to top 10 functions and you’ll see they most likely doubled (seat heaters? That is super personal and “auto” is not a thing , we’ll solve FSD before the car predicts what I want my butt to feel like depending on day and clothes 🤣)

Before I could call the ui modern and functional and non-pretentious; now it errs on a faux-modernity ( because of square angles?) but seems a hodge podge from 7 teams, flailing and grasping for a level of simplicity it does not attain.
(I acknowledge, it is 1st world problems)

Whoever has received this update and believes there are actual safety issues with it (which should be an easy argument) PLEASE file a well worded and specific NHTSA complaint. Absolutely bury them with them. It might be the only way to get Tesla to fix any of this. I can't legitimately do that because I have not accepted the update.
I had this same thought earlier.

My chief concern is that I can’t see the speedometer with my hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel. I know that different people are different sizes and keep their seats in different positions, but I’m 5’10”, I keep my seat in a normal position, and 10 and 2 is the most normal steering wheel grip. It’s absolutely idiotic and unsafe to place the speedometer where it’s completely blocked by the driver’s hand in such a situation.

My gut tells me that the speedometer placement is probably the best hook to file NHTSA complaints and persuade Tesla to fix this abomination of an update. It looks like speedometer visibility is governed by 49 CFR § 571.101 (49 CFR § 571.101 - Standard No. 101; Controls and displays.):

“S5.1.2 The telltales and indicators listed in Table 1 and Table 2 and their identification must be located so that, when activated, they are visible to a driver under the conditions of S5.6.1 and S5.6.2.”

“S5.6 Conditions
S5.6.1 The driver has adapted to the ambient light roadway conditions.
S5.6.2 The driver is restrained by the seat belts installed in accordance with 49 CFR 571.208 and adjusted in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer's instructions.”

“Driver means the occupant of a motor vehicle seated immediately behind the steering control system.”

• Funny
Reactions: Vin_L
We need that every time the car picks the wrong user profile. (Some people need it quickly, before the seat crushes their knees.) This seems to happen less often lately.

The profile icon could hide when you shift into gear if they really want to simplify the screen.

Each driver profile has its preferred Bluetooth (streaming audio + phone calling). Try setting that again. If that doesn't work, try un-pairing and re-pairing the Bluetooth audio connections.
Tried all of those...still not working. I even got upgraded to the FSD Beta .6 version yesterday and still have to do it manually. I reached out to support and they referred it back to engineering.

My chief concern is that I can’t see the speedometer with my hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel. I know that different people are different sizes and keep their seats in different positions, but I’m 5’10”, I keep my seat in a normal position, and 10 and 2 is the most normal steering wheel grip. It’s absolutely idiotic and unsafe to place the speedometer where it’s completely blocked by the driver’s hand in such a situation.

My gut tells me that the speedometer placement is probably the best hook to file NHTSA complaints and persuade Tesla to fix this abomination of an update. It looks like speedometer visibility is governed by 49 CFR § 571.101 (49 CFR § 571.101 - Standard No. 101; Controls and displays.):

“S5.1.2 The telltales and indicators listed in Table 1 and Table 2 and their identification must be located so that, when activated, they are visible to a driver under the conditions of S5.6.1 and S5.6.2.”

“S5.6 Conditions
S5.6.2 The driver is restrained by the seat belts installed in accordance with 49 CFR 571.208 and adjusted in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer's instructions.”

“Driver means the occupant of a motor vehicle seated immediately behind the steering control system.”
Wipers…. “Auto” has never worked for any duration. And they are a hazard to adjust. I’d like to be able to pin open the wiper control dialog at times. Or +/- wiper speed control on the bottom would be good.

Maybe they need to start opening up the system to 3rd party widgets.

Funny. What people praise I dislike. What people don’t like, I like. Yay for opinions! Example. I actually like the new font and placement of the vehicle speed and my hands do not block it. I do not like the blindside camera because my arm is in the way when I drive (10 and 2 or 9 and 3) and it is annoying when signaling to turn into my driveway as it blocks the gate and garage controls. Also find it slow. Others have already covered nighttime driving with it and it’s no good.

It’s going to take some time to adjust to. Right now I’m neutral.

The best use of the blind spot cams is to avoid curbing the wheels while turning - you will see if you have space between the wheel and the curb. Otherwise, it is not much of a helper on top of the visualization of cars around you.

The best use of the blind spot cams is to avoid curbing the wheels while turning - you will see if you have space between the wheel and the curb. Otherwise, it is not much of a helper on top of the visualization of cars around you.
Don't know about you, but it would be a helper maybe if they could project it on the mirrors, my eyes are on the mirrors, not at the bottom of my screen, maybe if they put it at the top of the screen it might be a bit more helpful. The visualization on the screen is horrible. I literally have it showing me no one beside me when clearly I'm going to hit a car if I switch lanes.

Reactions: Frunkenstein
Does anyone know when talking on the phone how I can get to the phone controls if someone doesn't have their seatbelt on? Previously you could swipe through the cards I believe if needed. Now I don't see any way. I really don't understand how clicking on the phone application does not show the current call.

Can anyone get a controller to work with sonic? Reading multiple people can’t get their controllers to work, including myself. The controller works fine for the other games.
what type of controller are you using? I had the same issue with my DualShock 4 controller; I wondered if an xbox controller would work but haven't tried yet.
edit: I decided to go test, and my xbox one controller DID work with sonic, using the exact same microusb to usbc cable that I was using for the DS4, plugged into the same usb port on the car. So probably does require an xinput controller or something like that, which is a bit weird since it's the first I've played to work this way.

Last edited:
I wonder if Tesla gathers actual usage data from the buttons on the UI? That would be the smart thing to do. It may be that things that have been moved into a submenu are actually things that fewer people use (though that doesn't stop it being annoying for the few people who use them regularly, as this thread shows!)

So far, I prefer this version to the previous one, but I also think that there's probably a reasonably substantial redesign of the underlying code and we may see quite a few changes in the next couple of versions, so perhaps some of the niggles will be addressed.

“S5.6 Conditions

Please calm down when we received the version 10 we have lots of bug specially on S and X dashscreen with smaller text and icons that not readable when driving after 2-3 updates the problems are corrected it's only the version 11.0

“S5.6 Conditions

What car do you have strange is only the 3 messages on this forum