Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Holiday Update - GARBAGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From this thread I almost feel like I'm living in a different universe. I've been getting regular updates for my 2019 Raven X and for reasons explained below, I feel very differently.

On a more fundamental level, however, I strongly disagree with the premise that Tesla has "drawn a line in the sand" or made any sort of conscious decision to ignore "legacy" cars. In fact I believe just the opposite is true. If my 2019 Raven is running the same software version as a brand new Model Y it is clearly not being short-changed. I also disagree about the usefulness of OTA releases--to me they are a major plus for several reasons.

My 2¢. Sorry for the rant.
Well....drawing a line in the sand does begin with calling something "legacy", especially if it is a 2021 pre-refresh X! The optics are horrible and it just isn't a software thing at this point.

For example, refresh X and S get the live sentry while the rest of us "legacy" can simply suck it. Why? Because we don't have an interior camera and the code they use calls very specific systems on the bus. Can the write around this, maybe but I am not holding my breath because if it was easy, they would have done it already given this "upgrade" has been out for 3 months now. So why in the hell pay for premium connectivity?

The blind spot upgrade. Totally doable with HW2.5+...certainly with 3.0! Just because the versioning of the software is the same, what they chose to omit is telling and unnecessary. Your brand new spanking model Y has "features" that your "luxury" high-end vehicle does not so comparing versioning is apples to oranges.

The UI update.....for 2022...wow and pathetic. No programmer should ever be the "focus group"!

Reactions: ContrarianDC
P.S. Although I haven't verified in the car itself, in the App's owner's manual updated for this release, under "Using the Touchscreen/Controls/Autopilot there's a setting for "Blind Spot Camera" which when turned on displays the corresponding side camera when a turn signal is engaged.
That would be a nope! Go look at this chart, under Blind Spot Camera, then move to the Legacy Model X/S column and see that big fat -

wish they'd have legacies this last v11 update. It's total *sugar* and I'm not real happy at how badly they screwed the interaction. Moving the heated seat buttons in the dead of winter I've rarely been this disappointed with an update but that entire menu bar is crap now.
It's not the best attitude to have, but part of me is glad they've screwed up the UX so bad that the majority feels the way I felt about v9 (when they made it impossible to turn on the rear heated seats or heated steering wheel while leaving the HVAC off [vs briefly turning it on and back off] and removed the ability to have individual HVAC components in auto while others are manually adjusted [a function available in most, if not all, automatic HVAC systems since the early 90's even if many users had no clue they could do it]). IMO, while v9 -> v11 sucks in some ways, it still isn't as bad as v8 -> v9 was, and I got the impression back then that some were more disappointed by v6 -> v7 than v8 -> v9.

I do agree with most of the comments here.
I have a 2017 Model X with an updated computer and Infotainment system. I would say, I would love to have the Live View, and we should get the Blind Spot update! Also the auto seat warmer. They removed the easy access seat heater settings, saying we have the Auto setting, but not for the Model X! Maybe they could add it as an icon that we could include in our Dashboard? Also, why can't we do the customized light shows!!!!

This is what Tesla does, this is who Tesla is, and I'm constantly shocked that after almost a decade (Model S started delivery in late 2012 IIRC) of lies and half-truths that people are STILL somehow shocked when Tesla does something shady or out right wrong. This company is not ethical, it's not run by people who give a damn about anything other than what they want, and be prepared at a moments notice for Tesla to render your car to second tier status just because it can.

Jeff

I like some things about the V11 UI on my legacy X, and I dislike others, and it hasn't really impacted how I feel about the car in any way other than I think it is overall an improvement primarily because I'm finding the functions I actually use the most, other than the HVAC, are easier to get to than they were.

But this update had zero impact for me on actually, you know, operating the vehicle, because I have an instrument panel, and stalks, and physical buttons and such. If I had a Model 3/Y I think I'd be pretty irritated just from watching others try to navigate what should be completely thoughtless, eyes on road tasks.

Totally agree. Who knew physical controls (stalks) were so useful? Programmers can't hide them.

You should never make people have to re-learn how to do basic things for no compelling reason.

Im actually sort of ready to move on with one exception, defrost is something you should be able to do with *one* touch.

Reactions: mxnym
It's not the best attitude to have, but part of me is glad they've screwed up the UX so bad that the majority feels the way I felt about v9 (when they made it impossible to turn on the rear heated seats or heated steering wheel while leaving the HVAC off [vs briefly turning it on and back off] and removed the ability to have individual HVAC components in auto while others are manually adjusted [a function available in most, if not all, automatic HVAC systems since the early 90's even if many users had no clue they could do it]). IMO, while v9 -> v11 sucks in some ways, it still isn't as bad as v8 -> v9 was, and I got the impression back then that some were more disappointed by v6 -> v7 than v8 -> v9.
Seems like a steady decrease in happiness. v6>v7>v8>v9>v10>v11. At some point, when regular people get this and these changes get applied as 'change for the sake of change', maybe, just maybe, it will have to stop.

I tried to avoid taking the update, but something in the MCU gets upset when ignore for too long and it locks up. Then to close garage doors or get control of heat, have to do a 2-button reset. Once the update is applied,it seems to not lockup every couple days.

I finally took the Holiday update last night, as wife aborted driving the car earlier in the day as she wont do 2-button reset and couldn't shut the garage. Had to take the old ICE car. Luckily, that one has NEVER required a computer reboot in 6 years of ownership :)