Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Holiday Update - GARBAGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one cares. Be happy you’re still getting updates. WOW, you didn’t get the blind side camera addition, yet you’ve been driving 6 months without it just fine. Or it’s been driving you. Either way you have features on your car most others car can only dream of having.

This is not a big deal, move on
That's not the point all older model 3 y get all of the new features why not S X ?

That's not the point all older model 3 y get all of the new features why not S X ?

My suspicion is that there’s either a bandwidth or network constraint in the architecture. The computers may be similar between S/X and 3/Y, but they are *not* the same. The buses and networks especially are not.

So it’s possible the real-time display of the repeaters isn’t easy. Or takes too much bandwidth. Or wouldn’t startup fast enough. Or … or … or …. Lots going on in these cars.

Not making excuses, just saying that it’s more likely something more than meets the eye, rather than “screw the X owners!”

The ’legacy’ wording was indeed interesting. A 6mo old car can already be ’legacy’.

Anyway, only the blind spot camera would have been interesting update for me, everything else was more or less pointless and the usability got far worse in terms of winter use. Even the driver profile setting is now hidden in the menus and the automatic switching has never worked in either of our cars (3LR/XLR++).

I still remember Tesla touting OTA as the killer feature that would allow their vehicles to be constantly updated, and thus would NOT become outdated like, a "legacy" car.

I still remember Tesla touting OTA as the killer feature that would allow their vehicles to be constantly updated, and thus would NOT become outdated like, a "legacy" car.
And yet, somehow, even 9 year old Model S’s are getting this software update.

Maybe they actually are doing what they said they would?

Too many people are getting wrapped around the axle over one word in one blog post. Seriously.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
My suspicion is that there’s either a bandwidth or network constraint in the architecture. The computers may be similar between S/X and 3/Y, but they are *not* the same. The buses and networks especially are not.

So it’s possible the real-time display of the repeaters isn’t easy. Or takes too much bandwidth. Or wouldn’t startup fast enough. Or … or … or …. Lots going on in these cars.

Not making excuses, just saying that it’s more likely something more than meets the eye, rather than “screw the X owners!”
Here is the deal, if we can manually activate the rear and the side repeater cameras while drive, which we CAN, then there is ZERO reason other than lazy to give us blind spot.

There are also a lot of other concerns with this upgrade.

My 2020 model X Raven will not open doors from main screen after update to this version. If I push open doors icon many times the front doors open at last, but the falconwing doors will not open at all.

They have also removed the windscreen button from the main screen. I live in Norway with snow and cold weather. After driving 5 to 10 minutes the windshield very often start dewing. I now have to go in the menu to activate the airstream to the windshield while I am driving – not very safe.

I encourage EVERYONE not NOT HAPPY with this update to contact Tesla and don’t hold back letting them know what you think.
Why did they ruin the perfectly intuitive, and industry leading UI that attracted us to this car, and that we paid for.
Let the Class Actions begin!

Best of luck with that.

Reactions: dmurphy

Wait a second …. Do you mean to say that this isn’t the final, permanent firmware and we won’t all be stuck with it in its current form from now till the Sun implodes?

Will wonders never cease …

• Funny
Reactions: ContrarianDC
From this thread I almost feel like I'm living in a different universe. I've been getting regular updates for my 2019 Raven X and for reasons explained below, I feel very differently.

For starters, when I got in my car yesterday a full page of release notes for V. 2021.44.25.2 was on the screen. Among other things, it includes substantial changes to the user interface, the most prominent of which is a redesigned, much improved and customizable bottom app bar. Overcoming serious anxiety having never driven an EV, my wife absolutely loves her new Model Y delivered two weeks ago. That was my first exposure to the horizontal screen and this update is clearly intended to provide some of those interface improvements for older Model Xs with vertical screens. Interestingly, as I was writing this I noticed her car is on the exact same software release. I'm scheduled for delivery of a refreshed Model X in February (my 3rd) and having driven her car I'm looking forward to the new interface, but I must say I like this release a lot.

Before this update I was also having terrible problems with the browser--constant crashes and very slow for those brief moment when it managed to run. Although the release notes said nothing about browser improvements I can tell you after the update the browser is dramatically improved. I hope I'm not jinxing anything but it is noticeably faster--the way it should be--and no crashes whatsoever in several trips. Hope this continues....

The release notes also described a bunch of new games and entertainment stuff which really weren't of much interest to me and I didn't look carefully at everything. I do think I remember seeing something about dash cam although I could be imagining that; I'll check the next time I'm in the car. Enabling live dash cam isn't a major issue for me because I often drive with all three cameras displayed which doesn't look much different from the dashcam footage.

As to other specific issues, in response to M.Male, I've never had any problem opening or closing doors from the interface. BlueBird said one pedal driving doesn't come to a stop on older cars but mine comes to a stop whether autopilot is on or off. What I don't understand is why I am getting updates for my 2019 MX and others with 2020 models are not.

On a more fundamental level, however, I strongly disagree with the premise that Tesla has "drawn a line in the sand" or made any sort of conscious decision to ignore "legacy" cars. In fact I believe just the opposite is true. If my 2019 Raven is running the same software version as a brand new Model Y it is clearly not being short-changed. I also disagree about the usefulness of OTA releases--to me they are a major plus for several reasons.

Teslas are essentially computers on wheels and the company is a cutting edge software developer of constantly evolving automotive functionality that never existed before. Bugs or unexpected consequences are inevitable and without real-time OTA upgrades the cars would be impossible to maintain. But that's not the only benefit. Hardware permitting, albeit maybe not as quickly as we might like, Tesla enhances cars they've already sold by incorporating new developments usually at no charge. Most vendors charge for software updates.

But don't get me wrong. Trust me, I'm not a Tesla fanboy; without question, there are things which really annoy me and I share the frustration that Tesla often doesn't seem to respond to what we think are simple, obvious and important upgrades. I've maintained a list of things that would really improve the interface which I know from experience in the software business could be implemented with very little effort. Over the 6 years since I got my first Tesla some but not all of those items have been addressed--it's just taken forever--and of course new ones have been added.

To put this in perspective, however, I spend 12-15 hours each day totally dependent on software, hardware and related technology to get my professional work done and the exact same complaints apply to every company whose products I use--starting with Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, Google, etc. Nor should anyone lose sight of the enormous magnitude of Tesla's business, compounded by the challenges of component shortages and maintaining an adequate number of qualified employees to do what must be done, much less what they'd like to do. Tesla's primary focus is obviously on producing enhanced functionality to sell new and refreshed models, which over time finds its way to older models.

Perhaps the following will best explain my reaction to this thread. I freely confess the Mercedes EQS got my attention big time. Mercedes are wonderful cars--I've owned a 1967 250SE Convertible for more than 50 years and it's still as solid as a rock and rides better than my Tesla or the BMW 750 I drove before. The EQS is really exciting in every way... except it's substantially more expensive than my new Model X and isn't an SUV. Bottom line, although you apparently feel differently, even taking at face value the grumbling about Tesla's shortcomings, I'm saying any real alternative to a Model X only exists in the upper reaches of the automotive stratosphere. If an owner of a recent Model X is not getting all the updates something's wrong and they should find out why instead of condemning the company or the product.

My 2¢. Sorry for the rant.

From this thread I almost feel like I'm living in a different universe. I've been getting regular updates for my 2019 Raven X and for reasons explained below, I feel very differently.

For starters, when I got in my car yesterday a full page of release notes for V. 2021.44.25.2 was on the screen. Among other things, it includes substantial changes to the user interface, the most prominent of which is a redesigned, much improved and customizable bottom app bar. Overcoming serious anxiety having never driven an EV, my wife absolutely loves her new Model Y delivered two weeks ago. That was my first exposure to the horizontal screen and this update is clearly intended to provide some of those interface improvements for older Model Xs with vertical screens. Interestingly, as I was writing this I noticed her car is on the exact same software release. I'm scheduled for delivery of a refreshed Model X in February (my 3rd) and having driven her car I'm looking forward to the new interface, but I must say I like this release a lot.

Before this update I was also having terrible problems with the browser--constant crashes and very slow for those brief moment when it managed to run. Although the release notes said nothing about browser improvements I can tell you after the update the browser is dramatically improved. I hope I'm not jinxing anything but it is noticeably faster--the way it should be--and no crashes whatsoever in several trips. Hope this continues....

The release notes also described a bunch of new games and entertainment stuff which really weren't of much interest to me and I didn't look carefully at everything. I do think I remember seeing something about dash cam although I could be imagining that; I'll check the next time I'm in the car. Enabling live dash cam isn't a major issue for me because I often drive with all three cameras displayed which doesn't look much different from the dashcam footage.

As to other specific issues, in response to M.Male, I've never had any problem opening or closing doors from the interface. BlueBird said one pedal driving doesn't come to a stop on older cars but mine comes to a stop whether autopilot is on or off. What I don't understand is why I am getting updates for my 2019 MX and others with 2020 models are not.

On a more fundamental level, however, I strongly disagree with the premise that Tesla has "drawn a line in the sand" or made any sort of conscious decision to ignore "legacy" cars. In fact I believe just the opposite is true. If my 2019 Raven is running the same software version as a brand new Model Y it is clearly not being short-changed. I also disagree about the usefulness of OTA releases--to me they are a major plus for several reasons.

Teslas are essentially computers on wheels and the company is a cutting edge software developer of constantly evolving automotive functionality that never existed before. Bugs or unexpected consequences are inevitable and without real-time OTA upgrades the cars would be impossible to maintain. But that's not the only benefit. Hardware permitting, albeit maybe not as quickly as we might like, Tesla enhances cars they've already sold by incorporating new developments usually at no charge. Most vendors charge for software updates.

But don't get me wrong. Trust me, I'm not a Tesla fanboy; without question, there are things which really annoy me and I share the frustration that Tesla often doesn't seem to respond to what we think are simple, obvious and important upgrades. I've maintained a list of things that would really improve the interface which I know from experience in the software business could be implemented with very little effort. Over the 6 years since I got my first Tesla some but not all of those items have been addressed--it's just taken forever--and of course new ones have been added.

To put this in perspective, however, I spend 12-15 hours each day totally dependent on software, hardware and related technology to get my professional work done and the exact same complaints apply to every company whose products I use--starting with Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, Google, etc. Nor should anyone lose sight of the enormous magnitude of Tesla's business, compounded by the challenges of component shortages and maintaining an adequate number of qualified employees to do what must be done, much less what they'd like to do. Tesla's primary focus is obviously on producing enhanced functionality to sell new and refreshed models, which over time finds its way to older models.

Perhaps the following will best explain my reaction to this thread. I freely confess the Mercedes EQS got my attention big time. Mercedes are wonderful cars--I've owned a 1967 250SE Convertible for more than 50 years and it's still as solid as a rock and rides better than my Tesla or the BMW 750 I drove before. The EQS is really exciting in every way... except it's substantially more expensive than my new Model X and isn't an SUV. Bottom line, although you apparently feel differently, even taking at face value the grumbling about Tesla's shortcomings, I'm saying any real alternative to a Model X only exists in the upper reaches of the automotive stratosphere. If an owner of a recent Model X is not getting all the updates something's wrong and they should find out why instead of condemning the company or the product.

My 2¢. Sorry for the rant.
Wow, what a “Great Wall” of Text! 😲😬😵‍💫

More seriously, great write up!

P.S. Although I haven't verified in the car itself, in the App's owner's manual updated for this release, under "Using the Touchscreen/Controls/Autopilot there's a setting for "Blind Spot Camera" which when turned on displays the corresponding side camera when a turn signal is engaged.

wish they'd have legacies this last v11 update. It's total *sugar* and I'm not real happy at how badly they screwed the interaction. Moving the heated seat buttons in the dead of winter I've rarely been this disappointed with an update but that entire menu bar is crap now.