Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021: Low Frequency Vibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed this today: when standing still, there is a low frequency vibration (probably ≤ 40Hz) lasting about 2 seconds, then cycling through every 5-10 seconds thereafter. It seems to originate at a structurally-sensitive point that vibrates the frame of the car. Reminded me a bit of a sub-woofer in a car parked next to me.

On another forum it was speculated that this is the heat pump in action.

Any comments?

P.S: AC was off when this happened, so must be something else

I, too, get this on my 2021 when it wakes up after I pull open the driver’s side door. I suspect it is related to the heat pump, as turning off the A/C, waiting a bit, then turning it back on will cause the sound. It is like a subwoofer effect.

I am getting this too. Parked, with spotify playing and fan blowing. Thought it was something wrong with the music. Turned down volume. Yes there was the rumble, about 2 seconds long, maybe 30 seconds apart.
Forgot to mention 2021 M3 Long Range, 2 weeks old. I was in the car a few minutes before

Reminds me when I park and sit in a Prius without turning off the car. Initially it is on battery and silent, then eventually there is a low rumble as the gas engine starts.

A little disconcerting that its normal...really sounds odd. Never heard it in other cars...This is my first EV though maybe its normal to hear all else being so quiet.
You never heard/felt it in an ICE because our hearing/felling is relative. The noisy/vibrating ICE masks its compressor but you get used to the noise/vibrating it makes idling and perceive it as quiet.

Yes....it sounds like a sub woofer! I don't believe it's the pump per se, but the vibrating pump sets up a resonance in something else (maybe the large plastic frunk) or anything else that might be touching one of the lines, etc. I had the frunk out when the homelink transmitter was being installed. The pump itself is very quiet (as quiet was a high quality refrigerator). I don't think you would even hear it inside the car. It's that period of time when the pump first cuts on that it seems to resonate with something in the car. The mounts for the pump are VERY soft, just a tiny bit of pressure causes the pump to flop around (assuming that's how it's supposed to be mounted).

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
Perhaps a software update could fix it... seriously! Since it's such a consistent and predictable low-frequency tone, a perfectly matched out-of-phase tone from the audio system would cancel it out for all seating positions. The system software may know exactly when and what RPM it is running the heat pump at so it could generate the reverse phase sound.

Hmm.. maybe I'll just put on Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor... that outa fix it. Simpler.

• Funny
Reactions: TBrownTX
Noticed this today: when standing still, there is a low frequency vibration (probably ≤ 40Hz) lasting about 2 seconds, then cycling through every 5-10 seconds thereafter. It seems to originate at a structurally-sensitive point that vibrates the frame of the car. Reminded me a bit of a sub-woofer in a car parked next to me.

On another forum it was speculated that this is the heat pump in action.

Any comments?

P.S: AC was off when this happened, so must be something else
Maybe it's a stupid question, but I take it people have eliminated the PWS as the source of the sound, as that was not mentioned?
Tesla adds pedestrian warning system to Model 3 - Electrek

Note early Model Ys had acoustic covers retrofitted to address noise from it. However, all Model 3s with the heat pump should have come with them already from factory.
Heat pump acoustic cover

Maybe it's a stupid question, but I take it people have eliminated the PWS as the source of the sound, as that was not mentioned?
Tesla adds pedestrian warning system to Model 3 - Electrek

Note early Model Ys had acoustic covers retrofitted to address noise from it. However, all Model 3s with the heat pump should have come with them already from factory.
Heat pump acoustic cover
Highly doubtful. It's not the kind of noise you would use to warn or notify anyone of anything. Poster above is correct, sounds like a subwoofer from a car parked next to you!

Highly doubtful. It's not the kind of noise you would use to warn or notify anyone of anything. Poster above is correct, sounds like a subwoofer from a car parked next to you!

I have OCD really bad. The smallest sounds, imperfections, or things being out of place really bother me. For some reason this doesn't. I only ever hear it when sitting in my car inside the garage, otherwise it either does not occur or is not detectable. Agree it's kind of weird, but so are half the other popping, buzzing, and fan like sounds the car makes when just sitting there. Still overall 10X quieter then any ICE car I've owned!

Tim