Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 LR Collision - Body Shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pics - So this last week, my friend rolled into their parking spot at work. However they didn’t realize that they didn’t put the car into “park” as it was in hold mode. They remained in the car for a couple minutes, and thought that their Model Y was rolling forward. Panicking, he floored the car while trying to hit the brakes unfortunately. It slammed the car in front of him before he was able to get it to stop.

The front bumper of was damaged (he popped it back into place) and the the front panel on the right side was also bent slightly, causing a loud squeak whenever the front passenger side door is opened. The alignment of the panels were also damaged as you can see from the pictures. In the meantime, the glass roof also managed to crack.

They tried to get an appointment at the Tesla Service Center, but got told to find a certified body shop and are looking for body shops currently.

The greatest issue is that AutoPilot functionality has been impacted severely. The car now sometimes brakes in the middle of the interstate, or other times does not brake at all. It does a really bad job at sensing cars.

I’m guessing that some of the sensors/camera have been affected? Has anybody experienced this after a collision? It also rolled over a bump, so could there be underside/ battery damage?

Finally, does anyone know what the turnaround times are to get the car in and out of a shop these days? Like how long would it take to get the parts from Tesla?

I was also wondering if frame damage is possible, since the alignment of the door is slightly off.

TLDR: Friend had a small frontal collision, AP affected. Need advice about service and turnaround times.

Reactions: AJ..
Internet evaluations aren't useful. Period. Even with your posted photos, it's impossible to tell the extent of the damage/cost. Ditto for "turnaround time."

SOOOO many variables, impacted by parts supplies, regional differences, etc.

You're at the mercy of your local Service Center. Hope you've got a good one nearby!

If your pal lives in Los Angeles metro area, I can recommend Jim & Jack’s Auto Collision center , the Location in the city of El Segundo. They performed a miracle upon my MYP a few months ago. Tesla sends body work to them & they are certified. They have many glowing reviews from Tesla owners & other brands.
I can’t say how long repairs like your pal’s would take. My car needed panel misalignments corrected due to sloppy job at factory so no new parts were needed. It took about 1.5 weeks for them to fix 5 tricky panel mis alignments / gaps.

ElectricAnt54:

HUH??? 1.5 WEEKS to adjust panel gaps, that only require a socket wrench and a rubber mallet? I don't understand.
You might have trouble correcting multiple lift gate issues with only a socket wrench and rubber mallet. Besides liftgate issues, I had multiple exterior issues as well as interior fixes. At highly regarded repair shops In Los Angeles it is not uncommon for a person to drop off a vehicle for repair and having to wait some days before repair shop even starts to work on the vehicle. My car sat in the same spot outside for days with no activity taking place. We have a large population in Los Angeles so waiting for something good is part of life.

Reactions: Pianewman
Not going to speculate on the damage or why the malfunctions but tell your friend he needs to secure another vehicle if he doesn’t have an extra in the garage because he’s not getting that back until July or August if he takes it in tomorrow.

I know everyones case is different, but I doubt itll take that long.

I just had 8k of damage replaced a month or so back from a deer strike. Tesla took a week to get my shop all the parts which included a good amount of stuff. Total time to get back and rewrapped in the damage spot was under a month.

Luckily, the spot I chose to go to in Rhode Island gives out loaner M3s! Pretty sweet

IMG_0463.jpeg

IMG_0465.jpeg

If your pal lives in Los Angeles metro area, I can recommend Jim & Jack’s Auto Collision center , the Location in the city of El Segundo. They performed a miracle upon my MYP a few months ago. Tesla sends body work to them & they are certified. They have many glowing reviews from Tesla owners & other brands.
I can’t say how long repairs like your pal’s would take. My car needed panel misalignments corrected due to sloppy job at factory so no new parts were needed. It took about 1.5 weeks for them to fix 5 tricky panel mis alignments / gaps.
Unfortunately, he's in TN. But thanks anyway!

Dang. Wait times are that long?

I got hit on Black Friday and just went to pick up my car today, to find out it’s not repaired properly. Paint issues, alignment issues, panel gaps. I’m at a certified Tesla repair shop, that also is a Ferrari dealership so I was hoping for as close to perfection as possible and didn’t end up meeting my expectations. Should be “a few more days” 🙃