Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 LR ignores scheduled charge if I open the app. Starts charging. (Fixed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. I recently flipped to intelligent Octopus after having a smart meter installed. Excited to see a drop in my bills with the scheduled charging but I’ve noticed something odd.

The car is plugged in waiting for it’s overnight charge. I like to check in on the car, you know, so I open the app every now and then. Tonight is my first scheduled charge where I’ve checked in before the charge time. I noticed when I open the app, the car starts charging. I can see the charging numbers start to tick up in the app so it definitely starts once I’ve opened the app. I’ve also confirmed as the Podpoint clicks, like it does when a charge starts.

Everything in the app is set correctly. Scheduled charge is set and on. When go back to the Home Screen from the app it is definitely waiting for the scheduled charge, it’s not charging.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don’t want the car to start charging just because I opened the app earlier than the scheduled charge. Seems like a bug. iOS 15.1.1

FIXED: As I’ve been writing this I wanted to also post the app version. On checking I saw a new versions (4.4.1) was released 22 hrs ago. I updated the app to that version and the charge does not start automatically when I open the app. It remains patient and waiting. Hope others find this useful if they’ve noticed similar strange charging behaviour.

Hi. I took delivery of a new Model S LR three weeks ago, and I am having similar charge scheduling problems as described above by Theneased, but my problem persists. I schedule the car to start charging at 11:00PM, but when I plug in at say 10:00AM, it will start charging uncommanded 10-45 min later. If I select Stop Charging on app, it will stop but restart a few minutes later. If, alternatively, I go to app Schedule page, deselect 11PM start time then reselect, charging stops and the car waits longer to restart charging. Overall, though, the car has never waited more than 45 min after plug-in to begin charging.

The Tesla shop checked it out and could find no issue, although they only tested start times 5-10 minutes in future. Their next planned fix is to reload the wall charger firmware. I hope that fixes it! My iPhone has Tesla app version 4.4.4, FYI.

I have recommissioned the wall charger, checked for good WiFi signal, most current update. All status light indications are normal. Any other ideas?

Thx.

Their next planned fix is to reload the wall charger firmware. I hope that fixes it!
That would be a really strange step to think it would address this, since charging cannot be started from that end, from the device outside the car, to "push" the charging. It doesn't work that way. It is always the car that commences the charging process. I guess it could appear so, if the car is always asking to charge (not scheduled), and the wall connector is just having functional difficulties and isn't able to respond to the requests to make the connection for a while and then suddenly does.

Rocky, I always assumed that the car must control, and it turns out, it does—the problem was another app, Optiwatt. I had downloaded Optiwatt to my phone shortly after getting the car then decided to delete the app along with its data. Unfortunately, Optiwatt continued to interfere without my knowledge or permission.

Apparently, Optiwatt keeps app-entered credentials, then continues to control car after the app is deleted. I had no idea. I only found out when I changed my Tesla app password today, then instantly got a query from Optiwatt to deauthorize their access. I declined, and my car now observes the Tesla charging schedule.

Beware of outside apps! Please spread widely, because I suspect other owners are unwitting victims.

Thx -JJ

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Unfortunately, Optiwatt continued to interfere without my knowledge or permission.

Apparently, Optiwatt keeps app-entered credentials, then continues to control car after the app is deleted. I had no idea.
Yeah, that's how all of those kinds of apps work. The app itself can't talk to the car. You are using the app on your phone as a front-end for you to give input. That is configuring and telling the Optiwatt system in their servers what to tell the car to do, and it will keep on doing that until you tell it otherwise. Removing your input interface (the app) just removes your ability to change what it's doing.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec