Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 LR Model 3 - How do I fix this annoying trunk lid alignment?

ilikemypizza

Mar 14, 2021
Buffalo, New York
I can't seem figure out where the issue of my trunk lid alignment is coming from.

The left side of the trunk lid sits more inset/inward by maybe 1/4 of an inch and the gap is about 1/4 wider. The right side is almost touching the bumper (almost too close for my liking, honestly).

I've tried adjusting the rubber adjustment knobs but that only seems to fix the gap at the bottom and then it throws the actual trunk panel off. I looked at the bolts, but I don't believe that is going to fix this issue either... but maybe that's it?

The nearest service center said "it's within spec, bro" which is why I am coming here for help for any DIY tips and advice. Maybe I just take it to a body shop and pay for it at this point? Should I try the service center again and tell them I'll pay for it even if it is "within spec"?

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice here. I looked at pictures of the 2021 I test drove and it didn't have this problem, so it must be something that can be adjusted.

PXL_20210331_194334419.PORTRAIT.jpg

ilikemypizza

Mar 14, 2021
Buffalo, New York
Moral of the story here - don't mess with it. I broke my rear glass and have an expensive service appointment coming up in a few weeks. I'm also having them fix that trunk or proving to me its "within spec"

• Informative
Reactions: KenC

Doggiedog

Jul 1, 2020
Fort Lee, NJ
I had the same problem with mine. I took it into the service center and they agreed there was an unacceptable gap and made some adjustments. I hadn't used my trunk in a while but when I did and tried to drive off, I had an alarm that my trunk was open. I pushed the trunk back in thinking nothing was wrong but when I had to open the trunk again, the arm started scraping against the frame. The trunk wouldn’t close properly anymore and I had to pull the trunk down by force to get it to close. It seems in an attempt to fix the gap, they made the tolerance too tight causing the rubbing. Took it in last week and they said it would need body work since the paint is scraped off and the metalwork is bent so it’s getting fixed right now. Long story short, sometimes the cure is worse than the symptom. The gap wasn’t bothering me that much so maybe I shouldn’t have had it looked it. Still, I can understand if it bothers you especially when you spent so much on the car.

20210521_114436.jpg
20210521_114443.jpg
20210521_114430.jpg

Reactions: ilikemypizza

ilikemypizza

Mar 14, 2021
Buffalo, New York
I had the same problem with mine. I took it into the service center and they agreed there was an unacceptable gap and made some adjustments. I hadn't used my trunk in a while but when I did and tried to drive off, I had an alarm that my trunk was open. I pushed the trunk back in thinking nothing was wrong but when I had to open the trunk again, the arm started scraping against the frame. The trunk wouldn’t close properly anymore and I had to pull the trunk down by force to get it to close. It seems in an attempt to fix the gap, they made the tolerance too tight causing the rubbing. Took it in last week and they said it would need body work since the paint is scraped off and the metalwork is bent so it’s getting fixed right now. Long story short, sometimes the cure is worse than the symptom. The gap wasn’t bothering me that much so maybe I shouldn’t have had it looked it. Still, I can understand if it bothers you especially when you spent so much on the car.

View attachment 672008View attachment 672009View attachment 672010
Yikes, thanks for sharing. I had service look at it today actually. Ultimately you're right in that the fix can cause more harm than good. Mines still not perfect but I'm the only one who will notice it anyways. I'm just going to learn to live with it.

Reactions: Doggiedog

Doggiedog

Jul 1, 2020
Fort Lee, NJ
I'm still waiting for my car back. This LR loaner in chill mode really makes me miss my Performance. In fact, I took the loaner to Brooklyn last weekend and forgot where I parked it. Had to walk around 4 blocks to find it. Was wishing I had my car then so I could locate it on the app.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC