Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 LR Model 3 - How do I fix this annoying trunk lid alignment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't seem figure out where the issue of my trunk lid alignment is coming from.

The left side of the trunk lid sits more inset/inward by maybe 1/4 of an inch and the gap is about 1/4 wider. The right side is almost touching the bumper (almost too close for my liking, honestly).

I've tried adjusting the rubber adjustment knobs but that only seems to fix the gap at the bottom and then it throws the actual trunk panel off. I looked at the bolts, but I don't believe that is going to fix this issue either... but maybe that's it?

The nearest service center said "it's within spec, bro" which is why I am coming here for help for any DIY tips and advice. Maybe I just take it to a body shop and pay for it at this point? Should I try the service center again and tell them I'll pay for it even if it is "within spec"?

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice here. I looked at pictures of the 2021 I test drove and it didn't have this problem, so it must be something that can be adjusted.

PXL_20210331_194334419.PORTRAIT.jpg

I had the same problem with mine. I took it into the service center and they agreed there was an unacceptable gap and made some adjustments. I hadn't used my trunk in a while but when I did and tried to drive off, I had an alarm that my trunk was open. I pushed the trunk back in thinking nothing was wrong but when I had to open the trunk again, the arm started scraping against the frame. The trunk wouldn’t close properly anymore and I had to pull the trunk down by force to get it to close. It seems in an attempt to fix the gap, they made the tolerance too tight causing the rubbing. Took it in last week and they said it would need body work since the paint is scraped off and the metalwork is bent so it’s getting fixed right now. Long story short, sometimes the cure is worse than the symptom. The gap wasn’t bothering me that much so maybe I shouldn’t have had it looked it. Still, I can understand if it bothers you especially when you spent so much on the car.

20210521_114436.jpg
20210521_114443.jpg
20210521_114430.jpg

Reactions: ilikemypizza
I had the same problem with mine. I took it into the service center and they agreed there was an unacceptable gap and made some adjustments. I hadn't used my trunk in a while but when I did and tried to drive off, I had an alarm that my trunk was open. I pushed the trunk back in thinking nothing was wrong but when I had to open the trunk again, the arm started scraping against the frame. The trunk wouldn’t close properly anymore and I had to pull the trunk down by force to get it to close. It seems in an attempt to fix the gap, they made the tolerance too tight causing the rubbing. Took it in last week and they said it would need body work since the paint is scraped off and the metalwork is bent so it’s getting fixed right now. Long story short, sometimes the cure is worse than the symptom. The gap wasn’t bothering me that much so maybe I shouldn’t have had it looked it. Still, I can understand if it bothers you especially when you spent so much on the car.

View attachment 672008View attachment 672009View attachment 672010
Yikes, thanks for sharing. I had service look at it today actually. Ultimately you're right in that the fix can cause more harm than good. Mines still not perfect but I'm the only one who will notice it anyways. I'm just going to learn to live with it.

I can't seem figure out where the issue of my trunk lid alignment is coming from.

The left side of the trunk lid sits more inset/inward by maybe 1/4 of an inch and the gap is about 1/4 wider. The right side is almost touching the bumper (almost too close for my liking, honestly).

I've tried adjusting the rubber adjustment knobs but that only seems to fix the gap at the bottom and then it throws the actual trunk panel off. I looked at the bolts, but I don't believe that is going to fix this issue either... but maybe that's it?

The nearest service center said "it's within spec, bro" which is why I am coming here for help for any DIY tips and advice. Maybe I just take it to a body shop and pay for it at this point? Should I try the service center again and tell them I'll pay for it even if it is "within spec"?

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice here. I looked at pictures of the 2021 I test drove and it didn't have this problem, so it must be something that can be adjusted.

View attachment 661087
I had a similar issue, trunk was hitting passenger side bumper. Turns out the bumper wasn’t installed correctly. They fix that portion pretty quick. Also, the skirt seal was installed behind the bumper…

Reactions: ilikemypizza
When I had service take a look a few weeks ago, they had my trunk realigned (I messed with the hinge bolts and messed it up). Unfortunately, that gap still persists. It's just something I'll have to live with. I might try moving the trunk latch and see if that has any impact. But I don't think the issue is at the hinge like I originally thought. Im really not sure what would cause that to happen when everything else seems to be aligned. Maybe my bumper? But it seems fine looking at it

My 2019 3 LR has generous but acceptable gaps all round. To test yours, get a small soft-cover booklet of 24 to 32 pages (12 to 16 leaves) and slide into as many gaps as you can. If gaps are no closer than 16 to 20 pages, leave well alone, especially if the weather-sealing is good.

Just giving an update - I was able to get it much much better to a point where it won't bother me anymore. I slightly adjusted the latch plate and added a plastic spacer on the right side of the trunk to make the gap even. At least it looks symmetrical now lol

View attachment 687822
I'm having the exact same issue. Passenger side trunk is too far inward, actually rubbing on the bumper since the bumper goes "up", causing a small mark. I had Tesla SC adjust it once, but now there is a bigger gap up by the C pillar, and it still touches. Any chance you could post a picture of the latch plate and spacer you're referring to? Also if you could show which bolts you adjusted, that would be very helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_1375.jpeg
    IMG_1375.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_1374.jpeg
    IMG_1374.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_1586.jpeg
    IMG_1586.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_1584.jpeg
    IMG_1584.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 641
I'm having the exact same issue. Passenger side trunk is too far inward, actually rubbing on the bumper since the bumper goes "up", causing a small mark. I had Tesla SC adjust it once, but now there is a bigger gap up by the C pillar, and it still touches. Any chance you could post a picture of the latch plate and spacer you're referring to? Also if you could show which bolts you adjusted, that would be very helpful.
Honestly, you might just want to live with it. Yours isn't bad.. although the one pic seems pretty off (IMG_1584).

Theres a few points of adjustment but I recommend getting a buddy to help hold things in place. Two bolts on each hinge of the trunk. There are also rubber gaskets you can twist and turn a bit. There are a few other good threads in this forum on that topic