Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 LR Model 3 - How do I fix this annoying trunk lid alignment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, you might just want to live with it. Yours isn't bad.. although the one pic seems pretty off (IMG_1584).

Theres a few points of adjustment but I recommend getting a buddy to help hold things in place. Two bolts on each hinge of the trunk. There are also rubber gaskets you can twist and turn a bit. There are a few other good threads in this forum on that topic
Honestly, you might just want to live with it. Yours isn't bad.. although the one pic seems pretty off (IMG_1584).

Theres a few points of adjustment but I recommend getting a buddy to help hold things in place. Two bolts on each hinge of the trunk. There are also rubber gaskets you can twist and turn a bit. There are a few other good threads in this forum on that topic
Can you post pictures of the latch you adjusted? Have same issue.

I had the same problem with mine. I took it into the service center and they agreed there was an unacceptable gap and made some adjustments. I hadn't used my trunk in a while but when I did and tried to drive off, I had an alarm that my trunk was open. I pushed the trunk back in thinking nothing was wrong but when I had to open the trunk again, the arm started scraping against the frame. The trunk wouldn’t close properly anymore and I had to pull the trunk down by force to get it to close. It seems in an attempt to fix the gap, they made the tolerance too tight causing the rubbing. Took it in last week and they said it would need body work since the paint is scraped off and the metalwork is bent so it’s getting fixed right now. Long story short, sometimes the cure is worse than the symptom. The gap wasn’t bothering me that much so maybe I shouldn’t have had it looked it. Still, I can understand if it bothers you especially when you spent so much on the car.

View attachment 672008View attachment 672009View attachment 672010
This is a while back, but this exact problem just happened with my '21 M3 SR+. Did you end up having the repair work done? I'm wondering if they will be replacing the trunk lid and glass since the estimate calls for "Correction: Exterior Component/Panel/Glass Adjustment" and touch-up paint.

I had a gap as well and managed to make it better (or worse, cuz I tried many time) by touching the 2 bolts on the side and then moving the trunk. It's hard to explain but when you untight the lower bolt, your trunk should immediately fall of few milimeter, you'll see paint mark where the piece was actually sitting before. Then you untight the one one top, after that you need to move it back into place and play with that for a while... It took me many tries to make it better. Lesson learned is that you have to push quite a lot, apply pressure with your shoulder and tighten the bolt again.