Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 LR not getting 250 kw at V3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you know ?

This, how do you know the "battery was warm"? Its not "because I live in san diego and its not that cold here" btw. I live in temecula and work in North County, and my car is parked in a fully drywalled garage at home, with insulated garage doors, that never goes below 50 degrees.

My commute is 35 miles from home to work, and it takes at least 20 miles driven at 80 MPH on the freeway for the regen dots to go fully away.

TL ; DR, unless you were monitoring battery heat with something like scan my tesla or something, you dont know if the battery was warm enough to take the max supercharging rate before you started hitting the tapering curve.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
This, how do you know the "battery was warm"? Its not "because I live in san diego and its not that cold here" btw. I live in temecula and work in North County, and my car is parked in a fully drywalled garage at home, with insulated garage doors, that never goes below 50 degrees.

My commute is 35 miles from home to work, and it takes at least 20 miles driven at 80 MPH on the freeway for the regen dots to go fully away.

TL ; DR, unless you were monitoring battery heat with something like scan my tesla or something, you dont know if the battery was warm enough to take the max supercharging rate before you started hitting the tapering curve.

Yeah, this is why we navigate to Superchargers, so the car knows to 'pre-condition' the battery. I know where my local Supercharger is, but I always navigate there for precisely that reason. OP may or may not be aware of this.

Hmm I guess I dont know. But I drove ~20 min for freeway before charging, outside temperature 50~60 F, and I didn't see a pre-condition message.
The battery doesn't heat up nearly as quickly as an ICE car, even with the On Route Battery Warmup feature.

There's anecdotal evidence that ORBW won't activate if the predicted SOC at arrival is <20%.

Bottomline, your battery was not warm enough. It needs to be above 40 C (104 F) to get near 250 kW and a little driving, especially without ORBW active, won't heat the battery enough in mild or colder temperatures.

Was it for sure a V3 charger?

V3 Chargers are very easy to determine; you look in the Supercharger screen in the Tesla, and the cables on the 250kW Superchargers are quite thin and light (they are liquid cooled).

because I live in san diego and its not that cold here

Exactly. And if the car is parked outside and the OP lives in a valley, it could easily approach freezing in the morning this time of year, especially when there is no cloud cover.

Battery was warm, no other cars charging, SOC was 10%.

Which Supercharger, BTW? Chula Vista?

As has been mentioned, unless you've been doing a long freeway run in hot temperatures, it's hard to get the battery warm enough to accept 250kW.

For example, I drove for three hours in 70-80 degree temperatures at 80mph over the summer up the Central Valley. The car still pre-conditioned the battery prior to pulling into the 250kW Supercharger in Kettleman. It is a very large mass, and it has to be quite warm to Supercharge at max rate, even at low SoC. I did get 250kW on that occasion, but on my return trip I had a cool overnight stop and the first charge of the day was slower even though ambient temps at the Supercharger were in the 80s.

That being said, for 2021, it is possible that they are being conservative -if the cells in your car are of the new type (I don't think they are if you've got an AWD non-P, but we don't know that), they could be more careful, etc. I think we've already seen reports of over 180kW on 2021 LR AWD though, so I don't think it's that.

Sooo.... just for fun I thought I'd do the math on how much wire it takes to move 250KW. Turns out its a LOT. Clearly these superchargers aren't being fed by 240 VAC, but if they were and you wanted to get 250kw out of a 50 foot run of wire, it'd be TWO pairs of inch diameter copper.

I never really did the math before, but if you jacked the voltage up and current down by a factor of ten, its a MUCH more manageable single 1AWG wire(that's rated to run 2400V 24x7, of course!)

Bjorn did a 700km roadtrip this weekend with a 2021 LR and it looks like it charges slower than the old version, even if the battery is fully warmed up. You can watch his live-stream if you want details, but I'm sure he'll upload a video about it soon.

It might be caution with the new "non-panasonic" cells in some of the cars. There is a way to figure out, which cells are in your car. I'll try to find it again.

Most likely, though, your battery was not warm.

Bjorn did a 700km roadtrip this weekend with a 2021 LR and it looks like it charges slower than the old version, even if the battery is fully warmed up. You can watch his live-stream if you want details, but I'm sure he'll upload a video about it soon.

It might be caution with the new "non-panasonic" cells in some of the cars. There is a way to figure out, which cells are in your car. I'll try to find it again.

Most likely, though, your battery was not warm.

All US cars are made in the US using the Tesla/Panasonic batteries. European cars are now a mix, some from the U.S., some from China. If you got a Tesla built in China, it will have the lower end battery chemistry and people are finding out that the charge rate is REALLY slow.

Tesla's China-made Model 3 battery charges slower and has shorter lifespan, say reports

But this doesn't apply to the OP. Must not be a v3 Supercharger station he went to.

All US cars are made in the US using the Tesla/Panasonic batteries. European cars are now a mix, some from the U.S., some from China. If you got a Tesla built in China, it will have the lower end battery chemistry and people are finding out that the charge rate is REALLY slow.

Tesla's China-made Model 3 battery charges slower and has shorter lifespan, say reports

But this doesn't apply to the OP. Must not be a v3 Supercharger station he went to.

Don't think that is quite accurate. In Europe I believe only SR+'s with LFP batteries are coming from China. The LR AWD's are still coming from the US. Didn't we just see an article that China is only now starting to plan to make dual motor Model 3's.

Imagine my surprise the time I unwittingly pulled up to a 72kw urban 'SC' thinking it was a real SC.

Reactions: phluppsen

All LR in Europe come from the US. Only the SR+ are made in China. The LR come in 2 variants at the moment. Some with Panasonic, some with LG Chem cells.

Reactions: MP3Mike
All LR in Europe come from the US. Only the SR+ are made in China. The LR come in 2 variants at the moment. Some with Panasonic, some with LG Chem cells.

LG Chem cells are in cars made in China...

The Shanghai factory makes cars with either CATL or LG Chem cells in them. The US factory does not use LG Chem batteries.