Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 LR not getting 250 kw at V3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is an emerging suspicion (far from proven to date) that LG cells are part of the explanation for battery fires in the Chevy Bolt and Hyundai Kona. I wonder what Tesla thinks.

It's not suspicion. The recalled Bolts and Kona have LG Chem batteries in them. However, whatever issues that showed up in the bolts and Konas might not affect the Model 3s (from China) because the manufacturing and design is different even though the battery chemistry are the same.

It's not suspicion. The recalled Bolts and Kona have LG Chem batteries in them. However, whatever issues that showed up in the bolts and Konas might not affect the Model 3s (from China) because the manufacturing and design is different even though the battery chemistry are the same.
I know LG cells are in those packs. The (as yet unproven) suspicion is that the LG cells have a manufacturing defect

Huh? It's fact?

The Fremont plant in California uses batteries from the Nevada Gigafactory, which is a Tesla/Panasonic plant.

All initial built in China Model 3s from Giga-Shanghai uses LG Chem batteries.
Tesla secures more batteries from LG Chem, says report - Electrek
Which also quotes:
“South Korea’s LG Chem Ltd plans to start producing batteries for Tesla Inc vehicles at a domestic factory this year after the U.S. electric carmaker raised orders to cope with demand, a person familiar with the matter said on Friday.”

And we're seeing two different battery types in LR AWDs delivered in Europe, cars that are made in Freemont.

Sooo.... just for fun I thought I'd do the math on how much wire it takes to move 250KW. Turns out its a LOT. Clearly these superchargers aren't being fed by 240 VAC, but if they were and you wanted to get 250kw out of a 50 foot run of wire, it'd be TWO pairs of inch diameter copper.

I never really did the math before, but if you jacked the voltage up and current down by a factor of ten, its a MUCH more manageable single 1AWG wire(that's rated to run 2400V 24x7, of course!)

It's well known that Tesla Superchargers take 480V 3 phase as the input. The diameter of wire probably isn't nearly as thick as you think. I'd suspect that they would be using 400 MCM wire, as that's about right for 250kW. 400 MCM wire is ~0.6in thick, if it were solid copper (it's always 'stranded' at this thickness, so diameter will be a bit bigger).

Which also quotes:
“South Korea’s LG Chem Ltd plans to start producing batteries for Tesla Inc vehicles at a domestic factory this year after the U.S. electric carmaker raised orders to cope with demand, a person familiar with the matter said on Friday.”

And we're seeing two different battery types in LR AWDs delivered in Europe, cars that are made in Freemont.

You people always have to argue for no reason yet provide no evidence.

Asian suppliers' stocks slip on Tesla's cheaper battery plan.

"Tesla currently produces batteries in partnership with Panasonic at its Nevada factory, while LG Chem and CATL supply cells to its Shanghai factory."

• Disagree
Reactions: transpondster
P2.jpg
P3.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
8E694E63-168A-4229-B48D-BAD351E3FE51.jpeg
On the AC side the V3 chargers should be fed from 480 V AC and after rectification should spit out more than 700 A at 350 V DC nominal on the battery pack at 250 kW. To give you an idea, this is a 1100 kcmil 25 kV rated cable in the picture. It is rated for about 650 A give or take and it is typically used in underground electric distribution feeder. That means the cable would need to be huge, as shown in the picture, and would be unmanageable and heavy: a 25 inch section of this 2 inch diameter cable weighs almost 5 lbs! That’s where the liquid cooling comes in. You can run much higher current without needing to use a massive conductor.

You people always have to argue for no reason yet provide no evidence.

Asian suppliers' stocks slip on Tesla's cheaper battery plan.

"Tesla currently produces batteries in partnership with Panasonic at its Nevada factory, while LG Chem and CATL supply cells to its Shanghai factory."
This started with you claiming Tesla doesn't use LG in US production.
When I challenged you on that knowledge, you posted a link to an article.
I quoted that article where it said LG would start producing batteries domestically within the year (which, you know, we are in).
And now you're posting an almost 3 month old article from yahoo news?

So, even though YOU were the first one to make an assertion without proof, here is my proof:
MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

Reactions: transpondster