Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 LR Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my LR Y a few weeks ago and am still figuring it all out. I have driven the 130 miles between houses in MA and NH twice and it takes 50 percent of the battery to make the trip. So it seems like I am getting around 260 on a 100 percent charge, nowhere near the 326 on the sticker, which is disappointing to say the least. I am driving rather conservatively, 70 mph maximum. Am I missing something or calculating the maximum range incorrectly?

I got my LR Y a few weeks ago and am still figuring it all out. I have driven the 130 miles between houses in MA and NH twice and it takes 50 percent of the battery to make the trip. So it seems like I am getting around 260 on a 100 percent charge, nowhere near the 326 on the sticker, which is disappointing to say the least. I am driving rather conservatively, 70 mph maximum. Am I missing something or calculating the maximum range incorrectly?
If you want Tesla’s fully rated range, drive 50mph on an entirely flat road with an outside ambient temp of around 72 degrees, with no climate controls on.

Other than that, I would say your range is to be expected. If you think it’s bad now, wait until winter rolls around. Cut whatever you are getting now in half.

Your results are as expected for highway driving at ~70 MPH. Next time try limiting your speed to ~65 MPH and you will see a noticeable improvement, even more if you can be happy driving at 62 MPH.

Limit the use of heat and air conditioning. Set the HVAC to recirculate the cabin air (but don't forget to turn this off later when you arrive) so the AC does not have to work as hard to cool the cabin.
Keep tires inflated to the recommended 42 PSI or even a few lbs higher.
Keep the vehicle clean as it does help with aero efficiency.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
What you should be tracking is Watt hours per mile. (At the bottom of the driving display if you swipe right you will see your watt hours per mile for the current trip, since last charge, as well as Trip A and Trip B).

I've had my Model Y LR for two months (and 5,600 miles - I love driving that car). Most of my highway driving (in MI, OH, PA, MD, VA) had been at around 270 Wh/mi. That's averaging 75 mph with cruise/Autopilot.

If I have a bicycle on the bike rack, that jumps to 350 Wh/mi (still at 75 mph). When I hauled a 6x12 solid UHaul trailer it jumps to around 450 Wh/mi. And when hauling the trailer I kept the speed at 55 mph. Wind resistance is a powerful force, even with just a single bike in the rack.

Assuming there is 72.5kWh usable in the battery, that works out to about 270 miles of range clean, 200 miles with a bike, and 160 miles driving at 55 mph with a trailer.

In practice on the road I tend to top off at 80% and stop for recharge around 25%, which works out to about every 2 1/2 hours (my bladder has limits). So far range has not been a problem. East of the Mississippi there are plenty of Superchargers.

As for NH, I can't wait to get up there sometime and trek up Mt Washington. I can't even begin to imagine what regenerative braking would be like on the way down.

Reactions: rjpjnk
IMG_3490.jpg

2021 with 8K mi @ 100%

What you should be tracking is Watt hours per mile. (At the bottom of the driving display if you swipe right you will see your watt hours per mile for the current trip, since last charge, as well as Trip A and Trip B).

I've had my Model Y LR for two months (and 5,600 miles - I love driving that car). Most of my highway driving (in MI, OH, PA, MD, VA) had been at around 270 Wh/mi. That's averaging 75 mph with cruise/Autopilot.

If I have a bicycle on the bike rack, that jumps to 350 Wh/mi (still at 75 mph). When I hauled a 6x12 solid UHaul trailer it jumps to around 450 Wh/mi. And when hauling the trailer I kept the speed at 55 mph. Wind resistance is a powerful force, even with just a single bike in the rack.

Assuming there is 72.5kWh usable in the battery, that works out to about 270 miles of range clean, 200 miles with a bike, and 160 miles driving at 55 mph with a trailer.

In practice on the road I tend to top off at 80% and stop for recharge around 25%, which works out to about every 2 1/2 hours (my bladder has limits). So far range has not been a problem. East of the Mississippi there are plenty of Superchargers.

As for NH, I can't wait to get up there sometime and trek up Mt Washington. I can't even begin to imagine what regenerative braking would be like on the way down.
great info here. thanks!

I just drove my 2018 model 3 LR(awd,46k) from central VT down to tesla in Paramus NJ to trade in and get an Y LR Long range.

It’s all wh/mi. The 3 used more power, about 120% of a battery.
The Y made it all the way back using 86% of the battery.

Lots more autopilot on the way home as I didn’t have it previously.

Very impressive given the size difference of the two cars.