Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 M3 LR failed @ 168 miles [rear drive unit inverter failure]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi , I’ve had my M3 LR 2021 for 1 week. (168 miles) Pulled off my driveway today after 50 ft car juddered and message “Rear motor disabled pull over. “ car stopped and would not move . It is getting recovered today but sounds like problem with rear drive unit . Anyone familiar with this ?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: OUengineer
This just happened to our 2022 M3 SR+. Went turtle mode on the freeway with the family in it including a toddler and infant but was lucky to be able to pull it over to the side.
Tesla SC said they have ordered a new drive inverter but is on parts hold.
i think as TLTesler said, i don't think i will be comfortable driving this car and they should replace it, however long the wait.

Upvote 0
Happened to our brand new 2022 M3 last week. We had it for 5 days. My wife was driving on the HW when the car told her to pull over. It let her start it and she tried to drive to the service center and it went turtle mode with nowhere to pull over.
My wife called me in a panic the first time she got told to pull over. She called me again in the midst of a full blown panic attack when she was pulled over on a busy road with cars honking and trying to drive around her while she was stuck on the side of the road.
At first, they said rear inverter issue and we are getting the latest inverter revision since the older one had known issues. Our brand new car was apparently built during the transition period so we got unlucky with ours having the old inverter.
We told them we want a new car; why do we want a 5 day old car that already has work done to it.
They replaced the inverter and tried doing some FW/Diagnostics stuff to the car and were having issues. Next thing you know, the whole rear drive train has to get replaced.
We told them we want a new car; why do we want a 5 day old car that already needs it’s rear drive train replaced and needs any form of work done. Let’s see what happens.

The strangest part is that the service person mentioned seeing a TON of these issues; thousands were his words. If there were a ton of these issues seen in a single service center; there should be a ton at all the service centers. I don’t see anything really mentioning these faulty inverters anywhere on the internet.

If y’all are getting Model 3s soon or already have a model three, ask which revision your inverter is and make sure it’s the latest. There is no sense driving around with faulty hardware as a safety risk.

Upvote 0
I'm still waiting to get the repair ticket info.

After over a week of back and forth, Tesla is doing a full buyback of our 5-day old car. They cannot directly replace it due to the backorders, so we'll be without the car until we get a new one.
Tesla has agreed to honor the original price of the car since the price has gone up since we purchased it.

Overall, I don't feel great about the experience so far.
I just had the drive unit inverter failure 1 week ago, and had the car towed. I am still waiting for the part to be replaced, really bad experience. I wish Tesla will buy back my 2- month old car. VIN last 6 digit: 362078.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
Same issue here on 2022 M3 LR with 3k miles. See article below and attached recall from China, this is verbatim to my experience.

Upvote 0
After over a week of back and forth, Tesla is doing a full buyback of our 5-day old car. They cannot directly replace it due to the backorders, so we'll be without the car until we get a new one.
Tesla has agreed to honor the original price of the car since the price has gone up since we purchased it.

Overall, I don't feel great about the experience so far.
Not to diminish the issue but if this had been virtually any other manufacturer of EVs, you would be screwed. At least Tesla is mostly doing the right thing by the buy back and keeping the original price. They should be supplying a rental or loaner but it is what it is.. Ford, GM, etc would have blown you off and just said "waiting for parts" however long that is. And they can "legally" do that because it's just the opening move for a lemon law to take effect. It sucks that it happened.. but keep in mind you are getting a new car vs keeping a suspect car with whatever else might be lurking.. They could easily make the argument that its a one shot issue and here is your "fixed" car and they would be well within the law to do that. Congrats on getting that deal.. DId they give any ETA as to when you get a replacement?

Upvote 0
Same thing happened to mine today. 1 day old 2023 RWDModel3. 40 miles on the odometer in heavy freeway traffic. My daughter with me. It was a scary experience. I made a formal complaint to the NHTSA. Pure negligence on Teslas part. Ive bought many cars in my life and none have failed catastrophically on the highway like this. Especially a brand new car. I hope more people step up and make formal complaints. Someone is gonna get seriously injured or killed in this situation really soon.

Upvote 0
I had my 2023 for 8 days (803 miles) and it failed in the middle of a busy intersection. Harrowing experience. Had it towed to nearest Tesla service center in Texas and they’ve had it for 9 days. I’m picking it up tomorrow. They replaced the rear drive inverter. I sure hope that never happens again, it was an awful experience not being able to get out of the intersection! I will say they were friendly and gave me a loaner but not something I expected from a brand new car that “never breaks.”

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Upvote 0
I had my 2023 for 8 days (803 miles) and it failed in the middle of a busy intersection. Harrowing experience. Had it towed to nearest Tesla service center in Texas and they’ve had it for 9 days. I’m picking it up tomorrow. They replaced the rear drive inverter. I sure hope that never happens again, it was an awful experience not being able to get out of the intersection! I will say they were friendly and gave me a loaner but not something I expected from a brand new car that “never breaks.”
theres no perfect car out there that "never breaks"

• Disagree
Upvote 0
you never know though, it can be any car that may do that. Plus it's a rare occasion that tesla will do this as well. He just happens to be that small percentage.

I mean it was enough cases that they issued a recall for the Chinese market. It's still happening in the US with 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 models. I could understand if there were a certain bracket of years/parts but the fact that its STILL happening on brand spanking new 2023s suggests a deeper problem. It may be random coincidental, but enough to be of note for all Model 3 owners - something to BOLO.

Upvote 0
I mean it was enough cases that they issued a recall for the Chinese market. It's still happening in the US with 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 models. I could understand if there were a certain bracket of years/parts but the fact that its STILL happening on brand spanking new 2023s suggests a deeper problem. It may be random coincidental, but enough to be of note for all Model 3 owners - something to BOLO.
yeah pretty crazy with those years, i don't know if theres a difference for 2018 since thats what i have

Upvote 0
From the anecdotal accounts on the forums, the occurrences seemed to have picked up pace from the 2021 models and onwards. The earliest years did have teething issues with the inverters which have improved over time.

We also have to consider the fact that there have been many more cars shipped over time so seeing more issues aren't necessarily indicative of a widespread problem.

Still, it's hard to ignore the recent uptick. Mr Musk, are you reading?

Upvote 0
Not a Model 3, but my 2023 Model S LR with only 5K miles just catastrophically failed, and I am pissed about it. It's a new $100K car, and like others have said on here, I have own so many cars over the last 40 years, and there have been plenty of repairs needed as they became old cars, but literally none of them left me stranded on the side of the road.

In my case, the rear inverter failed and blew the pyro fuse. It sounds like a gun shot going off inside the bowels of the car, because it is basically a gun shot going off, to cut all high voltage power from the battery to any part of the car.

Why I am so angry? Because I got stranded on the side of the road at midnight? Because Tesla sent the wrong tow truck the first time that couldn't tow a bricked car even though Roadside support knew the situation, and then when I called back they tried to get me to pay for the correct tow truck? Yeah, sure, I am ticked about those things big time.

But what really ticks me off is being an electrical engineer and a lifelong car nut, so I realize that Tesla made some very pathetic and dangerous design issues to save a few pennies at the expense of our, and our family's, safety.

I have 2 drive units, so if one drive unit goes bad, I should be able to continue on the good one. But Tesla made the decision to blow the main high voltage battery fuse when one of the drive units goes bad. Could they have separated out the circuits? Sure. If you run a space heater and a hair dryer on the same outlet in your house, you don't blow the breaker for the power to the entire neighborhood. Same concept applies. But 1 breaker is cheaper than 2, right?

When the HV battery is disconnected, you will not only not able to drive, but your cozy little life support capsule will die very soon running off the low voltage battery. Within a matter of time, you won't have any A/C, you won't be able to charge your phone, won't be able to look at the manual on the screen to see how to handle a breakdown, you won't be able to open any doors, open any windows, trunks, gloveboxes, you won't have any lights inside or outside, including the safety hazard lights so you don't get rear ended, and you won't be able to put the car in tow mode.

Then Tesla made another incredibly bonehead decision to save themselves a few dollars. They got rid of the lead acid battery because they couldn't figure out how to design a charging circuit for it that doesn't cause the batteries to fail prematurely after only a couple of years, instead of 4-7 years like ICE cars. So they replaced the lead acid with a lithium ion battery. Sounds great? Yeah, not until you realize that this amazing new battery has about 1/7 the capacity of the lead acid battery. What does that mean? Now instead of having a couple of hours of power to critical safety systems, like the hazard lights, and functionality such as tow mode, you have around 10-15 mins. By the way, the lithium batteries can and do fail, but instead of $85 for the lead acid battery, that pathetic little battery that is pretty useless, will cost you $200 out of warranty.

When was the last time you called a tow truck for a breakdown and they showed up in 10-15 mins? If there's an accident on the freeway, there's a dozen of them lined up before 1st responders even get there, but for a breakdown, you're doing really well if it's 2 hours, and probably a lot longer, especially if you are far out of town and/or at night.

So be ready for your inverter failure. You have to hope you can pull over safely where ever it decides to happen, and you have 10-15 mins to collect your thoughts and execute everything you need to do to survive that breakdown in whatever situation Tesla put you in before the entire car goes dark.

And if you own a rear drive Model 3, you are the smart one here. You statistically have the least chance of being left stranded. Did you spend more money with Tesla for a dual motor? Well, you screw yourself. You doubled your chances of being left stranded, when you probably thought you were buying fool-proof redundancy. I mean, what's the likelihood of both motors failing at the exact same time, right? Yes, it's next to nil. But if you paid the big bucks for a tri-motor Model S/X, you now have 3 times the chance to be left stranded than the cheapest Tesla. And if they make a 4 motor Cybertruck, you must have a death wish to buy it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0