Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 M3 LR Rocker Panel Paint Peeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the same issue on my 2020 M3 SR+. Car is 7 months old, contacted TSC and this is the response I got. Very disappointed...

Ok, service just got back to me. They said it will not be covered under warranty because it had to of been reported within 100 miles of vehicle delivery and your car has over 16000 miles on it.

I just asked service and they sent me this link to send to you and said go to page 9 Warranty Limitations, 6th bullet point down

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Just had my Midnight Silver M3 (2021 refresh model in Dec 2020) washed and discovered with horror the paint has peeled all along the passenger side Rocker Panel. Are you pleased with what they have done to repair yours? Have they resprayed both sides of your car? If not, are you not concerned it's just a matter of time before the other side starts to peel too?
Hey,

Yes, they repaired both sides of the car as it had began to happen on both sides.

Few months on and no issues with the new paint.

Cheers

Took delivery of my 2021 model 3 SR+ about 2 weeks ago. Have a little over 1k miles and noticed today that the paint on the rocker under the rear passenger door is peeling. Took pictures and contacted service waiting for reply. Also noticed on the opposite rear driver side same area paint is starting to wrinkle. Will keep you guys updated.

Took delivery of my 2021 model 3 SR+ about 2 weeks ago. Have a little over 1k miles and noticed today that the paint on the rocker under the rear passenger door is peeling. Took pictures and contacted service waiting for reply. Also noticed on the opposite rear driver side same area paint is starting to wrinkle. Will keep you guys updated.
Wow, sorry to hear about. I would suggest, once the problem is fixed, to ppf your rockers.
But it certainly not normal to have paint issue with this mileage specially at this time of the year (no salt).

Wow, sorry to hear about. I would suggest, once the problem is fixed, to ppf your rockers.
But it certainly not normal to have paint issue with this mileage specially at this time of the year (no salt).
That’s exactly what I was thinking. Weather has been almost perfect. I’m definitely going to look into ppf like you suggested. Almost had a heart attack when I seen it haha then I seen this is a more common issue for others. Not that it’sa good thing others have gone through it, but it’s good to see that I don’t do anything to cause it being the nicest new car I’ve ever had I’ve only hand washed it maybe 2 times.

Reviving old thread, this just happened to me while washing the car… 2022 Model 3 Performance with less than 7,000 miles.
78FD1024-BBB7-4666-A298-B12411AEFA78.jpeg

I used the Tesbros rocker panel ppt kit on my car and am impressed with the increased protection for the money. It should be done from the factory along with mud flaps IMO but oh well. I'm sure there are other kits as well. Pretty easy to do although the rocker kit is a little complicated as the ppf pieces are so long.

I used the Tesbros rocker panel ppt kit on my car and am impressed with the increased protection for the money. It should be done from the factory along with mud flaps IMO but oh well. I'm sure there are other kits as well. Pretty easy to do although the rocker kit is a little complicated as the ppf pieces are so long.
Yeah, it is easy to install, but I am not a fan of PPF. The paint just does not look like OEM and over time the films tend to yellow/discolor as well as hold grind and dust on the edges.

One thing is to get PPF to prevent rock chips on perfectly fine paint, another thing is to put PPF to prevent faulty paint from falling off. Also, if the paint is truly faulty, then imagine the danger of the paint chipping when it comes time to remove the PPF.