Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 M3 powered boot closure behaviour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cardo

Sep 22, 2020
Surrey, UK
Dear hive mind,

I think this has already been covered, however my admittedly brief searching didn’t throw up any obvious results.

I have a March 2021 M3 with powered boot. When I first got it, I’m sure when the boot closed it would slow down as it was about to close, then gently latched. These days, the boot closes in one motion, with no gentle final closing movement. I wouldn’t describe it as slamming, as the closing movement is still somewhat moderated, however it behaves more as if I were closing it by hand. I just want to make sure this is normal, and it’s not a symptom of a failure?

Thanks!

Reactions: hcdavis3
From what I’ve experienced it depends on the temperature, if it’s warm it opens and closes very quietly but if it’s cold then it moves slower and the motor sounds a little more strained. It has always ‘slammed’ shut rather than lowering gently in to the closed position and then the catch pulling it shut.

If it's changed I'd suggest it's not normal. I don't think this is the first time I've heard someone reporting a change in behaviour.

There's a video on this thread of someone asking whether theirs sounds ok - maybe it would be useful as a comparison.
Funnily enough, there’s a bunch of my own posts on that thread. So the latching noise that is heard on the video, which mine used to do, no longer happens. The boot just “slams” closed and that’s it. I think it’s the lack of latching noise that’s throwing me off.

Oops, missed that you'd contributed to that thread :)

I assume it's locked and you can't open it once it's dropped down?
Yeah, it locks and seems correct. It’s just the fact it’s stopped making the latching noise that’s thrown me off.

As it happens, I was down at the SC for a different issue today, and asked them to have a look. It behaves the same as the other models they had there, so working as expected.

Reactions: Durzel
Had mine since end of March. It has always slammed shut, but I found recently that when the boot is full and the lid is tight against luggage, it closes softly and then pulls fully closed on the latch. So it must be some sort of adjustment that makes it do that.. which way though??

My 18-month old Model S had a similar issue last month. The final latching didn't. (There were other signs such as stopping sometimes each way but the fix got rid of those.)
I'm 240Km away from the nearest SC but happened to be going nearby and they arranged an appointment: as someone on a thread had suggested it was the "cinch latch motor" - the motor that pulls the lid to a tight close - and Tesla replaced it under warranty.
I would think it's a known issue.

I experienced the exact same thing a month or so ago. I thought my mind was playing tricks until I read a post on a Facebook group almost identical to yours and then someone else commented with the same thing. 2021 M3 LR (mines a Dec 20, but the Facebook posters were Q1 and Q2 2021). Both of the posters had reported to SC who pushed out something remotely to resume 'normal' operation. I've asked my SC to add this to a list of jobs next week too so can't advise directly on the outcome yet.

I experienced the exact same thing a month or so ago. I thought my mind was playing tricks until I read a post on a Facebook group almost identical to yours and then someone else commented with the same thing. 2021 M3 LR (mines a Dec 20, but the Facebook posters were Q1 and Q2 2021). Both of the posters had reported to SC who pushed out something remotely to resume 'normal' operation. I've asked my SC to add this to a list of jobs next week too so can't advise directly on the outcome yet.
Which is normal operation??

Mine definitely does the 2-step (soft close?) process - whether there are golf clubs challenging it or empty.

Seems to me that it would be an idea for people with the soft close function working properly to keep a video of the how it presently works so that if there is a change in the future it can be used as evidence with the Service Centre... showing that a single "hard close" is not normal operation and that you are entitled to some rectification.

So I just got home from work, shut the boot as normal and something didn't sound right.....I was sure it used to make a whirring sound after it shut but it didn't tonight. Tried it a few times and wondered if I was going nuts.

Searched the forum, found an old post from myself that included a video of how the boot used to sound as well as this thread.

So yeah, looks like mine is playing up also! One point I will note is that a couple times lately i've had things in the boot that have stopped the boot from closing all the way so i've had to give it a slight nudge down for the latch to catch.

Whenever i do that and then open the boot it beeps twice as it reaches the top, so I'm assuming its messing up how far it think it has to move.

Got a ranger booked for next week to finaly sort out my door trim so I think i'll get this added to the job.

Edit - just went out to record it not latching for the ticket....and of course, it closed "normally"

I'm still not convinced it doesn't bang down too hard, I'll see if I can catch the ranger when he shows up and just ask his opinion.

Reactions: Durzel
Just to add an update to this, mine is currently in the SC for a long list of issues (Dec 20 delivery car, yay!) but this boot close was something the service rep was aware of and had had another car in with the same issue recently (and they fixed it, she mentioned a sensor recalibration maybe). I confirmed for my own sanity that the demo M3 in the showroom stops/slows in the last inch of movement and then is 'clinched' shut. Definitely sounds different as stated above. Mine used to do this but now just 'slams' shut, although in my case I will admit, it is a well judged 'slam' which doesn't actually sound too bad and if the car had always done it I probably would never have questioned. Will update further when I get the car back.

Hopefully it's not "within spec".

I'd like to think that if there is a clinch process then it should be happening every time no matter how hard it does the initial latch. On my car with an aftermarket kit there were two settings, one of them (the default) slowed down at the end before latching, and then clinched it.

This is how mine works, for reference (second half of the video):

I assume the 2021 car is similar?

• Informative
Reactions: Billbrown1982