Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 M3 powered boot closure behaviour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Dec 20 M3 sr+, and this started happening to me too, about a week ago. Annoyingly, it now also doesn't open more than 1-2 inches, so it's pretty much manually opening, and it slamming shut automatically (with some force). Have booked it in for remote service 3rd Sept. Hopefully they can fix it. Recurring monthly trips to SC are getting a bit annoying now though (had lights, and aircon issues 2x).

I have a Dec 20 M3 sr+, and this started happening to me too, about a week ago. Annoyingly, it now also doesn't open more than 1-2 inches, so it's pretty much manually opening, and it slamming shut automatically (with some force). Have booked it in for remote service 3rd Sept. Hopefully they can fix it. Recurring monthly trips to SC are getting a bit annoying now though (had lights, and aircon issues 2x).
If its any consolation you are making those of us with a 2019 car with no power boot and no heat pump feel better 🙂

Reactions: Doudeau
Hopefully it's not "within spec".

I'd like to think that if there is a clinch process then it should be happening every time no matter how hard it does the initial latch. On my car with an aftermarket kit there were two settings, one of them (the default) slowed down at the end before latching, and then clinched it.

This is how mine works, for reference (second half of the video):

I assume the 2021 car is similar?
The 2021 powered boot close I used to experience is like the one in the second half of your video yes, if anything I would have said the clinch was even more seamless than yours, i.e. without the half second delay before clinching - which probably makes the issue harder to spot. When I dropped it off at the SC mine just slammed shut. The SC rep did comment mine sounded 'alright', apparently the other car they fixed it properly slammed shut, sounding very loud and expensive every time.

For me the issue was present every time. One day it closed perfectly every time. The next it didn't, every time. I'm still waiting to collect the car but the update just received says they've replaced the strut...? Will update here later this week/early next when I get the car back as they're still working on the various paint rectification issues and USB hub failure, having already fixed the hvac sensors for a second time, realigned the boot and rear bumper to stop contact and replaced boot strut since I dropped it off Friday last week. Fingers crossed this is my last visit for a long while! Ha!

Reactions: Durzel
Oh hahahahahahahahaahhaha

Yeah no...mine sounds NOTHING like that and, never has done.....not even close.

So....that frunk modification.....expensive? ;)

It's reasonably expensive, I paid $995 for both kits. The 2021 frunk kit you'd need is $549. I didn't get charged customs duty on it and it arrived very quickly. Here is the link to the same one I bought (albeit the Mark 3.0 version, for a MY2020 car) - Model 3 Electric Frunk - EVOffer (Tesla Offer)

Hansshow is cheaper. For advice & costs on fitting i'd speak to @Mr H :)

Well tech is here, says the boot is a little bit slammy, but as all the panels line up really nice he advises against messing with it for now. If its the strut then it will get progressively worse, at which point replacement will be the obvious solution.

Not sure if I feel reassured or not lol

Also, didn't realise that the wood trim that has been defective since day 1, means I'm getting a whole new door card fitted.

Doesn't really sound confidence inspiring, to be honest. Sounds like your usual "within spec" response :)

It gets better....after 6 months of waiting, they have turned up with a new door card, but not the actual bit of wooden trim that needed replacing because the technician didn't realise it came seperately lol....

Good old Tesla - never fail to disappoint

• Funny
Well tech is here, says the boot is a little bit slammy, but as all the panels line up really nice he advises against messing with it for now. If its the strut then it will get progressively worse, at which point replacement will be the obvious solution.

Not sure if I feel reassured or not lol

Also, didn't realise that the wood trim that has been defective since day 1, means I'm getting a whole new door card fitted.
I've seen several posts on a model 3 UK Facebook group describing the exact same issue with follow ups that SC fixed them so I'm confident what we/I'm describing is a 'thing', rather than 'within spec'... ho hum

• Informative
Question on this: I have now booked my boot repair service for 3 Sept. Today I received an estimate via the app (c 145 quid), and the invoice states "customer pays". In my mind a broken boot in a 6 month old car is totally a warranty situation. Is that invoice standard procedure? It asks me to approve it... whcih I am not inclinded to do. Annoyingly there's no contact number or anything else to reply to them.
Any advice?

Question on this: I have now booked my boot repair service for 3 Sept. Today I received an estimate via the app (c 145 quid), and the invoice states "customer pays". In my mind a broken boot in a 6 month old car is totally a warranty situation. Is that invoice standard procedure? It asks me to approve it... whcih I am not inclinded to do. Annoyingly there's no contact number or anything else to reply to them.
Any advice?
Seems to depend on the service centre. When I’ve arranged service appointments it’s come up as £0.

Any advice?
Exactly the same as mine the other week.

The girl at the desk never even mentioned money, I just walked straight out.

If it's under warranty you won't have any issues, just their service system via the app that shows the cost regardless.