Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 M3 RWD or 2019 M3 AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know, I hate these questions...I'm sorry in advance.

Just contemplating. I can pick up a 2021 M3 RWD or a 2019 AWD. I can't swing a 2021 AWD.

I hate buying new because I know realistically I only keep cars for 2-3 years.

If I buy the 2019, it's direct from Tesla, so it comes with the extra year/10k warranty which puts the 2019 almost on par warranty-wise.

Not overly concerned with range since I normally drive to/from NYC which is about 15 miles (and up to 2 hours!) each way. I just really love the power of the AWD. And I've had AWD cars for years (mostly Audio Quattros, with a subaru, and a Model S 75D thrown in over the years).

No replacement for displa.....never mind.

AWD has bigger battery and heat pump can’t make up for that.

Depends on the degradation. The sr is more efficient and has a slightly bigger battery with the refresh (was it 58kwh or 60kwh?) and the heat pump. So in colder climates you might have more range than an old awd with like 10% degradation which isnt uncommon

Reactions: Ron_M3
Depends on the degradation. The sr is more efficient and has a slightly bigger battery with the refresh (was it 58kwh or 60kwh?) and the heat pump. So in colder climates you might have more range than an old awd with like 10% degradation which isnt uncommon

A 2019 LR AWD is still going to be in the 280-290 rated mile range, with a real interstate (70-80mph) range of 200miles @ roughly 320 Wh/mi with usable 65 kWh.

Unless these 2021 SR+ Model 3s are consuming less than 270 Wh/mi @ 70-80mph with a usable 55 kWh, no way it has more range, even with a heat pump. What happens in 9months when it’s at 5-10% degradation?

My 2019 SR+ could never get below 270 Wh/mi in the summer at interstate speeds.

And don’t forget the supercharging profile of the LR AWD.

A 2019 LR AWD is still going to be in the 280-290 rated mile range, with a real interstate (70-80mph) range of 200miles @ roughly 320 Wh/mi with usable 65 kWh.

Unless these 2021 SR+ Model 3s are consuming less than 270 Wh/mi @ 70-80mph with a usable 55 kWh, no way it has more range, even with a heat pump. What happens in 9months when it’s at 5-10% degradation?

the SR+ has now iron batteries. they are likely to to experience less degradation than the old ones and can be cycled much harder. in fact it is recommended to charge to 100% infrequently.

But having an AWD with lets say 280 rated mile range (not uncommon) has to compare itself to a new SR+ with 260 miles rated range.
I know the SR+ will get SOME degradation but its also 15-20% more efficient than the AWD. So with the heat pump you may even see slightly better results or the same.

Also you have longer warranty, a newer car, more resale value etc.

That said, I did write above I would get the AWD. But thats for other reasons i.e. premium interior etc.

I have a 2018 LR AWD with 33k miles and my range still sits at between 297-300 miles on those rare occasions I fully-charge. But freeway driving brings me down to about 220-240 miles, but I would undoubtedly go LR AWD because of the power and capability, to answer the OP’s question.

the SR+ has now iron batteries. they are likely to to experience less degradation than the old ones and can be cycled much harder. in fact it is recommended to charge to 100% infrequently.
Aren’t the LFP batteries for SR+ in China and Europe only right now? US made cars are still running NCA for all versions of the model 3.

I could be wrong, but that was my recollection.

Reactions: GSP
Made up my mind.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-07 150329.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-02-07 150329.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 134