Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 M3P new owner. Need advice on tires spec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just keep in mind the range loss is more due to tire width than diameter or even weight of the wheel. Your greatest impact is in friction from the tire. So even a 235 OEM size tire but in a very sticky compound will result in range loss. If you want to retain as much range as possible you need to use Tesla spec tire which is limiting.

With that said if you want to stick to a 235 TO spec tire which is wider than most 235's ~ a 245 then you can run a 19x9 wheel in a +25 to +30 offset. There's just so many things that can affect range. Wheel design, distance to fender, tire compound, tire width, diameter of wheel, and so on. It can get really frustrating. The easiest solution is to get solar and charge at home. Then you can SMASH away without regret!!!! That's what I did and I'm so happy for it. I didn't buy this car for range. I bought this car because it's the cheapest, fastest, dad friendly thing I could get to grow my balls back. hahaha. For me range was secondary. As a father of 2 I couldn't justify buying a 991 or a GT3RS so I did the next best thing imo.

excuse my noobieness but what does "TO" stand for ? hahah. Ideally and personally I'd just like my 19s be squared up and flush with the fender (for the looks) and improved driving dynamics/cornering/handling/confidence. Range is also secondary to me as the Tesla shop and supercharging station is literally only 3-5 mins away from where I live lol.

excuse my noobieness but what does "TO" stand for ? hahah. Ideally and personally I'd just like my 19s be squared up and flush with the fender (for the looks) and improved driving dynamics/cornering/handling/confidence. Range is also secondary to me as the Tesla shop and supercharging station is literally only 3-5 mins away from where I live lol.

Tyres with the designation 'TO'

As I've said before, stock 19 is good enough for street use. For the track I'd go with 18x10.5 which can fit larger brakes.
PSX_20210211_085440.jpg
PSX_20210211_085420.jpg
PSX_20210211_085354.jpg

1. You can, but performance will be worse since stock abs, tc, power distributor assumes square setup. Go with 275x35x19 on 19x9.5 et30 wheels if you need better cornering, track heat management and don't want to go 18 inch. Signature wheels made in your hometown, so should be much cheaper to ship.
2. Any staggered setup would worsen performance. Don't do it.
3. See above. 18 inch would work better on track if you go with harder suspension.

@Mash Just realized something, if you purchase the racing package (if you live in the US), you get the staggered setup from factory for their 20inch racing wheels, why is that if the power distributor assumes square setup? or I'm mistaken?

AFAIK, Signature is made by BC Forged. Might be cheaper to just get some BC forged wheels in TW.
Taiwan Bor-Chuann (BC-racing)

I have done many fitments as well but the first question you need to ask yourself is about range. Are you concerned about range at all? If you go wider than 235 or 245 you will definitely have a loss in range. Anywhere between 15-25% I'd say. In my data collection with numerous clients I have found that wider wheels not only adds friction to cut down on efficiency but people get "throttle happy" also which is totally acceptable and welcomed. lol. I can't drive my car slow anymore. It's too much fun. I've run 265/35/19's and 295/30/19's. I've also had a variety of 18" setups I've done but all with 265/40/18s. I most recently did some photography work for Redwood and showcased their 20x10 Model Y wheel on my Model 3 with some Aspira studded Tesla specific spacers. It looks amazing. 20x10 with 275/30/20. I've attached some images below. I threw in my buddy's Model Y for good measure with the same 20x10 wheel and he's squared up on 285/35/20.

I hope this helps you. Feel free to DM if you have specific questions. View attachment 635463 View attachment 635464 View attachment 635465 View attachment 635466
View attachment 635467

Sent you a pm. @P3D-R

Although this goes against the grain of the general consensus you can do minimally staggered not fully squared and not have terminal oversteer realizing some of the aesthetic advantages of staggered without the handling disadvantages of heavily staggered. Or at least that's what I've been able to achieve with this setup. 265/30 fronts and 275/30 Rears

At least some tire companies (like Michelin) will not warrant their tires for treadwear on staggered setups. Since they cannot be rotated front to rear, they wear out prematurely.
There's no reason to believe that staggered setups abnormally wear tires and if in fact Michelin has that policy which I have not been able to confirm, it's probably because those staggered setups are on performance cars that get thrashed. Not because staggered somehow wears tires. Again why would that be? Also, they can be rotated just left to right. It is not my experience that they wear out prematurely as long as the car is properly aligned they last about the same. Of course the rears in most of the staggered Tire setups that I've used wear out first because all those cars were rear wheel drive.

Both my car and my wife's car have staggered setups mine is minimally staggered while hers is the stock 235/35 (which because of their modified structure are really about as wide in tread as a 255 / 35) and then the Tesla spec 275/30 at the rear. We have not seen anything outside of normal we're giving our driving Styles. But my wife by the way loves to punch it.

Last edited:
I was running stock 19/8.5J/+35 with stock Hankook Evo 3 tyre until last week when I changed to 18*9.5J +35 with Bridgestone RE71RS tires, made a huge world of difference. I don't think I can ever go back to 19 inch given how light 18 inch wheel and tires are. Also 18 inch RE71RS tires so much cheaper than the 19 inch ones.
What tire size though? I recall that the RE71R didn't have an optimal tire size for the 3. The closest was a 255/40/18 which runs slightly shorter in diameter but works. I wish they had made a 265/40 or 275/40/18.

What tire size though? I recall that the RE71R didn't have an optimal tire size for the 3. The closest was a 255/40/18 which runs slightly shorter in diameter but works. I wish they had made a 265/40 or 275/40/18.

ah, forgot to add the size. I'm running 255/40/18 yea. Was trying to find 265/40/18 but couldn't find it. We have RE71RS now instead of the RE71R

You're lucky you can get those. LMK your thoughts. afaik they aren't doing DOT for USA on that so we aren't getting them. insert sad face.
BC forged wheels. 18*9.5 +35 square. 19.14lb each wheel. Had to use 3mm spacer to avoid the lip from the Performance rotors
Tire: Potenza RE-71RS 255/40/18
Thoughts: Super sticky when warmed up, stickier than stock while cold too. Firm sidewall support. Stock Hankook Evo 3 seems like a youth league compared to this beast
Pad: Carbotech XP24 front, XP 20 rear

S__114811170.jpg