Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 M3P Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning on pressing the buy button tonight on the M3P. I am coming from an S5 and now I drive 85-95 miles a day during the week. However, I am questioning whether the range will be sufficient considering I’m driving mainly on the highway at pretty high speeds. I do not have to deal with cold weather since I live in South Florida but do have to drive aggressively to get away from the clowns on the road…and just to get from point A-B faster.

Question for everyone is what is the realistic range difference between M3P with 20” vs Long Range with 19” after market rims when driving about 80 miles a day on the expressway assuming speed is consistent between 70-75.

thanks in advance.
Ps-I know long range with 18 aero wheels would be best bet for range but realistically isn’t going to happen for me

With the current 82kWh Panasonic NCA batteries in the 2021 Model 3 Performance, please do not charge your battery to 100% every day. Only charge to 100% just before a long road trip, and you daily charge should be in the 70% to 90% range, to ensure longer battery life.

Also at 100% charge, your motors will not regenerate energy, giving you no braking from the motors and you will have to use mechanical brakes until some battery is used up.

That said, no problem with 200 miles of range even at like 70 or 80% battery, especially when there is no cold weather

Reactions: TBrownTX
I have a 2020 Long Range M3 with 19 inch wheels. I've heard that the range with that configuration is 310 miles. I live in hilly New England, driving mostly on secondary roads at 50 to 65 mph. This summer was relatively cool, and way cooler than Florida. Since June I've been getting very close to 310 miles of range, but last winter, average range was down to about 280 miles. You live in FL so cold isn't an issue, but heat can be as much of an issue as cold

thanks for the insight! I’ve read countless articles talking about estimated range but hearing from people with first hand experience is very useful.

yeah, it’s super hot here a lot of the year and am guessing the AC cranked up won’t help with range.

thanks for the insight! I’ve read countless articles talking about estimated range but hearing from people with first hand experience is very useful.

yeah, it’s super hot here a lot of the year and am guessing the AC cranked up won’t help with range.
I find cranked up AC isn’t that bad. I can get 200 miles out of the car if I drive conservatively. When road tripping, I find just going very quick at 85mph and supercharging for 15 min vs going slow the whole way to be preferable.

Reactions: P-Lo801 and MC_EV
My M3P was a 2018 on stock 20” wheels; a typical ~55 mile trip (mostly freeway, 75-85mph, no special considerations for range) would consume around 22%. Average efficiency was something around 320 wh/mi. LR on 19s in similar conditions so far is around 280 wh/mi with ~19% consumed. Add a few % for you with the higher speeds and stronger AC use

Reactions: MC_EV
i got the performance model 3 and do 120 miles a day round trip. I drive 80-85mph both ways, i charge to 90% daily, i use about 30% each way and return home with 30% which would give me another 60 miles. My range display has dropped as the car has learned how much power i use, so i switched to percentage, 200 miles is not a problem though, and your commute is no issue.

Reactions: MC_EV and Ninety0ne
You don't need to go to 100% to get 200 miles. 70-80% will get you 251 miles, and based on my experiences it's pretty accurate.
Wow, really? You get 250mi driving mostly on hwy at normal US HWY speeds (~75mph) in a 20” wheel equipped M3P charged to only 80%??? Dam. My 2018 M3P must be an anomaly or they seriously changed battery chem as I would be luck to get 200mi driving at Hwy speeds at only 80% charge. Just… Wow.. I guess..

I get 220-230 wh/mi on my 2021 M3P with TSportline 18 TST wheels. At first I was averaging 300 wh/mi UNTIL I break in my tires. After 1500 miles with the new tires I average 220-230. Can’t stress enough that you won’t see the range benefit until you break in the tires after 1k driving.

220-ish or so on a 90% charge no problem on my longest days. Lots of highway speed, but most of it is 70-75. Rain will hurt range. I run aftermarket 19's, rather than the 20's, but if you are highway speed and relatively steady state, that probably won't make much difference, since it is inertia. I do have some aftermarket aero 18's for trips, but around town, you shouldn't have any problems. I'm still over 100 per day most days.