Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 M3P roof glass broke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heard a loud pop from my garage last week and didn't think much of it. Maybe it's just a coincidence but I noticed that I have a huge crack going through my sunroof glass - the portion that's over the front seats. The crack goes from the top of the windshield (a little left up the center), up about 10 inches, then hangs left and continues to the left over a foot to the edge. I'm at work, so no pics as they're on my phone.

No obvious impact crater like you'd normally see when you hit a rock or something as far as I can tell.

Scheduled an appt with Tesla to take a look, but the earlier slot that I could find for my local service center is the first week of April.

What's the over/under on Tesla covering this under warranty as glass panels aren't supposed to spontaneously break?

• Informative
Reactions: Carolina Karl
It's usually the rear glass that breaks from stress cracks, the front is more rare, although there are cases.

An impact crack usually will have an impact point and won't be smooth. Stress cracks usually would be smooth on outside and usually on inside. Stress cracks would be covered under warranty. Note if no warranty coverage, a lot of insurance policies have low or no deductible glass coverage.

IMG_1496.jpgIMG_1497.jpgIMG_1498.jpgIMG_1494.jpg

Pictures attached. It's smooth on the inside, can feel it on the outside. Looks like it started where the inside frame meets the glass then spread down and up/over.

View attachment 770683View attachment 770684View attachment 770681View attachment 770682

Pictures attached. It's smooth on the inside, can feel it on the outside. Looks like it started where the inside frame meets the glass then spread down and up/over.
Unfortunately that's the opposite of what you want for an easy case. The picture of the outside looks like it has a chip that could be an impact point (although it could be the angle of the picture and reflections). I guess you will have to wait for Tesla's evaluation.

In the early days (back in 2018), Tesla still covered if it happened shortly after delivery (and they seemed to follow a set pattern, with one crack that spread into 4 or more), but presumably they fixed that issue.
Large crack in pano roof

Last edited:
Unfortunately that's the opposite of what you want for an easy case. The picture of the outside looks like it has a chip that could be an impact point (although it could be the angle of the picture and reflections). I guess you will have to wait for Tesla's evaluation.

In the early days (back in 2018), Tesla still covered if it happened shortly after delivery (and they seemed to follow a set pattern, with one crack that spread into 4 or more), but presumably they fixed that issue.
Large crack in pano roof
Guess I'll find out when I take it in in April. I think the crack started where the inner frame meets the window then spread from there. Possible it's an impact point, but it's a really weird point... it's almost flat right there. Odds of something hitting right there seem low. One of my interior pictures shows what looks like an impact point, but that small white circle is actually glare - doesn't really exist when you look at it.
Just be sure to wipe her footprints off the inside of the glass before you take it in. ;)
Footprints are easy... cleaning off the dried hair gel is another matter!

My less than 1 week old M3P now has a cracked roof glass too. 😥

IMG_1533.jpeg

My driveway entry is at an angle but nothing extreme. Could body torsion cause this? I'm pretty sure there wasn't any impact of any sort.

Yep, service scheduled. Having had the car for 4 days, intrigued by what could have caused this. Car has either been on my garage or being driven by me.

In your picture there also seems to be a "line" on the headliner that leads directly to the crack on the roof. Does that exist in real life or is it just picture artifacts?

In your picture there also seems to be a "line" on the headliner that leads directly to the crack on the roof. Does that exist in real life or is it just picture artifacts?
That's the shadow caused by the crack on the glass.

And I just got informed by the Tesla Services that the car was inspected at arrival, no issues were found, so this is on me. This was going too well for me I guess. Such a disappointment. I'm going to be loud about this, but at this point is my word against theirs, so my hopes are pretty low.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
That's the shadow caused by the crack on the glass.

And I just got informed by the Tesla Services that the car was inspected at arrival, no issues were found, so this is on me. This was going too well for me I guess. Such a disappointment. I'm going to be loud about this, but at this point is my word against theirs, so my hopes are pretty low.
I don't think is how it went in previous cases. They need to inspect it in person to demonstrate that there was an impact point on the outside of the glass for it to not be covered warranty. You can feel the crack to see if it is on the inside or outside, if it's inside, that's a stronger case for you. If it's outside, look for if there is a possible impact point where it could have been a rock. Just be careful not to further cause further chipping when feeling for the crack.

There's been cases of cars that crack shortly after delivery without an impact point and it was covered under warranty.

Reactions: kimi
I had my Tesla appt today and same thing. They said mine was from a rock and not a stress fracture, so I guess I'm going to have to file a comprehensive claim with my insurance company over it.

They looked at my roof for all of 1 sec. They said that stress fractures are smooth and can't be felt from the outside and mine can be felt at 1 point where the crack started.

Given that the only part that can be felt is a quarter inch straight straight line that's less than 1/16" thick (not a spiderweb) I must have gotten hit by the smallest rock in a nearly impossible place or they're full of it, but what are you going to do? Guess it's off to the insurance company to see what they say.

Well that’s crap. My rear glass cracked a few months into ownership. The crack could be felt outside and not inside. No impact marks. Tesla SC replaced it under warranty. The manager told me it’s most likely due to an error in the assembly process and that they have yet to re-replace any roof glass. Also, possibly due to a drastic change in temps, which did happen.

After some back and forth with the support agent via SMS, they're now saying to go to the service center for them to have a look. We'll see how that goes. The fracture can be felt with your finger from the outside, but there's no impact marks. You really have to look for it though, under certain lighting you can't see it, so I'm hoping that will help my case.

Reactions: RipVanFinkle
Here is a close up of what I believe to be the origination point of my crack. The part you can feel is about 0.75 inch long (starting from 2.25 and ending around 3.0 on that ruler).

There are 3 main points before the crack smooths out around the 2.25, 2.5, and 2.75 inch marks. If this is a rock chip, it's a heck of a weird one.

What do you guys think? Impact or stress?

Started a claim with my insurance waiting for them to run it through their glass crack processor.

IMG_1505.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC