Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Air Filter different?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not know if the new 2021 model 3 suffer from the same smelling sock syndrome that requires a filter change and cleaning of the duct. If is does, with the center console redesign I wonder if the filter changing is the same procedure.
The new console does not appear to snap off like the old one did.

s

supposedly. But I still get it, even after changing the filters and spraying the little foaming thing. It just smells less than it did pre update.

Try it again with a new filter and TWO cans of foaming stuff. I did it with just one can and it lasted a month and a half....Did it again with two cans and it worked and its lasting. Just a hint.

Now I'm curious how to change the air filter on my 2021. Couldn't find a video of it. And it hasn't been answered if the filter is the same. One thing I was disappointed is that there's no freaking screen material to prevent crap from getting into HVAC. Even a squirrel could get in there. Ha ha. Might try to install fiberglass door screen material in there somehow.

Now I'm curious how to change the air filter on my 2021. Couldn't find a video of it. And it hasn't been answered if the filter is the same. One thing I was disappointed is that there's no freaking screen material to prevent crap from getting into HVAC. Even a squirrel could get in there. Ha ha. Might try to install fiberglass door screen material in there somehow.
Plenty of companies make covers.
Try abstract ocean

I don't know the answer to the OP's original question, but I saw a news report today that some Model Y's in China are coming equipped with a new HEPA filter that is on par with the bio defense mode in the Model S. The reporter said this was due to the air polution in China and there was a good chance that eventually all Model Y's and Model 3's might have this as an option.

I don't know the answer to the OP's original question, but I saw a news report today that some Model Y's in China are coming equipped with a new HEPA filter that is on par with the bio defense mode in the Model S. The reporter said this was due to the air polution in China and there was a good chance that eventually all Model Y's and Model 3's might have this as an option.
I remember watching a video or reading an article that while the Model Y will get it, the Model 3 will not due to less space.

The 2021 includes a heat pump heater, heat pump cooler, and electric heater all inside the HVAC box. One of the neat things this allows them to do is efficient cabin dehumidification by running the heat pump in heat and cool mode simultaneously. Water condenses on the cold side and drips onto the ground then the cabin air is heated back up to its original temperature so very little energy is consumed. This is one of the reasons 2021's seem so restless in their sleep.

Previous models could do this as well but they'd use a regular air conditioner fighting a regular electric heater so they probably didn't do it nearly as often.

Many makes and models are susceptible to this mildew issue for many reasons, but the system in 2021+ Teslas appears to have the best prevention potential of any car ever.

The filter is the same between years and goes in the same place, but is slightly easier on the 2021 since there is no longer a high voltage cable in the way.

BTW @elptxjc there is a piece of chicken wire on the firewall to prevent racoons and larger snakes from getting into the cabin. If you're sure there are no animals in there, you can reach down into the duct to retrieve any debris that might have built up along the fence.