Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either way...it’s still a loss since I can fit large cylinders like a yeti tumber/rambler in that yellow space and have the top open like a hatch and it protrude outside.

true. and depending on how those usb ports are situated, you may have a to be a bit more careful sliding stuff in and out, or have to disconnect/reconnect to be sure you don't bend something too much.

Either way, the 2020 Q2/Q3 "semi-refresh" with 3x usb-c and the wireless pad were pretty close, aesthetics aside, just for the center console. I'm happy I didn't wait.

It's also possible that the pocket currently housing the door is now open space increasing storage in the space immediately in front of the cup holders. So overall volume may be similar but just a different shape which will work out better for some and worse for some.

Reactions: imola.zhp
Is it a newer cost cutting method by Tesla? I coulda sworn they both had double power struts
Not sure but I found this parts diagram for the S and seems to show 1 powered strut and 1 passive.
model S trunk.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: srk67
Not sure but I found this parts diagram for the S and seems to show 1 powered strut and 1 passive.View attachment 599763
Same on Model Y. But they look the same on the outside
Liftgate power strut LH
1500601-00-A Over-the-Counter(No VIN) $0.00 1

Liftgate assist strut RH
1500602-00-A Over-the-Counter(No VIN) $0.00 1

But the picture of that 3 shows one gas strut that looks different. No idea, Model 3 is not updated yet in the parts catalogue.

Reactions: tlr1000
I'm just trying to establish if the laminated glass you refer to in the parts catalogue is, in your opinion, confirmation that there is indeed new double pane noise reducing glass as rumoured but as yet not seemingly confirmed in any lists etc received from Tesla ?

I'm in the camp of waiting for actual vehicles being delivered so we can know for sure. That wait should not be much longer now. I'm still ordering two M3 AWD LR's about November 1st whether it has the laminated glass or not.

Oh. One is a fake power strut lol. That makes sense. From looking outside in you woulda never known. In the model 3 pic it looks like a gas strut that we currently have.

I looked around online a bit and think that it's industry standard for power liftgates/trunks to only have one powered strut and the other passive. Here's a pic of a set for a 2011-19 Mercedes GLE:

mercedes strut.jpg

So maybe the aftermarket guys like TeslaOffer are over-engineering with 2 power struts.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Don't know the details of your situation but I'd be tempted to rent or borrow a car to wait for the 2021 to get the range, heatpump, acceleration, and power trunk.

thought about it, but rental for a month or more would be expensive whereas this is getting me a slightly better price than I initially planned. The Tesla was a hard enough sell to the wife lol. I’d like the heat pump for efficiency but other than that the other changes are a non-issue for me

thought about it, but rental for a month or more would be expensive whereas this is getting me a slightly better price than I initially planned. The Tesla was a hard enough sell to the wife lol. I’d like the heat pump for efficiency but other than that the other changes are a non-issue for me
If there's the slightest chance she could change her mind, lock it in now! lol Kidding aside, a revised one would also have better resale later but I totally get your situation. No matter current or revised, it'll still be a great car that you will enjoy!

Looks like you do live in a cold state. I highly suggest you get one with a heat pump. Normal driving most of us are realistically around 220-240 real miles without one. During cold weather you’re only gonna get 160ish miles. Don’t go off EPA miles. I’d suggest reading or asking someone local on their “real” miles.