Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I got the long range model, 18”wheels and white interior.
I see that the "mass in running order" says 1919kg. Is this the weight of the car? If it is, then it seems a bit heavier compared to the 2020 model. I assume you got the awd long range model.
If this is the case, I wonder if it is a bit heavier due to the bigger battery..?
I have a 2019 and the mass in running order is more than 2021 1931kg, but the actual mass of the vehicle is written as less - 1919kg. But I assume this is an error in the papers.

I assume the actual mass in the 2019 is 1919 and the running is 1931kg, they switched them by mistake. His papers suggest actual mass 1955kg, mine would be 1931kg so 25kg more. I doubt it has anything to do with the battery.
Mine is also 18" AWD.
So either heat pump or tow hitch.

Nyland has measured the P with 20" and driver 70kg to about 1960kg and I know the AWD is lighter to below 1900kg without driver so not sure what these numbers mean, if anything.

Last edited:
Hey, I was just browsing /r/teslamotors when I came across the post claiming they discontinued the SR now and someone in the comments said that it could be realistic that they dropped the price of the SR+ and also introduce the LR RWD for 39k, do you think this could actually happen?

Source: Tesla halts $35k Model 3 Standard Range sales amid rollout of ‘refresh’ vehicles : teslamotors

I think they realize that 220mi capacity is too low for most people or maybe they are just trying to make more $ before the end of the year. If they did lower the price of the SR+ to 35K then the LR AWD would be around 44K if the price difference stayed the same as it is now. That's my guess.

I have a 2019 and the mass in running order is more than 2021 1931kg, but the actual mass of the vehicle is written as less - 1919kg. But I assume this is an error in the papers.

I assume the actual mass in the 2019 is 1919 and the running is 1931kg, they switched them by mistake. His papers suggest actual mass 1955kg, mine would be 1931kg so 25kg more. I doubt it has anything to do with the battery.
Mine is also 18" AWD.
So either heat pump or tow hitch.

Nyland has measured the P with 20" and driver 70kg to about 1960kg and I know the AWD is lighter to below 1900kg without driver so not sure what these numbers mean, if anything.
I didn't order the tow hitch.

Refresh TPMS System: I received an email from TPMS.com referencing my order for sensors for my winter wheelset that I am having built. They confirmed the suspected issue and cancelled my order for the 433 Mhz sensors. They said they were informed that the refresh has the Model Y BLE sensors. They did not offer to sell me that alternative so it appears these are still only available via Tesla direct for now.

• Informative
Reactions: ehacke

The new headlights, have no idea what he's saying though :confused:

Edit: These two pictures are taken in between switching on and off highbeams, and by the looks of it it isn't large LEDs, but divided into multiple ones like pixels. And you can see them kinda pixelating when he switches high/low beam, a lot like matrix headlights here in Europe where you can drive with high beams and section out the car in front or oncoming car.

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 00.56.36.png
Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 00.54.34.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Zakalwe
Thank you for the reply!
I have heard that having it set to low is better/easier on the highway and on snow/ice, I wonder why it was so hard to keep things as they were..

i test drove a 2020 with the latest software updates and it already didn't have a toggle for this. test drove another 2020 earlier that day (P vs LR) and it did have the toggle. i'm assuming its removed going forward

Thank you for the reply!
I have heard that having it set to low is better/easier on the highway and on snow/ice, I wonder why it was so hard to keep things as they were..

Yes. I have a 2015 70D and during the winter I preferred to set the regen to Low. I've found the S to handle better in the snow when regen isn't set to Normal. As with everything, though, it is the driver's preference. I will have to get used to the change as my 70D is soon to be replaced with a 2021 LR. I can deal with it!

Reactions: SmartElectric
Yes. I have a 2015 70D and during the winter I preferred to set the regen to Low. I've found the S to handle better in the snow when regen isn't set to Normal. As with everything, though, it is the driver's preference. I will have to get used to the change as my 70D is soon to be replaced with a 2021 LR. I can deal with it!
Yes, in the winter the car is almost undrivable in standard, especially on snowy downhill. Had the experience last year, it was skidding on 10 degrees downhill. Changed to low and it immediatelly was way better, no skidding. 95% of the cases will be irrelevant, but it will be a pain in the snow for the other 5%...