Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let’s hope so. Is anyone planning to dyno their M3P?

Also, I’m not sure if the question of the additional range for the M3 is attributed to the gain in battery capacity or if the “efficiency package” was from just the heat pump and other efficiencies unrelated to the battery. Has this bee settled?

At the moment it looks like in Germany the Long Range and Performance cars are being shipped with three different battery sizes.
-77 KWh (SMT Full Pack When New = 74.5 KWh)
-79 KWh (probably the old 77.8 KWh pack)
-82 KWh (SMT read-out not performed yet)

People have been very busy plotting VIN numbers and production dates to understand the system as to which battery goes when into which model.

Übersicht 2021 LR / P Batteriekapazität Fahrzeugschein
Übersicht 2021 LR / P Batteriekapazität Fahrzeugschein

Did I miss something here or why isnt this discussed in the states as well? People are surely puzzled why some are getting a smaller battery pack in the refreshed model, which is advertised with a higher range.

And a sure way to rusty breaks and premature replacement. High regen is good, but you have to have a way of controlling it.

Also, try doing that on a 10° slope, going down in the snow. Not fun.
Regen + hold isn’t always perfect, so I still end up using the lightly braking regularly (i.e., unexpected braking or poor timing).

If I recall correctly, a Model 3 owner with close to 100k miles had never needed to replace his brake pads. He was notable at the time for having one of, if not the, most driven Model 3’s.

Set the car in neutral, like you would any other automatic
That will make it even worse as you will have to keep pushing the break - hence skidding. Low regen is the way to go, normally you use the motor break on ICE and lower the gear in such scenarios, so low regen is equivalent to that.

If I recall correctly, a Model 3 owner with close to 100k miles had never needed to replace his brake pads. He was notable at the time for having one of, if not the, most driven Model 3’s.
That is most likely because we didn't have hold for a long while and they were in a warm climate. I have seen a bunch of Kias and Leafs that needed break replacement, because of high regen. They just rusted away.