Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range compare:

Attachments

• 0FCD073C-1A38-43B0-BA9B-260988C0BCCB.png
    0FCD073C-1A38-43B0-BA9B-260988C0BCCB.png
    701.8 KB · Views: 355
I wish someone would run a head-to-head noise test using a controlled environment. It shouldn't be that hard. Just get a garage, put some speakers in it, and play the same music/noise at the same volume from the same speakers back to back with the doors closed while measuring with a decibel meter in the car. This eliminates inconsistencies from road testing including noise from vibration/equipment movement as well as differences in traffic, speed, weather, etc. I don't trust any of the road tests I've seen to produce reliable results.

Just picked up a 2021 LR in the US on Saturday...now I’m curious how large my battery is. Sounds like I should get an OBD device so I can run SMT. Also seems like the German folks get more data in their paperwork than we do.

I’m planning to drive about 315 miles round-trip from Portland to Sisters next weekend. Seems like a good opportunity to do a real-world range test from 100%. Weather here in Oregon is a bit chilly but with the heat pump maybe it’ll make it the whole way. There are enough charging stations along I-5 to go charge at the last minute if it can’t make it all the way back.

Edit: The Monroney sticker on my car does indicate 353 miles of range, for what that’s worth.

Last edited:
Just picked up a 2021 LR in the US on Saturday...now I’m curious how large my battery is. Sounds like I should get an OBD device so I can run SMT. Also seems like the German folks get more data in their paperwork than we do.

I’m planning to drive about 315 miles round-trip from Portland to Sisters next weekend. Seems like a good opportunity to do a real-world range test from 100%. Weather here in Oregon is a bit chilly but with the heat pump maybe it’ll make it the whole way. There are enough charging stations along I-5 to go charge at the last minute if it can’t make it all the way back.

Edit: The Monroney sticker on my car does indicate 353 miles of range, for what that’s worth.
@kxts Congratulations! Share a pic when you get a chance and please report back with your findings, whatever they may be, post trip. Stay safe. MJP

now I’m curious how large my battery is.

I can't find it now, but there is a quick video here that shows a plate on the frame with the battery size info inside of the passenger front wheel towards the center. If you look behind the passenger tire towards the center of the vehicle it's towards the bottom of the frame. Easier to see if the wheels are turned to the left.

There's another plate under the Frunk plastic cover.

Sounds like I should get an OBD device so I can run SMT.
Which country are you in? Def get the SMT OBD adapter. It seems there are 3 variants in the wild: 77.8kWh old version, 77.8kWh new version(probably with a bit more top buffer) and a 74.5 kWh LG version that seems to supercharge very slow. I think by supercharging on a V3 or 200kW charger you will be able to recognize which one you have. The Pana ones can go to about 100kW to about 60% whereas the LG ones go below that pretty fast, at 35% or so.

http://img.suv666.com/mcn/news/article/b200b7293ea33f60aaf1b06101a0f6d5.jpeg-690x

10-80% Pana 25 mins
10-80% LG about 37mins

Reactions: Sbax
Which country are you in? Def get the SMT OBD adapter. It seems there are 3 variants in the wild: 77.8kWh old version, 77.8kWh new version(probably with a bit more top buffer) and a 74.5 kWh LG version that seems to supercharge very slow. I think by supercharging on a V3 or 200kW charger you will be able to recognize which one you have. The Pana ones can go to about 100kW to about 60% whereas the LG ones go below that pretty fast, at 35% or so.

http://img.suv666.com/mcn/news/article/b200b7293ea33f60aaf1b06101a0f6d5.jpeg-690x

10-80% Pana 25 mins
10-80% LG about 37mins

I’m in the US. Just ordered an OBD adapter (the OHP Tools one) and will report back when I have that.

Thanks for the additional info, that’s very helpful. I’ll supercharge for the first time next weekend and will aim to use a V3 charger so I can see if it matches one of those charging curves.

I wonder if the LG batteries just haven’t had enough testing yet for Tesla to be confident they can safely charge at a faster rate. Hopefully Tesla will update them to a faster charging rate sometime down the road when they have more data.

I can't find it now, but there is a quick video here that shows a plate on the frame with the battery size info inside of the passenger front wheel towards the center. If you look behind the passenger tire towards the center of the vehicle it's towards the bottom of the frame. Easier to see if the wheels are turned to the left.

There's another plate under the Frunk plastic cover.

I saw that video but my car does not have a plate in the wheel well (checked the driver side too.) I’ll try to disassemble my frunk this weekend to see if I have a plate there.

Reactions: Mark57 and Pemple
Make sure to preheat the car good, try preheating within the app with car closed for an hour.
You need this adapter with a Bluetooth OBD reader
Tesla Adapters Archives | GPSTrackingAmerica.com

Got it, thanks. I found a similar adapter on Amazon and picked up a Veepeak OBD device to go with it. (Seems like a lot of folks recommend the $100 OBDLink MX+, but I suspect the $40 Veepeak will be sufficient for my needs...maybe slower update rate?)

There is one with 535km/332 miles, but there is also one with the bigger battery showing 545-550km extrapolated to 100%

I do confirm (EU car) the same 535km/332 miles, extrapolated from 80% and 56% SOC, remaining constant. Update 2020.44.25.
Temperatures ranging btw 15° and 7° Celsius, which doesn't seem to make a difference in the reading.
I'll believe in the 550km when i'll see it.

I suspect much whining will ensue when the USA folks start getting their 2021 LR cars and not seeing 353 miles. Seriously though, how can Tesla advertise 353 miles with the battery lottery that's supposedly going on, and especially when some might actually see 353 miles and some seeing 332.

332 miles is the EPA result of the 2-cycle test
353 miles is the EPA result of the 5-cycle test
I don't believe will be any battery lottery, you'll see 332 miles.

But the US LR 2021 are already delivered, included @kxts that could give a reading, rather than the Monroney sticker.

First noise test between a 2020 and 2021 I've seen. As I suspected, the double pane glass makes no difference, at least at the speeds tested. It might make some difference to reduce wind noise at higher speeds, but I think much of the loudness from the Model 3 comes from road noise.

I've tested my 2021 LR just up to 110 km/h - 70 mph on a short stretch with speed limit and i can say i'm impressed by the silence and the absence of any aerodynamic noise whatsoever.
An intermittent whine at intermediate speed coming from the motors is a bit irritating, but i don't think is a new one...

Last edited:
Is there a wider conversation on the battery issues with LG packs not supercharging? i am concerned about putting in an order now and potentially getting permanently slower supercharging based on a random battery pack choice from the factory. Can we isolate whether it is random or not, whether waiting for more information to emerge creates a greater chance of getting an LG pack due to more in circulation and whether it will ever be on par with panasonic in the future?

I do confirm (EU car) the same 535km/332 miles, extrapolated from 80% and 56% SOC, remaining constant. Update 2020.44.25.
Temperatures ranging btw 15° and 7° Celsius, which doesn't seem to make a difference in the reading.
I'll believe in the 550km when i'll see it.

332 miles is the EPA result of the 2-cycle test
353 miles is the EPA result of the 5-cycle test
I don't believe will be any battery lottery, you'll see 332 miles.

But the US LR 2021 are already delivered, included @kxts that could give a reading, rather than the Monroney sticker.

I thought I had mentioned it in this thread but I didn’t.

I’m seeing 274 miles at 79% currently, so extrapolates to 347 miles. Lowest I’ve been so far is 73% (251 miles), extrapolates to 344 miles. Temps around 40 - 50F.

I’ll report back with some better data after I go on that road trip on Sunday. Need to get a new socket wrench as well so I can disassemble my frunk and look for a battery sticker.