Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I had mentioned it in this thread but I didn’t.

I’m seeing 274 miles at 79% currently, so extrapolates to 347 miles. Lowest I’ve been so far is 73% (251 miles), extrapolates to 344 miles. Temps around 40 - 50F.

I’ll report back with some better data after I go on that road trip on Sunday. Need to get a new socket wrench as well so I can disassemble my frunk and look for a battery sticker.

I am taking delivery of my LR AWD end of this month. Now that there is no more return policy, I want to make sure I am getting the car that I think I'm getting. How do I ensure on delivery day that I am getting a car with the larger battery pack? I would have just gotten a used LR if the battery packs were the same as this was a major selling point for me.

Thank you

Reactions: To3OrNotTo3
Just picked up a 2021 LR in the US on Saturday...now I’m curious how large my battery is. Sounds like I should get an OBD device so I can run SMT. Also seems like the German folks get more data in their paperwork than we do.

I’m planning to drive about 315 miles round-trip from Portland to Sisters next weekend. Seems like a good opportunity to do a real-world range test from 100%. Weather here in Oregon is a bit chilly but with the heat pump maybe it’ll make it the whole way. There are enough charging stations along I-5 to go charge at the last minute if it can’t make it all the way back.

Edit: The Monroney sticker on my car does indicate 353 miles of range, for what that’s worth.

Post a pic of miles displayed at 100%

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
that story of the batteries is becoming a mess.

The 74,5 kWh seems to be the net USABLE power of ALL batteries, the 2020, the 2021 77 kWh and the 82 kWh (the 2 latters from germany papers). Whether there's a real difference on US-produced batteries (it include the EU LR and P cars), should be, for the moment in the buffer. The guy that works at GigaNevada, Bill, i think created some confusion, and others are contradicting him.

At this point in time should be no difference of effective range btw 2021 LR models (US & EU).
Whether is confirmed 2 different batteries 77 & 82 does exists, will should only see differences in future, with differential updates.

The LG chem is the China long range, not coming to EU nor US.

• Disagree
Reactions: TimothyHW3
2021 cars with heat pump much more efficient to keep interior warm. Interesting that the new cars with heat pump now does not engage the AC when running heat on auto. Bjorn made the same observation. Yes I realize having the AC button on or off does not necessarily mean it's actually on or off, but in the pre heat pump cars when using auto the AC button will always be on.

Trying to order Eibach lowering spring for 2021 LR AWD (expecting delivery in 2-3 weeks). Anyone have information if springs are the same for 2020 vs 2021. Called Eibach and they said they dont have information on 2021 springs yet. Any help is appreciated

2021 cars with heat pump much more efficient to keep interior warm. Interesting that the new cars with heat pump now does not engage the AC when running heat on auto.
Since there's only one compressor, it can only be used for either heating or cooling and not both at the same time. If defrosting / dehumidifying is required, it will probably fall back to resistance heating and then run the AC to condense the moisture out of the air.

Looking at the Model Y parts catalog, it's not obvious how the system handles this - it seems to be incomplete.

Since there's only one compressor, it can only be used for either heating or cooling and not both at the same time. If defrosting / dehumidifying is required, it will probably fall back to resistance heating and then run the AC to condense the moisture out of the air.
So everytime I hit the AC button it runs PTC + the AC compressor? Interesting, will have to test this. Maybe this is why some people don't see any difference and others do. Although I saw a test today where the guy claimed both cars were with AC off and 2021 and 2019 no difference in consumption, but he isn't very reliable and his test are very random...

Looking at the Model Y parts catalog, it's not obvious how the system handles this - it seems to be incomplete.

No, they implemented dual coils so it can do both at the same time .

that story of the batteries is becoming a mess.

The 74,5 kWh seems to be the net USABLE power of ALL batteries, the 2020, the 2021 77 kWh and the 82 kWh (the 2 latters from germany papers). Whether there's a real difference on US-produced batteries (it include the EU LR and P cars), should be, for the moment in the buffer. The guy that works at GigaNevada, Bill, i think created some confusion, and others are contradicting him.

At this point in time should be no difference of effective range btw 2021 LR models (US & EU).
Whether is confirmed 2 different batteries 77 & 82 does exists, will should only see differences in future, with differential updates.

The LG chem is the China long range, not coming to EU nor US.
Very disappointing that the range "increase" is only from having a more favorable multiplier on the epa test cycle.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
Very disappointing that the range "increase" is only from having a more favorable multiplier on the epa test cycle
What is the disappointing part of this - Tesla has been doing that at least since the RWD LR 2018 model when they increased the range by simply moving the consumption down. They just went into extreme mode with that 2021 model where on paper the car has 40 more miles than a 2019-20 model, even though driven side by side the car's efficiency is exactly the same. Ontop of that some of these 21 models were delivered with less capacity which makes the whole thing even more ridiculous.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
What is the disappointing part of this - Tesla has been doing that at least since the RWD LR 2018 model when they increased the range by simply moving the consumption down. They just went into extreme mode with that 2021 model where on paper the car has 40 more miles than a 2019-20 model, even though driven side by side the car's efficiency is exactly the same. Ontop of that some of these 21 models were delivered with less capacity which makes the whole thing even more ridiculous.
That actually makes me really worried. I am picking up a new LR AWD Model 3 end of the month because I thought the battery was bigger, until reading this thread which was eye opening. I always knew that there was a huge delta with Tesla's regarding real world range and EPA figures, so is this likely even bigger now than with a preowned LR?

Also, I'm too new so I can't edit my posts, but Tesla never actually increased the range with any of their previous software updates other than increasing the miles number on the screen? Why aren't more owners up in arms about this?

Tesla has a patent on the design, but I don't have a link to it handy. I suspect if you search for posts by @mongo for patents you will find the threads that discuss the heat pump system.
You rang? :)

Do you have any diagrams or pics? Would love to see how this works.
Here ya go!
US20190070924A1 - Optimal source electric vehicle heat pump with extreme temperature heating capability and efficient thermal preconditioning - Google Patents

Sandy Munro did some videos on it too.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV and MP3Mike
Also, I'm too new so I can't edit my posts, but Tesla never actually increased the range with any of their previous software updates other than increasing the miles number on the screen? Why aren't more owners up in arms about this?

Tesla has actually increased range with software updates. But other times the increase was just adjusting the consumption number or releasing locked away capacity.